Thread OP

Second bird

Ripstop fabric on wings
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2020, 08:53 PM
Wow , very Nice!
Jan 08, 2020, 09:22 PM
Wildlife Artist / RC Designer
Looks like maybe the wings of an owl. Good work.
Jan 25, 2020, 11:52 PM
Thread OP
1.4 meter bird double gear system ornithopter (7 min 18 sec)

thanks to sonny D who gifted me action cam gear which made possible this video my first self made video while flying ..made normal wing for this bird with 360mah 3s and it was 80% charged not fully charged while that flight .tried making foam wing with depron which i don't feel ok for wings after some time its de foaming or changing angle and breaks ... sorry i cant explain it in theoretical terms .. sam suggested me to use Epp which wont break getting epp foam fro usa sonny is helping in that too ...
Last edited by vijaykumar; Jan 26, 2020 at 12:31 AM.
Jan 26, 2020, 01:09 AM
that was a great flight, the model is robust and having perfect simple wings . samwei uses also a combination of depron with balsa, which is very clever, because balsa is more stronger to the extent where the fibres get loose, but until then it wears out slower than depron, which may become sloppy when crushed by bending too much. also i heard the combination of balsa and carbon is very strong. for purely depron flapping wings they should either be easily replaceable or the material employed by a means that it doesnt wear out easily
Jan 26, 2020, 01:46 AM
Wildlife Artist / RC Designer
Yep - what he said. Lol. Echoing what I've posted before. Also, the lighter the ornithopter, and the slower the flap rate, the longer the Depron will hold its integrity.
Jan 26, 2020, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Just did 2nd flight with 850mah 3s battery flite was the longest , I ever did on bird 15min .I recorded video of it ,but with a small mistake! no big mistake..... lol zoomed it a bit because yesterday bird looked small while its far thought of zooming it a bit ,but completely out of frame. Whole video was bule skies... cant upload it will try to make new video tomorrow.. I dont know how people are flying it for a longer time cause i got pain in my neck with 15mins of flying .. it went numb .
Last edited by vijaykumar; Jan 27, 2020 at 12:13 AM.
Jan 27, 2020, 07:27 AM
@Brainchld, your wing is pure deppron which is very clever because the whole wing can easily be replaced and reproduced by laser cutter, however for flapping its difficult to rely on it, but i am curious what else is going to emerge from there. also i think the problem in flapping is that force is applied in both directions, hence the depron wears out even more quickly, if the more force was applied only in one direction (only compressing than ripping, the material will live longer, e.g. membrane on both sides of depron)

@vijay 15 mins is really good, maybe don't fly too high then you can fly even longer and your neck will get some release, also what about using camera with rotating display?
Jan 27, 2020, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
2nd flite of 1.4m bird ornithopter robird .. (16 min 10 sec)

Agian on 850mah 3s got 16mins flite
Jan 28, 2020, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
2nd bird with 1.45 m did some low flying in the end i guess it giving more then 20min flite time started recording after 15mins on second flite
2nd bird 1.45m robird ornithopter (4 min 53 sec)
Jan 29, 2020, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykumar
Ripstop fabric on wings
When will you test fly the bird with the swept back wings and ripstop fabric bird?
Jan 29, 2020, 06:14 AM
Thread OP
Soon G-Lo the depron wing which i made is 6mm getting 3mm Epp from USA on the way
Jan 29, 2020, 08:08 AM
the (s)low flying is supercool, the guys on the place trust you on being a safer pilot heh
what are you gonna do with 3mm that won't help on bigger wing, or are you going to layer them?
best wishes
Jan 30, 2020, 11:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantiel
the (s)low flying is supercool, the guys on the place trust you on being a safer pilot heh
what are you gonna do with 3mm that won't help on bigger wing, or are you going to layer them?
best wishes
hi Dantiel no i am gone use only 3mm epp ... and ripstop
Jan 30, 2020, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
fpv video of ornithopter (1 min 46 sec)

video was choppy just for testing fpv setup

Quick Reply