Terry Prather QM.15 Composite wing build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 15, 2017, 09:34 PM
Discussion

Terry Prather QM.15 Composite wing build

Well I have started to build a wing as close to perfect as I can make it without cutting ailerons etc so I can use it to make a mold .
I am aiming to make a composite wing to see how much lighter the wing can be .
I also might need to build replacements fast if i want to fly these and continue to fly
I've seen piles of painted wood posted by other pilots and mine will likely end up the same .
So as to not be too repetitious I,ll try to post more of the differences than the whole build as you probably have seen wings being skinned , shaped, etc ; before .
If I do this right i should be able to use this wing once I've made a mold out of it .
We will see.
Last edited by leo turt; Jun 15, 2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2017, 09:38 PM
It's been raining off and on for days and if it keeps up i may get more done soon .
Sep 10, 2017, 12:01 AM
I would like one for my toni
Nov 14, 2017, 10:59 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
" ... a sander longer than the surface to be sanded." There's a nugget of wisdom I've stepped right over for 40 years & never stopped to pick up. Thanks! This is a fascinating, well documented project!
Nov 17, 2017, 08:53 PM

Most of the sanding done just wing tips left to shape .

Thanks Duane .
Wing tips are the part i find to be difficult .
Trying to get a nice curve on a surface that has no fixed thickness.
It's even worse than the leading edge .
Last edited by leo turt; Nov 18, 2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: missedwords
Nov 18, 2017, 01:27 PM

It's easy to stay motivaed this time of year .

One look outside and it's back to the pool room and my Tony wing.
Snow and -11C keep me indoors .
The laminated cloth has been a total success so far the trailing edge is sanded thin and if i had sanded that thin with just wood i would have had to repair the pieces I broke off by now.
There is only one small chip out of the one end of the aileron and glassing will repair it .
One other perk is the ailerons are dead straight so far.
Nov 18, 2017, 08:06 PM

It's beeen a good week

I've made a lot of progress this week .
Back to work Monday .
That will slow things down .
Yesterday, 11:00 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Looking good! I see the next project sitting behind it.

I'll give you a nickel for one of those green Kelly props!!

Cheers,
Duane
Yesterday, 06:34 PM
Wandering IT geek
I've got a Kevin Mathey Rivets that I'm planning on building... or rather supplying a MUCH better builder than I with beer and learning from him so I don't screw it up and have to buy another one

Wondering how the Horizontal stab gets built on your QM15? Is it built up or just flat wood or...? Kevin's plane didn't come with much in the way of instructions.

Thanks!
Today, 11:15 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Wondering how the Horizontal stab gets built on your QM15?
The traditional (practically universal) method is a slab of 3/16" or 1/4" light balsa with 1/64" ply strips inset into the edges, then sand the balsa down to meet the ply. Cut at the hinge line, install hinges, finish with MonoKote or light glass & paint.

If I were to build one today, I'd make a sandwich with 2 layers of 3/32" or 1/8" balsa and a strip of glass or Kevlar cloth in between along where the hinge line will be, plus 1/64" ply or CF strips around the edges. Sand down to the ply at the edges, carefully cut through the balsa along the hinge line down to the glass strip, and it ends up perfectly aligned & pre-hinged.

Cheers,
Duane
Today, 11:17 AM
Wandering IT geek
Thanks Duane! Good info!
Today, 04:46 PM
I agree with Dwayne I like the laminated layers.
For me the hardest part of building was getting the hinges in the middle and lined up without showing lumps or dents in the surface above and below the hinges . I'm going to use two layers of balsa with Kevlar in the hinge line then glass cloth and a few light strands of carbon tow for leading edge and trailing edge reinforcement and some where the Kevlar ends on top off the glass .My Kevlar is a bit thicker than my glass so the carbon wont make a lump .then vacuum bag them on a sheet of glass.
the carbon Kevlar trailing edges i made are great ,but The cloth was 6oz .which is way too heavy .under 2 oz and .75 glass Kevlar would be more than heavy enough..