Mar 30, 2018, 07:54 PM
Ha ha ha Tail High!...
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2018, 09:19 PM
Deckineer at large
I know they have the complete set of original drawings..
Mar 30, 2018, 09:22 PM
Deckineer at large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman
Thanks for posting Pat. I sent several messages to the FF site looking for information on the drive line and they kept telling me someone would get back to me shortly. Never happened. I have a FF hull from Kap. I think it might have been one of the last hulls he made.
What would you like to know? I spent some time out there when they first got it and am fairly familiar with it. And we have the same propulsion on the tug at work.

It is essentially a one man show taking care of her. FF is a great organization and they pulled off a small miracle getting her saved, let alone all the work that got done last year.
Mar 30, 2018, 09:27 PM
Well actually the photos Pat posted told me what I needed to know about the props and rudders. Thanks for your offer. I appreciate it.
Mar 30, 2018, 09:46 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
I want to go visit, help Charles find and sort out all the dwgs, and get them copied!
Mar 30, 2018, 10:19 PM
Deckineer at large
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
I want to go visit, help Charles find and sort out all the dwgs, and get them copied!
There all sorted out in a file cabinet. All on heavy blue velum.
Mar 31, 2018, 12:21 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Here's a collection of shots showing the three original hose reels on FF's deck.

They're designed to keep the hoses at ready, but shielded from sunlight and any falling embers. Construction is steel, but they're sheathed in brass, and probably the gear casings are bronze. They are on swivel trucks. The housing can be positioned with the opening down (normal position, allows drainage and vents are on top), or with opening sideways for hose access. Another shaft on the gear cases turns the reel.

These were originally left shiny, but at some point they gave up and painted the housings black.
Mar 31, 2018, 12:35 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
There are two hose bibb stations aft, set up in an odd round pattern... I wonder how useful that was? Each is centered on the stand pipe going up to the two monitors above.
Originally, they were also sheathed in shiny brass housings. Those got lost along the way, likely due to the hassle of maintenance access to all those valves.

Last edited by patmat2350; Mar 31, 2018 at 03:20 PM.
Mar 31, 2018, 01:48 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
The bling didn't stop at the wheel house... even the bollards are shiny brass!

Story is that Mayor LaGuardia wanted to name the boat after hisself... but when negative word got out about how expensive it was, he decided to name after the generic and heroic "Fire Fighter" (note- TWO words, not "Firefighter").

Last edited by patmat2350; Mar 31, 2018 at 04:58 PM.
Mar 31, 2018, 04:38 PM
Deckineer at large
Found a few more that I got over the years.

I may have to break out my Fire Fighter kit and build a static model. She has always been my favorite. Very happy that all of the large FDNY boats of recent past have found 2nd homes and not scrap.

REALLY happy that the opted to restore FF in the original Black. I think they looked so much sharper..
Mar 31, 2018, 05:11 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Old color slides, black hull days.

You can see the shiny bollards; monitor yokes are painted red while the nozzles are shiny brass; tower's stand pipe is red; and hose reels are already painted black

Note that no one works the monitor from atop the tower... controls are below.
Mar 31, 2018, 05:13 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Seen here is some original equipment at work, the gunwale mounted spray system... probably to keep from burning her paint off when working close to a low fire. The folks on FB say this was abandoned and removed before long- it clogged and corroded, and maybe there wasn't much call for it.
Mar 31, 2018, 07:00 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
When I built my 1938 version, I speculated that the hull bottom could be black, as with Great Lakes tugs of the era that I had researched.

Wrong. This launching picture proves that FF went in the first time with a red bottom (ok, assuming again that it's red...). But no white boot stripe!

Mar 31, 2018, 07:09 PM
Ok! We are rolling now!...More information each post.

Quick Reply