Jun 11, 2017, 07:09 PM
What package dear?
Thread OP
Discussion

What has been your experience?

Hey guys and gals, what is your experience with the ECX Torment, and the Traxxas Slash?
I had a Rustler and it was a great car but just wish it had more ground clearance. The Slash seems to be good for bashing and open to racing. I have been reading many good reviews on both the Slash and the Torment. I was thinking of going ECX until my local hobby shop recommended the Slash over the Torment because of durability and easy of repair. More you tube and reading reviews like this one that seems too conflicted some with what LHS said.
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/brushed-2w...ruck-shootout/
So why not ask on my favorite RC forum.
Honestly it seems that either truck is a good truck but what has been your experience?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2017, 08:20 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Hobby stores love to sell Slashes because they are less durable and they make more money off selling replacement parts/upgrades. Traxxas rarely makes changes to their designs and almost never runs into parts supply chain issues. They are typically "durable enough" for most and great for folks to make quick repairs, however I have been burned on occasion where my LHS ran out of the broken part I needed and it was faster for me to order from AMain than to get the part from my LHS.

ECX will be significantly more durable and offers more current geometry with slightly better performance.

More info here on my Spec Slash for tips if you decide to go that route:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=2311784
Jun 12, 2017, 12:17 PM
I was recently trying to research short course trucks myself and from reviews it seems that the ECX Torment is virtually indestructible in standard form but has a limited upgrade path and the Slash needs several upgrades to be as reliable but has more potential if you are willing to upgrade it , I settled on the DHK Hunter Brushless as it's cheaper and stronger than the Slash out of the box , I'm very happy with it so far .
Jun 12, 2017, 07:51 PM
i dont have a traxxas to compare too but my ecx is an absolute bruiser
Jun 12, 2017, 09:39 PM
Born again RC'er
I have a ECX Torment, about 2 years old, Brushless edition. I got it for my son, as his first hobby grade RC. I should have gotten him the brushed, as the brushless was too fast for several month, and a few months after that, he wanted a truggy... LOL

But for the Torment, it is a tank. He beat it like you would expect a teen to, and it has held up great. Over the two years, I have replaced or upgraded a few parts, but not much. It is getting very worn, but still runs great. Now I have downgraded it to brushed for my 8 year old to learn on.

While I am sure the Slash is good, I keep hearing the 2wd Traxxas trucks (all of them) need about $100 in upgrades to make them bomb-proof. The Traxxas 4wd are solid, though.
Jun 13, 2017, 12:44 AM
I have an arrma senton and it has hands down been the most durable truck ever. I had the slash, it was nice but it broke pretty often. That being said, there's no way I'd recommend the slash over the senton
Jun 13, 2017, 08:28 AM
Born again RC'er
Yeah, the Senton is in a very different class vs a 2wd slash or Torment. I have a Typhon and Kraton - both the same platform as the Senton. Full 1/8 scale performance and toughness - truly a "hole nuther level" over Traxxas and EXC. The 2wd Arrma Fury is more in line with the Slash and Torment. The Fury is a LCG chassis, though, and the OP wants a HCG setup for ground clearance.
Jun 13, 2017, 01:33 PM
A 4x4 slash is an awesome truck for sure, I have yet to break mine.

I can't say anything about the others (don't have them) but if people say they are more durable than the slash 4x4 it must be near indestructible
Jun 13, 2017, 01:47 PM
Did I make the A Main?
The 4WD Slash is a completely different design than the 2WD, far more expensive and relatively durable when compared to most entry level bashers as well, however it's limited to 1/10 quality plastic and lacks aluminum/carbon upgrades for such a high price point when compared to others in it's class. For something even more durable, I would select an SCT that is based on a 1/8 Buggy design which typically offers thicker plastic arms, aluminum pivot blocks, thicker shock shafts, pins, all 3 diffs are fluid filled. While I agree that the 4WD Slash is fairly durable, they just don't compare to a Tekno SCT410 or Losi TEN-SCTE.

Regardless, I think most of these options are too expensive for the OP's price point... if I was on a tight budget and had to go with a 4WD SCT, then I would take a closer look at the HobbyKing Trooper or DHK Hunter
Jun 13, 2017, 06:04 PM
The 2WD Slash looks like it has a really high CG. Weird design.
Jun 13, 2017, 06:43 PM
Did I make the A Main?
The 2WD Slash was the very first 1/10 SCT based on a 325mm wheelbase (roughly the same size as 1/8 Buggy) and many brands have improved upon the original design while Traxxas chooses to support their customers and hobby stores by not discontinuing the original design, only very minor improvements have been made with backwards compatibility.
Jun 30, 2017, 06:00 PM
What package dear?
Thread OP
Ok I went with the Slash for the reason most donít like Traxxas and that is two years from now I can still get parts.
#2 has one of the highest aftermarket parts support.
#3 locally supported by LHS. =I can now support a local small business
#4 has more options on what I MAY want to do I can go oval track, off road racer, or just bash monster truck back yard.

So next question what is your experience with the COOLRC tires?
Jun 30, 2017, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack
Ok I went with the Slash for the reason most donít like Traxxas and that is two years from now I can still get parts.
#2 has one of the highest aftermarket parts support.
#3 locally supported by LHS. =I can now support a local small business
#4 has more options on what I MAY want to do I can go oval track, off road racer, or just bash monster truck back yard.

So next question what is your experience with the COOLRC tires?
I ordered pro line badlands for my slash. I was in same situation as you are and I went for slash too because after some upgrading it will be if not better than at least competitive with the others and I don't have to worry about spare parts. Tons of parts

Quick Reply