Questions about Syma X5C crash - RC Groups
Jun 15, 2017, 07:27 PM
Discussion

Questions about Syma X5C crash

First of all, I apologize if this is in the wrong subforum. I haven't been around in a while, and I see some of the forum categories have changed. Since the X5C is not a true drone, my first instinct would have been to post this in Micro RTF or something, but that category seems to not exist anymore.

Anyway, I recently made the mistake of flying my X5C on a too-windy day, and the wind was soon carrying the thing away, despite my frantic efforts to bring it back.

Worried it might fall on people or cars instead of grass or trees, I put my left stick down to zero.

Now here's where it gets interesting: Watching the onboard video of this crash, I see that the X5C spun horizontally as it plummeted to the Earth.

My question is, does this happen by design, and does that rotation slow the craft's descent? Like, is this a feature built into the thing in order to maximize its ability to survive if it abruptly loses the signal from the transmitter?

The thing landed on pavement, bounced once, and came to rest upside-down, yet completely undamaged. That is kind of remarkable, given that it's made of hard plastic, and not foam.

Here's the video, by the way:

Syma X5C Quadcopter crash and fail (1 min 58 sec)

Anybody have any idea how I up that thing was before it began to fall?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2017, 07:16 PM
flightsuit "...is this a feature built into the thing in order to maximize its ability to survive if it abruptly loses the signal from the transmitter?"
I do not for one minute believe that someone in China sat down at a drawing board and actually thought this through. The X5C costs what, maybe $15 to manufacture and they've sold bazillions of them for $45 to $90 here and around the world.
It's a combination of size, shape and very light weight construction that just happen to come together in a great, tough little package. My first one I had up to between 360 and 400 feet AGL (I know that because the recovered video showed the tip of the adjoining radio tower of 361 feet to be below the horizon) when I lost contact/something failed. Just like yours, down it swirled and landed upside down on a concrete road. I picked it up, re-bound it and we flew home together as I walked along behind it. You just can't beat it! I have 3 of the little buggers including that original...replaced two motors and she still flies like a champ...two years old last month.
Jun 19, 2017, 07:29 PM
Thanks for your reply; I appreciate your insight! Those things are pretty fun for what they are!