Nov 13, 2018, 03:43 PM
DavidsPlanes
Giovanni,

Ho visto che hai cercato di mandarmi un messaggio. Purtroppo devo fare un po’ di manutenzione nel mio inbox visto che pieno di nuovo.

Comunque sembra que Hansen ti ha mandato la piantina che misi assieme. Se necessario, mi puoi sempre mandare email, invece di un messaggio, via il sistema qui di RCG.

Saluti, Davide.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2019, 11:33 PM
AMA 46133

Triton kit

Is anyone watching this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUMAS-MODEL...197a%7Ciid%3A1

I am so tempted to collect another one.
Sep 01, 2019, 12:36 AM
Tempting, but I'm very low on funds right now and holding out for the pattern book and possibly the Striker short kit thats in the works. So I wont be getting in your way.
Sep 01, 2019, 01:47 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
Tempting, but I'm very low on funds right now and holding out for the pattern book and possibly the Striker short kit thats in the works. So I wont be getting in your way.
I am not sure I will bid on it either. I just took my electric Triton out. Took out the electric motor and trying to convert it back to glow power. Then it suffered some hangar rash. I rammed the damn vertical fin into a door jamb. Just got it repaired but have two more planes on the work bench taking up space. I need an open work bench to do some major surgery on it to convert it back to glow.

Then I saw the one on eBay and is sort of tempted to get it just to build it as glow power. Decisions, decisions.......

I wound up buying this instead.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PILOT-Crown...rdt=true&rt=nc
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Sep 01, 2019 at 02:07 AM.
Sep 01, 2019, 06:30 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Nice find!
I know I have seen this model in a catalog from back in the classic pattern hey days.
But never seen it assemebeled or flown.
That kit (ARF), Pilot "Crown-404" has some traces of a Simla plane (by Ed Kazmirski) I think.
Maybe the designer at Pilot factory got some inspiration from such source - who knows.

We had a major Pilot models importer in our country in 1970th and sure enough in his 1975 cataloge he
had the pilot Crown-404 listed, it was also a smaller Crown-202.
http://www.tmfk.org/antikrundan/Valt...ansson1975.pdf
(page 7 in this Swedish PDF cataloge , I Think I scanned it myself for that website webmaster).
The Crown 404 has a wingspan of 135 cm (53 inch) and was for 5-6.5 cc 2-stroke.
The little sister plane had a wingspan of 118 cm (46.5 inch) and was for 2.5-4 cc engine).

/Bo
Sep 01, 2019, 12:20 PM
AMA 46133
>>That kit (ARF), Pilot "Crown-404" has some traces of a Simla plane (by Ed Kazmirski) I think.
Maybe the designer at Pilot factory got some inspiration from such source - who knows.<<

A lot of the Japanese designs supposedly took inspiration from the Taurus and Simla. I had another pattern plane back in the days that was called a "Taurus". It came in a plain card box box and looked nothing liked a Taurus. It had a fiberglass fuselage that is pretty generic. The nose tapered into the spinner. The Taurus nose never tapered to match the spinner. The vertical tail fin was more upright like the Kwik Fli. The wing span was similar as it had a 70" wing span. Regardless it was one of the better flying pattern plane I had.

>>We had a major Pilot models importer in our country in 1970th and sure enough in his 1975 cataloge he
had the pilot Crown-404 listed, it was also a smaller Crown-202.
http://www.tmfk.org/antikrundan/Valt...ansson1975.pdf
(page 7 in this Swedish PDF cataloge , I Think I scanned it myself for that website webmaster).<<

Man that sure brought back memories. The MK Tiger was one of my very first successful RC airplane. I had a Graupner Topsy before that but it did not fly because of the Galloping Ghost radio that I bought used and not working well.

The Futaba radio in the scan was one that we made fun of all the time at the flying field. Anyone showing up with one of those radio will crash within 3 flights. Sure enough and that's why we all stayed away from Futaba. I still have a bad memory of the Futaba brand.

I still have parts from a Kyosho RC dune buggy that was at the bottom of the catalog. Not enough to make a complete buggy unless I manufacture the parts myself.

Oh and those IM hardware. Especially nose gear with the double struts.

>>The Crown 404 has a wingspan of 135 cm (53 inch) and was for 5-6.5 cc 2-stroke.
The little sister plane had a wingspan of 118 cm (46.5 inch) and was for 2.5-4 cc engine).<<

I hope it is a fun built. It is suppose to be missing some parts like the canopy and some plywood pieces. I will have to find some replacements.

I am always on the look out for old obscure Japanese kits. I missed out one a Debonair Panther before.
Sep 09, 2019, 04:25 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
I hope it is a fun built. It is suppose to be missing some parts like the canopy and some plywood pieces. I will have to find some replacements.
For a similar canopy that may fit the Crown-404 check if Park Flyer Plastics has some sutable canopy:
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...index&cPath=46

Maybe a Goldberg Skylark 56 canopy they have could fit? It looks rather similar in shape.

/Bo
Sep 09, 2019, 11:37 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
For a similar canopy that may fit the Crown-404 check if Park Flyer Plastics has some sutable canopy:
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...index&cPath=46

Maybe a Goldberg Skylark 56 canopy they have could fit? It looks rather similar in shape.

/Bo
Yes I have a collection of canopies from Sig and Parkflyer plastics. I am hoping one of them will fit. I do have a Skylark 56 canopy I bought to see if it will fit my Carl Goldberg Shoesstring kit. It needs a little trimming because it seems like it is a canopy for the Falcon 56 since the bottom is curved.
Sep 29, 2019, 09:56 PM
AMA 46133

Finally, period correct......

.....my Triton was built back in 2016 as an electric. Then I found a source for methanol fuel and has been flying glow. I have been itching to convert the Triton back to wet fuel power. I started the process recently. Then I found out all my engines are too long for the nose. I finally pulled out an OS gold head FGP. I bought it used on eBay. Then I slowly collected brand new parts to rebuild the engine. It is now basically a brand new engine. It has brand new cylinder sleeve, piston, piston ring, crank shaft and bearings. Broke it in for 1/2 a tank on the bench and put it in the plane.

Flew it today and it sure brought back some memories. The engine is the star of the day. Very smooth running and very friendly. The plane came in at 6 pound 7 ounces and the engine hauled it around very nicely. The engine is still breaking in. By the fourth flight I was doing some very large loops. One of the minor issue that is noticeable is that when the power goes up the tail starts to wag. It could be the turbulence but I believe it has to do with the speed of these old classics. They are not meant to fly fast. I am going to try a 12 X 6 next time I take it out. Right now I am using an 11 X 8. Need to get a spinner first. I don't have a 2" Tru Turn that will fit an APC 12 X 6.
Sep 30, 2019, 05:20 AM
Fantastic!

I have one of those engines NIB, need to build something for it one of these days
Sep 30, 2019, 12:03 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider1960
Fantastic!

I have one of those engines NIB, need to build something for it one of these days
It is amazing powerful for the design. Definitely very user friendly.
Sep 30, 2019, 12:44 PM
That plane looks wonderful with that glow engine. No teeth grinding here. And that Jettstream muffler in gold too... wow!
Sep 30, 2019, 12:53 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Hansen,

That is indeed period-perfect! My mentor had a Triton with a Goldhead (not the same color scheme, but still ... ) and of course I yearned for one of my own. That could still happen!

I agree, those old birds were meant for a lower speed range ... also, the large bubble canopy does funny stuff to the airflow, which is why a lot of them ended up with a dorsal ridge like on the Triton, whether they were designed with it or not. So the 12" x 6" prop is definitely a better choice if you have enough ground clearance, so you can put the extra power to work for static thrust and vertical climb performance rather than trying to push the airplane faster than it wants to go.

I recently acquired an old Super Kaos, which I've now flown and am fixing up bit by bit. I won't be adding a dorsal ridge but I do intend to increase the ground clearance for a 12" prop. Will post pictures when I have something worthwhile to report ... meanwhile, congratulations on a beautiful vintage project!

Cheers,
Duane
Sep 30, 2019, 01:39 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
That plane looks wonderful with that glow engine. No teeth grinding here. And that Jettstream muffler in gold too... wow!
I bought the muffler used. I think that's a SEMCO muffler but I am not sure.
Sep 30, 2019, 01:45 PM
AMA 46133
>>I agree, those old birds were meant for a lower speed range ... also, the large bubble canopy does funny stuff to the airflow, which is why a lot of them ended up with a dorsal ridge like on the Triton, whether they were designed with it or not.<<

I am not sure if the dorsal ridge does anything. Most other designs go with a ventral fin. Those seem to work better to stabilize the tail. I am itching to do an experiment to a Kwik fli. That is the tail wagging machine. If I can change the characteristic by a ventral fin that would shed some answers.

>>So the 12" x 6" prop is definitely a better choice if you have enough ground clearance, so you can put the extra power to work for static thrust and vertical climb performance rather than trying to push the airplane faster than it wants to go.<<

I have enough ground clearance to go another 1/2". I actually had to make a shorter landing gear strut set when I converted back from electric.

>>I recently acquired an old Super Kaos, which I've now flown and am fixing up bit by bit. I won't be adding a dorsal ridge but I do intend to increase the ground clearance for a 12" prop. Will post pictures when I have something worthwhile to report ... meanwhile, congratulations on a beautiful vintage project!<<

Thank you. Making different landing gear struts is pretty easy for me. I had these K & S wire bender and coil winder for over 30 years. Never liked them when they were new and I was inexperienced. However as time goes by and I get more experience using them they really do work well.

Quick Reply