Trying something new - Micro jets for EDF or pusher - RC Groups
Jun 14, 2017, 02:06 PM
ParkScaleModels
Discussion

Trying something new - Micro jets for EDF or pusher

So I wanted to come up with something new that would be quick to design and quick to build. I really like how my redesign of the 40mm EDF Bullet turned out, having the wing framing integrated in with the fuselage base, so I wanted something that would lend itself to the same style of construction. I've always liked the look of the Bandit, so I thought I would use that as a starting point. I wanted a design that could be built as a pusher or use an EDF unit. I really wanted it to be small, so I decided on either a 30mm EDF or a 10g outrunner as the power options...so, small and light are the order of the day!

So here's what I came up with. I used a common fuselage, but have come up with three different wing/stab arrangements. I need to pick up a 30mm EDF so that I can get it measured and figure out placement of the unit and hardware, so for now I am just going with the pusher config for the prototype(s).

I finished up the laser cut file last night, so of course I had to cut a set of parts...which I then proceeded to assemble. Subtracting the time it took to take the pictures, I think it maybe took me an hour to get it fully assembled. Weight of the airframe as you see it in the last pic is exactly 1oz.
Last edited by zbrubaker; Jun 16, 2017 at 07:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2017, 03:33 PM
confused poet
Looks neat. I like the look of the Delta.

Hank
Jun 14, 2017, 04:11 PM
Looks good. How about some spec's ....

Thanks.
Jun 14, 2017, 04:43 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Nice!
Jun 14, 2017, 10:27 PM
ParkScaleModels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004
Looks good. How about some spec's ....

Thanks.
Falcon
Span: 12"
length: 17"
Wing Area: 50 sq.in
Wing Loading: 10.3 to 11.5 oz/sq.ft.
Est. AUW: 3.5oz - 4oz depending on battery

Bandit
Span: 15"
length: 17"
Wing Area: 38 sq.in
Wing Loading: 13.5 to 15 oz/sq.ft.
Est. AUW: 3.5oz - 4oz depending on battery
Jun 15, 2017, 01:34 PM
Looks like a fun build !

Any idea on cost and availability ?
Jun 15, 2017, 02:48 PM
ParkScaleModels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004
Looks like a fun build !

Any idea on cost and availability ?
I have calculated the kit cost and it's only going to be $29.99.

I'm hoping I can get one of them covered and ready to maiden by next weekend (need to order some electronics). Once I know there are no flight issues I will make kits available.
Jun 17, 2017, 10:06 PM
ParkScaleModels
I just finished getting the Micro Bandit covered. I didn't have any SoLite in a color I liked, so I ended up using the heavier cousin SolarFilm. The covering ended up adding 0.4oz, so right now my empty airframe weight is 1.45oz. With SoLite it would have probably been about 1.25oz. With the Blue SolarFilm that I had, a Blue Angels scheme just seemed like the right thing to do. I also used a little of my Hobby King 'Bright Silver' covering for the exhaust nozzle.

So now I get to play the waiting game for the electronics I ordered.
Last edited by zbrubaker; Jun 18, 2017 at 06:11 AM.
Jun 18, 2017, 12:33 AM
Pro Hoarder
Nice work! that is going to be fun!
Jun 18, 2017, 10:28 AM
Very cool !

That Falcon has caught my eye ....
Jun 23, 2017, 11:34 PM
ParkScaleModels
My HobbyKing order arrived today so I spent the evening installing the servos, hooking up the control surfaces and soldering the connectors to the ESC. The Tx is all programmed, so she's all ready for a maiden! Final weight with a 2S 360mAh is 3.8oz and 4.2oz with a 3S 360mAh. I'll post some pics tomorrow. The weather isn't looking too good this weekend, so the maiden will have to wait for a bit unfortunately.
Jun 24, 2017, 07:15 PM
ParkScaleModels
As promised, here's a few pics of the finished product. I've ordered a couple of 30mm EDF units, so when the arrive I will be making the necessary modifications to add in the EDF unit.
Jul 29, 2017, 06:43 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
Any updates?

Joe
Jul 31, 2017, 06:29 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
I am so down for a few . Love the look of the Falcon, a mini Phazer