Aug 17, 2017, 06:28 AM
Thank you.. Anne!!! will keep a look out..
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2017, 12:36 PM
Anyone had problems with camera?
Like grainy picture?
Aug 24, 2017, 04:46 PM
I'd say grainy pictures are normal for H501A camera.
That is, if the camera decides to use higher sensitivity ( higher ISO).
What it often does - and since the camera is running on "full auto" there is little we can do about it.

That little would be to remove the ND filter for all still shots and for all video except on bright sunny days.

The "full auto" means automatic ISO, exposure, white balance.

Looking at the videos, the ISO and exposure seem to be both changed dynamically as the amount of light camera gets changes - grainyness raises as the amount of light falls (and exposure stays good) what indicates raised ISO, while with more light the picture stays (almost) properly exposed what indicates higher shutter speed (shorter exposure). Likely the ISO gets raised only after shutter speed gets longer than a video frame (1/30s), although I've seen grainy sky on a bright day too ... (indicating the ISO was not lowered right away).

It would be nice if we could get some control over it, say setting the ISO at a fixed value.

The ND filter reduces amount of light, forcing the camera to use longer exposure - or higher ISO - and we get grainy pictures even at enough light.

The ND filter on H501A/SS is used exactly for that effect to reduce jello-effect which gets more prominent on a bright day (with shorter exposure).
While that works well for video on a bright day, it ruins both video and photos as soon as the day is not so bright (mornings, late afternoons, evenings, even cloudy days).

The bottom line - the H501A/SS camera will produce grainy pictures as soon as the light it picks up makes it think it needs higher ISO. While this is fairly predictable, sometimes it will show up unexpected.
Not using the ND filter will produce less grainy pictures in the same lighting conditions.

Now, if only the camera would have a proper filter mount instead of the sticker-type.
Aug 27, 2017, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrBr
I'd say grainy pictures are normal for H501A camera.
That is, if the camera decides to use higher sensitivity ( higher ISO).
What it often does - and since the camera is running on "full auto" there is little we can do about it.

That little would be to remove the ND filter for all still shots and for all video except on bright sunny days.

The "full auto" means automatic ISO, exposure, white balance.

Looking at the videos, the ISO and exposure seem to be both changed dynamically as the amount of light camera gets changes - grainyness raises as the amount of light falls (and exposure stays good) what indicates raised ISO, while with more light the picture stays (almost) properly exposed what indicates higher shutter speed (shorter exposure). Likely the ISO gets raised only after shutter speed gets longer than a video frame (1/30s), although I've seen grainy sky on a bright day too ... (indicating the ISO was not lowered right away).

It would be nice if we could get some control over it, say setting the ISO at a fixed value.

The ND filter reduces amount of light, forcing the camera to use longer exposure - or higher ISO - and we get grainy pictures even at enough light.

The ND filter on H501A/SS is used exactly for that effect to reduce jello-effect which gets more prominent on a bright day (with shorter exposure).
While that works well for video on a bright day, it ruins both video and photos as soon as the day is not so bright (mornings, late afternoons, evenings, even cloudy days).

The bottom line - the H501A/SS camera will produce grainy pictures as soon as the light it picks up makes it think it needs higher ISO. While this is fairly predictable, sometimes it will show up unexpected.
Not using the ND filter will produce less grainy pictures in the same lighting conditions.

Now, if only the camera would have a proper filter mount instead of the sticker-type.
@BrBr Thanks you for your help. On first look through the problem is oversharpening.

Here is new video from yesterday and its visible grainy. Its recorded in ideal conditions with ND filter on Kingston sd class 10

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5d...w?usp=drivesdk

Well it's official that I got worst camera ever built in any H501A or SS :-)
Every video I have seen was far better than this. Tried even with three different sdcards to eliminate possibility that SD is cousing problems. So far this really seems worst camera on any H501.

I'm really disappointed :-(
Sep 06, 2017, 02:55 AM
Hi ,Anne
Is it possible that in the next firmware h501a can be enabled to turn the transmission on or off at 5.8Ghz, regardless to link it with the transmitter? It would be very useful to be able to make fpv in some glasses while you handle the h501a with the telephone
Sep 06, 2017, 06:51 AM
@marabotto
+1
That would be excellent
Sep 06, 2017, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marabotto
Hi ,Anne
Is it possible that in the next firmware h501a can be enabled to turn the transmission on or off at 5.8Ghz, regardless to link it with the transmitter? It would be very useful to be able to make fpv in some glasses while you handle the h501a with the telephone
I'll put this on my suggestions sheet.
Sep 06, 2017, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by annegottagun
I'll put this on my suggestions sheet.
The VTX on/off is the no. 1 missing feature for H501A + relay set.
I really do hope it gets through soon.
Just as I wrote in the very first suggestion on this thread.
Sep 18, 2017, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
The VTX on/off is the no. 1 missing feature for H501A + relay set.
I really do hope it gets through soon.
Just as I wrote in the very first suggestion on this thread.
I'd already submitted it then (mid June). I haven't seen the latest firmware upgrade, but if it's showing up, then it will show up there. If not, there must be a reason- and they don't always tell me why unfortunately.
Sep 18, 2017, 05:46 PM
Quote:
I'd already submitted it then (mid June). I haven't seen the latest firmware upgrade, but if it's showing up, then it will show up there. If not, there must be a reason- and they don't always tell me why unfortunately.
Thank you, Anne!

I suppose this could be done on either side, quad firmware or the app.
Since transmitter can do it I assume it is just a matter of sending a set of commands and it might be easiest to add an option to the app.
However, if there is some negotiation regarding the VTX channel going on between TX and quad on startup, then it may not be so simple after all and may require changes on both sides.
Anyway, it is the app that certainly needs an option to turn VTX on or off (and set the channel).

Nevertheless, I don't find it likely that engineers at Hubsan simply missed this very obvious feature when designing H501A. It is more likely a management decision for some reason (like making people buy transmitters too). If that is really so, we'll not see it any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.
Sep 18, 2017, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thank you, Anne!

I suppose this could be done on either side, quad firmware or the app.
Since transmitter can do it I assume it is just a matter of sending a set of commands and it might be easiest to add an option to the app.
However, if there is some negotiation regarding the VTX channel going on between TX and quad on startup, then it may not be so simple after all and may require changes on both sides.
Anyway, it is the app that certainly needs an option to turn VTX on or off (and set the channel).

Nevertheless, I don't find it likely that engineers at Hubsan simply missed this very obvious feature when designing H501A. It is more likely a management decision for some reason (like making people buy transmitters too). If that is really so, we'll not see it any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.
Perhaps. It might have something to do with the potential interference between the WIFI signal and the 5.8 signal, but I could be wrong. In any case, we shall see.
Sep 20, 2017, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Perhaps. It might have something to do with the potential interference between the WIFI signal and the 5.8 signal, but I could be wrong. In any case, we shall see.
Hi, Anne. I think that potential interface is not the problem. When the drone is bind with the transmitter, it send both signals. So,It would be the same.
Thanks for your attention
Sep 30, 2017, 08:58 AM
I bought a 64GB class 10 memory card and it does not save photos and videos.
Oct 10, 2017, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LysyZdw
Have you format it in fat32 format?
Oct 10, 2017, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LysyZdw
Sorry for the late response; I'm not sure why I didn't get to this message as I check all threads every time I log in, but here we are.

You need to format the card to FAT32- making sure to set the Allocation unit size to 32KB and that the Volume label area is blank. Also, we recommend downsizing the SD card to 32GB or 16GB.

Quick Reply