Jun 13, 2017, 07:28 AM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP

Product Spotlight - RMRC In-Line Battery Voltage Alarm with LED - XT60

!A Lightweight In-Line LiPo Alarm
Looking for more options in the LiPo voltage-alarm category? The good folks at ReadyMadeRC have a new in-line version for you! The RMRC In-Line Battery Voltage Alarm with LED is a simple and lightweight alternative to the alarm that plugs into a balance tap. By utilizing an in-line connection, you can eliminate a loose alarm that can get into spinning propellers or come undone. This little gem is perfect for drone racing and freestyle pilots that know there's a fine line between landing safely when the voltage gets low, and a puffed 4s 1300mAh LiPo that was flown just a minute too long.

The RMRC in-line alarm has four voltage settings: 3.7, 3.6, 3.5, and 3.4v. A quick press of the button allows you to cycle through the different voltages. When the LiPo pack voltage falls below the preset voltage, the unit beeps continuously and flashes the bright red LED until it's unplugged or you press and hold the button. The RMRC In-Line Battery Voltage Alarm sells for $8.99 and is currently available in the RMRC store.

CLICK HERE to order the RMRC In-Line Battery Voltage Alarm

!Video Spotlight
RMRC In-Line Battery Voltage Alarm with LED - RCGroups Spotlight (2 min 37 sec)
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jun 13, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2017, 08:00 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
I've got a few of these that i have brought over the years but this is the first time i have seen one that is inline with the battery like that,the simple ideas are often the best ones and i love this little one.
Jun 13, 2017, 08:26 AM
I plug my battery voltage alarms into the battery Balance connector.

Jerry
Jun 13, 2017, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz
I've got a few of these that i have brought over the years but this is the first time i have seen one that is inline with the battery like that,the simple ideas are often the best ones and i love this little one.
Be aware that this one only sees the total pack voltage though so can't warn of an individual cell crashing, unlike ones that go into the balance plug.

Quote:
This little gem is perfect for drone racing and freestyle pilots
But virtually all race/freestyle quads will already have pack voltage available (from the FC) on the OSD, and/or in the telemetry?
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jun 13, 2017, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover

But virtually all race/freestyle quads will already have pack voltage available (from the FC) on the OSD, and/or in the telemetry?
I have a ZMR 250 and a QAV R that doesn't have anything running except this voltage alarm. No OSD or telemetry.
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Jun 13, 2017, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
I have a ZMR 250 and a QAV R that doesn't have anything running except this voltage alarm. No OSD or telemetry.
You are possibly the target market then! Majority of people these days seem to have voltage in the OSD or FrSky telemetry (or both).

I would still personally tape a balance plug type checker near the flylead though, to have the individual cells monitored.
Jun 13, 2017, 06:55 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
Why use this over a individual cell checker?
Jun 13, 2017, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
Why use this over a individual cell checker?
Did you read the article?
Jun 13, 2017, 09:03 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
DID YOU? lol.

Quote:
By utilizing an in-line connection, you can eliminate a loose alarm that can get into spinning propellers or come undone
This point, and the only reason mentioned is utterly moot. There are any number of items that come loose while you are flying and there is no exception to a voltage checker, if you aren't securing that's their own fault.

IF your wires are long enough to get this thing inline you are making the length longer which could, you know, hit your props!

Why use this:
- Because you have a basic quad, wires are long enough and you don't care about your individual cells.

Why use a cell checker:
- Because ensuring each cell is not dropping too low under voltage is as important if not MORE than knowing your overall voltage. Why? Because you can gauge your flight time, yes I realize it's easy to go over when you're having fun which is why we need, but if you drop a cell this could *potentially* be much worse. You keep pushing a low cell you would end up destroying the cell anyway which could result in falling out of the sky anyway.

The one in this article only does part of the job is really what I'm saying, and the excuse for using it doesn't resolve any REAL issue that you will not be struggling with otherwise. Cell checker alarms are ~$2-4, this thing is $8.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Did you read the article?
Jun 13, 2017, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
I disagree. The sole convenience of not worrying about fastening a cell checker down on a quad trumps the ability to monitor individual cells, IMO. I have never dropped a single cell in flight to warrant using a cell monitoring alarm versus a total pack monitoring alarm such as this.

To each his own, we have differing opinions; good stuff.
Jun 14, 2017, 06:16 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
The thing I dont like about the $2.99 cell voltage buzzers, they go to a ridiculous 2.70V default every time you unplug them, then you have to reset them every time. Hard to see in the field here with our too-bright Arizona sun.
Does this remember the value you set it to?
What I dont like is having 2 connectors inline battery to ESC instead of one, and I use 4 different types of connectors depending on the plane. Not a problem with the $2.99 cell buzzers.
Last edited by Zerts; Jun 14, 2017 at 06:26 PM.
Jun 14, 2017, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
The thing I dont like about the $2.99 cell voltage buzzers, they go to a ridiculous 2.70V default every time you unplug them, then you have to reset them every time. Hard to see in the field here with our too-bright Arizona sun.
Does this remember the value you set it to?
What I dont like is having 2 connectors inline battery to ESC instead of one, and I use 4 different types of connectors depending on the plane. Not a problem with the $2.99 cell buzzers.
Every balance tap voltage alarm I've ever got from Hobbyking (many of them, a few different models) all remembered what you set cell cut off voltage at. I've never actually seen or used one that didn't.
Jun 14, 2017, 06:33 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
For some reason, these I got from Amazon, were shipped directly from China, they both keep going back to 2.70V, like someone wants me to crash and buy more airplanes.
Last edited by Zerts; Jun 14, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Jun 15, 2017, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJustin
Every balance tap voltage alarm I've ever got from Hobbyking (many of them, a few different models) all remembered what you set cell cut off voltage at. I've never actually seen or used one that didn't.
Same here.
Jun 16, 2017, 03:24 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Why? All the flight controllers I've had my paws on had low voltage alarms you setup in the FC's GUI. Doing so allows one to hear an audible tone through the goggles and an added FC beeper when the power gets low. More weight, more power used, whats the point?

Quick Reply