How To: Scale FPV Tips and Tricks Mega Thread - RC Groups

How To: Scale FPV Tips and Tricks Mega Thread

FPV flying with planes is amazing. You get to experience flying in a new way and live out your dreams of soaring through the air. Scale FPV turns the realism up to 11 by putting the camera inside the cockpit where it feels like you are flying inside a real airplane.

Splash

Keep up with the latest Scale FPV Tips and Tricks

FPV flying with planes is amazing. You get to experience flying in a new way and live out your dreams of soaring through the air. Scale FPV turns the realism up to 11 by putting the camera inside the cockpit where it feels like you are flying inside a real airplane. You get to see the instrument panel, seats and with a pan/tilt system, you can even look down the wings just like you would if you were actually sitting in the plane.

Jim T and I recently tried this out with a couple of Cubs from HobbyKing and it was truly an awe-inspiring experience. You can read the article Jim wrote about it here and you can see the video from our adventure below.

So after reading about it and seeing what scale FPV flying is like in the video, you are probably thinking to yourself "I'd like to do that too." You might not know where to start, what to get, or how to make it work. That's where RCGroups being the world's largest and most active RC site comes in handy. There are many members here who have been there and love to share to their experience and solutions with others. The FPV community on RCG is a huge resource for newcomers and experienced pilots alike and that holds true with scale FPV. There was a thread started back in 2013 titled "Scale FPV flight share your passion, medias, setup & tips" and it remains active today with more than 2600 posts of users sharing tips and tricks and videos of their scale FPV set ups. We wanted to highlight this thread for you as the place to get all the info you need so you can get your own scale FPV plane going. We would also encourage you to share your experiences there for the community. The feeling of flying a scale plane in the goggles is hard to describe, but once you try it, you'll too get the bug. Enjoy!

Check out the Scale FPV flight share your passion, medias, setup & tips thread here

Jun 13, 2017, 10:02 AM
RCGroups Editor
Great article. Just reading this is making me want to put a scale rig together...
Jun 13, 2017, 05:32 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
I mounted Connex ProSightHD on my RMRC StratoSurfer with dynamic cockpit!
Most fun and relaxing semi-LOS FPV aircraft I've flown....

Most people don't like the in-cockpit view bc "it's like driving a bus from the back".......
I never saw it that way.
Last edited by rclab1; Jun 13, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Jun 13, 2017, 06:21 PM
Don't forget to trim rudder!
If only DJI sells their goggles and occusync pan & tilt control/ camera system separately for RC. That would be awesome.
Jun 14, 2017, 12:16 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Great article. Just reading this is making me want to put a scale rig together...
Do it, Matt! I dare ya!
For a lot of us, it's an entirely new addiction for our wonderful hobby
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 14, 2017 at 12:26 AM.
Jun 14, 2017, 12:26 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Another thread worth considering cover pretty much everything other than aircraft, from the Tonka Summit (Tonka bodies on the Traxxas Summit 4x4, has quite a following) to fpv cars, boats, even snow ploughs

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rojects-Thread
Jun 14, 2017, 06:42 AM
RCG Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
I mounted Connex ProSightHD on my RMRC StratoSurfer with dynamic cockpit!
Most fun and relaxing semi-LOS FPV aircraft I've flown....

Most people don't like the in-cockpit view bc "it's like driving a bus from the back".......
I never saw it that way.
That's awesome!
Jun 14, 2017, 06:53 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
This is cool.

I've been wanting to do this for a while and actually picked up the 11 hobby T-28 just for that. Just need to figure out which Pan n' tilt to use. Reliable, compact. Though I may look to print one later this week.
Jun 14, 2017, 07:52 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
This is cool.

I've been wanting to do this for a while and actually picked up the 11 hobby T-28 just for that. Just need to figure out which Pan n' tilt to use. Reliable, compact. Though I may look to print one later this week.

Got a lot of ideas from these videos (my favs' from all over)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s-%21%21%21%21

ie....

Voo de FPV Pratápolis (7 min 18 sec)
Jun 14, 2017, 11:20 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
some of those videos I've seen and are awesome. I'm more concerned about the limited space inside of the canopy.

Thank you for the link, I'll have to check the others.
Jun 15, 2017, 12:17 AM
fly by night
it's why I prefer the Hobbyking FG pan/tilt kit. It spins in a MUCH tighter space than the gangly Fatshark style ones which swing too far left/right. Also easy to stick on a CCD cam on the FG one.

ON my Katana, I used the Fatshark-style P&T, and it was too big for a 45" plane. Also because it was out in the wind, the camera movement created significant yaw side effects, and messed with the airflow to the rudder. I was able to mount a CCD camera to it, after putting up with the awful CMOS for a few flight.

Though I usually remove the canopy due to fit issues. Takes some ingenuity to make it work. IN really small planes, I just go with pan-only - if you tilt the servo backwards and mount the camera tilted down to the front ... you achieve a camera view which tilts+pans using one servo.
Jun 15, 2017, 06:12 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy
If only DJI sells their goggles and occusync pan & tilt control/ camera system separately for RC. That would be awesome.
I agree. That would be great!

Dave
Jun 15, 2017, 06:14 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
I was looking at this one yesterday, it's as close to what I want I've found without designing my own and 3D printing it. Which I'm too lazy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
it's why I prefer the Hobbyking FG pan/tilt kit. It spins in a MUCH tighter space than the gangly Fatshark style ones which swing too far left/right. Also easy to stick on a CCD cam on the FG one.

ON my Katana, I used the Fatshark-style P&T, and it was too big for a 45" plane. Also because it was out in the wind, the camera movement created significant yaw side effects, and messed with the airflow to the rudder. I was able to mount a CCD camera to it, after putting up with the awful CMOS for a few flight.

Though I usually remove the canopy due to fit issues. Takes some ingenuity to make it work. IN really small planes, I just go with pan-only - if you tilt the servo backwards and mount the camera tilted down to the front ... you achieve a camera view which tilts+pans using one servo.
Jun 16, 2017, 02:38 PM
https://youtu.be/MBp-p0_8i4k?list=PL...NcYJ0Qz_xTGvHk
https://youtu.be/SdjKos3DIJ0?list=PL...zyyobMLo2n8p6J
https://youtu.be/EXLvJbKu1ZI?list=PL...zyyobMLo2n8p6J

might not be scale, bit it is more addictive than a lot of stuff I've done...gotta love that FPV!