Jun 12, 2017, 07:07 AM
Old enough to know better.....
Thread OP
Build Log

Sky Mule conversion

After finally managing to get a hold of a Durafly Skymule last week, I wasted no time in getting it into the air and getting to grips with how it flew. As there are now at least 3 of them in our club, and they all look the same, I thought I would modify mine a little to make it stand out from the crowd.

One of the members of the club had previously converted his Skymule to look like a PBM Defender as used by the British Army and it looked really different. Unfortunately, it is no longer with us after a bit of a hard impact

Being ex Royal Air Force, I wanted do do something military so I drew my inspiration from the Shadow R.1, MC-12 Liberty and the E-9 Widget aircraft.

I've kept the Skymule completely "stock" in terms of electronics and motors and the detailing is from my imagination (and a good raid of the spares box!).

From start to where we are now took a few hours on a Saturday afternoon. It took about 2 hours (and a full roll of sellotape) to remove all the decals but it saves a lot of hassle when it comes to the repainting. Still a bit more work required to install the lighting before the first coat of paint.

I'll update as I go. Thanks for looking and I would welcome any comments you may have.
Last edited by Craig Kane; Jun 12, 2017 at 07:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2017, 01:46 PM
DFS#000178
I love seeing these kinds of things done to SkyMules. They really are fantastic airframes!

Can't wait to see what you get when it comes out of paint.
Jun 12, 2017, 01:50 PM
That would look good with a 105mm M102.
Jun 13, 2017, 12:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I love seeing these kinds of things done to SkyMules. They really are fantastic airframes!

Can't wait to see what you get when it comes out of paint.
Love that colour scheme. Really stands out
Jun 13, 2017, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Videos of the anti-collision beacons in operation:

Skymule modification: 1 (0 min 7 sec)

Skymule modification: 2 (0 min 4 sec)

Bought them from AliExpress.com
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Co...608.0.0.wgHvH1
Jun 13, 2017, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grup
That would look good with a 105mm M102.
I had thought about making a gunship version. Going to hold that idea for my C-130 project.
Jun 21, 2017, 01:43 AM
Thread OP
First full coat of colour complete. Looks completely different from a week ago!

Quick Reply