Holybro Kakute F4 AIO Flight Controller

Holybro has a new all-in-one flight controller for your drone. The Kakute has an integrated F4 flight controller, power distribution and an OSD (on screen display) all on one easy simple to use board.

Splash

New F4 FC for Racing Drones

Holybro has a new all-in-one flight controller for your drone. The Kakute has an integrated F4 flight controller, power distribution and an OSD (on screen display) all on one easy simple to use board. Having all those components built in helps your build look cleaner and makes it easier to solder and get set up. The FC supports Betaflight and Cleanflight that allows you to change the PIDs, change configuration parameters, change video frequency and even adjust the vTX power level all using the built-in OSD and your radio.

The IMU chip is isolated from performance robbing vibrations so there is no need to soft-mount the board. The IMU is the ICM20689 with a 6-axis gyro and accelerometer and runs at up to 32kHz. The PDB is a 2oz copper plate that supports up to 120A max continuous current and accepts input voltage from 7V up to 42V although the BAT (battery) pad will only allow up to 6S (25.2V) voltage to power the FC. You'll get voltage monitoring and filtered outputs for your FPV gear and accessories. The board also has BLHeli pass-through. It's a solid new choice to consider for your next build.

Specifications:

• MCU: STM32F405RGT6 32-bit processor
  • IMU: ICM20689 (SPI)
  • USB VCP Driver (all UARTs usable simultaneously; USB does not take up a UART)
  • 3 hardware UARTS (UART1,3,6)
  • 128 Mbit Dataflash chip for Blackbox logging
  • Dimensions: 35x43x7mm (includes USB in height)
  • Mounting Holes: Standard 30.5mm square to center of holes
  • Weight: 7g

Check out the Holybro Kakute F4 AIO Flight Controller here

Jun 12, 2017, 04:10 PM
Shame it only has 16 Mb of flash memory for Black Box logging, rather than SD card.
Jun 12, 2017, 09:08 PM
Professional UAV Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Shame it only has 16 Mb of flash memory for Black Box logging, rather than SD card.
New version is 128mb.

Can't beat the amazing design of soft mounting the Gyro to the board, stella idea
Last edited by Redemptioner; Jun 12, 2017 at 11:27 PM.
Jun 12, 2017, 10:39 PM
youtube.com/adampotts
Gonna get one for my next build (chameleon), i'll be sure to post results.
Jun 13, 2017, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
New version is 128mb.
Quoted as Mbit (not byte)
Quote:
128 Mbit Dataflash chip for Blackbox logging
Or is that a mistake? 128 Mbit is 16 MB.

Apart from the limited capacity, last time I used dataflash (on an F1 board) it was REALLY slow to retrieve from and clear down. SD card for logging is a basic requirement for me now.
Jun 13, 2017, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Quoted as Mbit (not byte)

Or is that a mistake? 128 Mbit is 16 MB.

Apart from the limited capacity, last time I used dataflash (on an F1 board) it was REALLY slow to retrieve from and clear down. SD card for logging is a basic requirement for me now.
I stand corrected, they just changed the description from MB to Mbit, only 16MB on the new one.

Admittedly I don't see the need for more than that unless you have an issue you are struggling to find or you want to put a bunch of telemetry crap on your videos........ Generally you only need 15-60 secs of data max to work anything out, typically 20secs is more than enough if you are tuning and certainly you don't want to be stuffing around pulling SD cards while tuning or looking at a bunch of long files that you have to try and work out which part you need to look at.

clear log - fly 20secs to specifically create issue - look at log - clear log - tune - fly - repeat
Jun 14, 2017, 06:33 AM
For me the big benefit of Black Box is when something unexpected happens - you have the data then to figure out what went wrong. I log every flight now.

I don't take a laptop to the field so when I'm tuning I try different PID settings (set via the OSD) and look at the BB data alongside the HD video when I get home. 16MB would only cover a single 4-5 minute flight.
Jun 15, 2017, 03:01 AM
Quote:
For me the big benefit of Black Box is when something unexpected happens - you have the data then to figure out what went wrong. I log every flight now.

I don't take a laptop to the field so when I'm tuning I try different PID settings (set via the OSD) and look at the BB data alongside the HD video when I get home. 16MB would only cover a single 4-5 minute flight.
Fair enough, I don't tend to have any further problems after initial tunings so have never seen the point of running continuous logging. Admittedly, fully speed logging is hardly going to impact this CPU so running them the whole time isn't going to matter. I can't remember if it just overwrites the storage once it runs out, if it does the if you had an issue on a flight you can just whip your phone out and grab the log file off it as you would only ever really need the last flight.
Jun 15, 2017, 03:52 AM
Suspenders Account
I don't want a black box would rather a slimmer package, but you cannot please everyone.
Jun 15, 2017, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
I can't remember if it just overwrites the storage once it runs out
Unfortunately not, it disables logging so nothing gets recorded. Certainly for Betaflight/Cleanflight.
Jun 15, 2017, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflip
I don't want a black box would rather a slimmer package, but you cannot please everyone.
That's for sure But with the IMU on foam and the ribbon cable it's probably no slimmer than a board with an SD card. Of course it doesn't need soft mounting, but then you often need the FC on short standoffs anyway (e.g. to clear a battery strap) in which case they might as well be soft ones. It all depends on the frame.
Jun 15, 2017, 02:14 PM
What is the amperage of the 5v regulator? the F3 version is only 800mA and I don't think it would run a 5v vtx and a runcam split. I run the eachine VXT03 which at 200mW consumes 570mA(MAX) with 5v camera according to banggood's site
Jun 15, 2017, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprade65
What is the amperage of the 5v regulator? the F3 version is only 800mA and I don't think it would run a 5v vtx and a runcam split. I run the eachine VXT03 which at 200mW consumes 570mA(MAX) with 5v camera according to banggood's site
not to quote myself but I found the info on the gearbest site 1.5A. Should run the runcam split no problem on that
Jun 15, 2017, 03:04 PM
I did it...
I am really interested how the soft mount actually performs. I have never used a beta flight board yet and I'm thinking that this may just be the one that I start learning their GUI.
Jun 15, 2017, 04:30 PM
Unstoppable quaddiction
The separate gyro board mounted on foam with the ribbon cable is a great idea, hopefully it works well. Not having to soft mount everything will save 3-4 grams.