Jun 16, 2017, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge2489
Last two time when I sent in the drone for repairs when I got the evaluation email they had an idea what was wrong the next day...
Given how well those first two fixes worked out for you I'd take some comfort in the fact they were taking a little longer this time

Anyway, I'd say that even if it does take a little longer, it is worth waiting to let them give it their best shot this time around.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2017, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin
Given how well those first two fixes worked out for you I'd take some comfort in the fact they were taking a little longer this time

Anyway, I'd say that even if it does take a little longer, it is worth waiting to let them give it their best shot this time around.
My thoughts exactly I'm not calling them at all this time around I'm gonna let them hopefully fix it normally
Jun 16, 2017, 03:58 PM
Interesting thread Fudge. I assume the whole point of the thread is to let us know that DJI is a poor company to deal with. You had 17 posts before you created this. You are not what I would call a regular user.

I won't tell you about my experience with DJI as it has no relationship with your problem but with everything that you have done, that they have done and the Pay Pal refund I'm actually surprised they haven't flagged you in their system and stop dealing with you. What they should have done is had a rep go to your home and help you in person. We have a local rep here that can be contacted directly.
Jun 16, 2017, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Interesting thread Fudge. I assume the whole point of the thread is to let us know that DJI is a poor company to deal with. You had 17 posts before you created this. You are not what I would call a regular user.

I won't tell you about my experience with DJI as it has no relationship with your problem but with everything that you have done, that they have done and the Pay Pal refund I'm actually surprised they haven't flagged you in their system and stop dealing with you. What they should have done is had a rep go to your home and help you in person. We have a local rep here that can be contacted directly.
Man I would pay money to have them send someone to my house to fix the issue... that's all I wanted from the start was for the issue to get resolved.

And Yeah I check out the forums regularly, but just never posted... I like stalking in the background!!
Jun 16, 2017, 09:54 PM
WJH
WJH
I can see why US Robotics pulled out of Ardupilot, why ReadyToFlyQuads does not answer emails, and why everything is open source, open hardware. Too much liability, too many customers not electronics/computer savvy, etc. Making everything open, community supported, keeps the lawyers away, and the instant gratification types out of the picture.
Jun 17, 2017, 08:01 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
That is quickly becoming my opinion of them as well, and I was one of their fan boys as you put it, to me there was no better drone company... and maybe they got too big too fast that's why they are so cocky now and don't care. but at this rate they will lose the public support, and as they say the bigger they are the harder they fall, which will suck because they do employ a lot of people. but if they don't change their tactics they are going to lose the market quickly.
Man, this is like reading some time capsule from my experience with DJI back in 2012. I was a big DJI supported using their hobby range of products for fun with great success. But then for the serious side of things I tried to make the move from custom builds over to the DJI 'professional' range of products (S800+WKM+Zenmuse). Needless to say it was not a pretty story and I soon discovered what DJI considers to be 'professional' quality products and customer support. And my faith in DJI has never been restored since.
Jun 17, 2017, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
Man, this is like reading some time capsule from my experience with DJI back in 2012. I was a big DJI supported using their hobby range of products for fun with great success. But then for the serious side of things I tried to make the move from custom builds over to the DJI 'professional' range of products (S800+WKM+Zenmuse). Needless to say it was not a pretty story and I soon discovered what DJI considers to be 'professional' quality products and customer support. And my faith in DJI has never been restored since.
Kinda along those lines, but also open to anyone who's used DJI before, how are their flight controllers?
've been looking around and even for a custom build seems like the only flight controllers that will handle the bigger drones to haul a DSLT or similar you still have to use DJI products.
I have found a way around using the DJI light bridge, but haven't seemed to find something that is better or even close to the DJI A3.
Jun 17, 2017, 09:36 PM
You can use pixhawk
Jun 17, 2017, 10:18 PM

Screwed by DJI AGAIN!!

Or X2, or Pixhawk 2, or Pixhack. Pixhawk 2 with a SpectreWorks Pixhawk carrier board is pretty nifty.
Jun 18, 2017, 04:00 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
Kinda along those lines, but also open to anyone who's used DJI before, how are their flight controllers?
've been looking around and even for a custom build seems like the only flight controllers that will handle the bigger drones to haul a DSLT or similar you still have to use DJI products.
I have found a way around using the DJI light bridge, but haven't seemed to find something that is better or even close to the DJI A3.
The Zenmuse gimbal was excellent, but the S800 was a disaster. Like they where designed by two completely different companies.
The WKM autopilot also worked great on proper frames other than the S800. No experience with the A3 or A2 since I took a bow before that, but reading the A2 support thread it seem to be a mess to put it mildly.

But the main problem is how DJI operates and their mentality towards product design and costumers. The DJI mode of operation is to release early and often, and then make costumers deal with the problems. You then pray that the problems can be fixed in software, because any and all hardware problems will be sold as upgrades or a new 'V2' product at full price.

Take for example the GoPro Karma product recall. If this was a DJI product that recall would never have happened. Instead they would have put up the now famous DJI 'wall of silence' pretending nothing is wrong. Then silently start releasing new firmware's trying to fix the problem in software, but still never mentioning any of critical flaws or fixes in the release notes. And then suddenly you would have a Karma V2 out for sale with the actual hardware fixes needed. Still without ever denying or confirming any faults in the original product. You can't operate like that, not towards normal consumers and definitively not with professional users relying on the equipment to make a living.

Granted, they seem to be better today then what they used to be. But reading the threads you still see old DJI rear its ugly head now and then.
Jun 18, 2017, 08:54 AM
DJI was volkswagoning before it was cool.
Jun 18, 2017, 09:23 AM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
And then suddenly you would have a Karma V2 out for sale with the actual hardware fixes needed. Still without ever denying or confirming any faults in the original product. You can't operate like that, not towards normal consumers and definitively not with professional users relying on the equipment to make a living.

Granted, they seem to be better today then what they used to be. But reading the threads you still see old DJI rear its ugly head now and then.
Bad example as the instances of Karma V2 crashing and flying away (losing control, GPS, etc.) seem to be much higher than the "industry standard" for consumer drones.

There may be drone companies that release stuff in a perfect state, but GoPro is not that company. Either is Parrot or Yuneec. Autel did a 1/2 decent job after being a year+ late. But they have failed to update or fix known problems (according to some owners).

Saying "you can't operate like that" about a company probably worth 20 Billion plus is an interesting statement.

I would agree that product recalls are the only solution for a true hardware problem which affects a large percentage of units and creates an unsafe situation. But as even you noted, DJI usually gets the hardware (of consumer models) nailed these days.

You are also 100% correct that software and firmware is never finished. That's the case with just about every high tech product out there - the same reason all your apps update and the OS updates regularly on most computers and devices. When DJI updates software, it is quite typical of how other do it.
1. Some problems are fixed.
2. New features are added (this is the good part).
3. Some new problems are created (compatibility, mistakes, etc.).

I think we get back to the basic concept of culture. Speed is the Chinese Way.
On the other hand, I don't see any other (American or other) drone companies breaking that rule....they have (so far) given us lack of speed AND poor qualify hardware and software. The exception is probably Parrot, who was years ahead of its time (so they had SPEED), but failed to give the market something that actually worked (at all).
Jun 18, 2017, 11:21 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
It's not about making a flawless product, nobody does that. At least not at first.
Instead It's more about transparency (bug reports, support etc.) so that the common and professional user alike can make educated decisions whether to rely on the product or not.
Jun 18, 2017, 11:30 AM
Not going to walk that one off
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
It's not about making a flawless product, nobody does that. At least not at first.

Instead It's more about transparency (bug reports, support etc.) so that the common and professional user alike can make educated decisions whether to rely on the product or not.

No matter what they do you won't be happy.

They have support reps on multiple forums, service centres in multiple country's and generally provide excellent service with fast turn around times, Iv used the service centre 3 times and on every one it was quick, easy and painless.

Nothing is perfect but they do more than another company in this game, just due to the numbers involved there will always be cases where things have not gone to plan but look at the forums across the board, the odd post about poor service but compared to the sales it's minuscule, DJI have probably sold more Sparks in the fist week than all the rest have sold period.

But again you can't please all of the people all of the time and people only shout when they are unhappy in general.
Latest blog entry: DJI 5.5" Crystalsky Monitor...
Jun 19, 2017, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyStain
You can use pixhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
Or X2, or Pixhawk 2, or Pixhack. Pixhawk 2 with a SpectreWorks Pixhawk carrier board is pretty nifty.
I'll check it out when I get a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
The Zenmuse gimbal was excellent, but the S800 was a disaster. Like they where designed by two completely different companies.
The WKM autopilot also worked great on proper frames other than the S800. No experience with the A3 or A2 since I took a bow before that, but reading the A2 support thread it seem to be a mess to put it mildly.

But the main problem is how DJI operates and their mentality towards product design and costumers. The DJI mode of operation is to release early and often, and then make costumers deal with the problems. You then pray that the problems can be fixed in software, because any and all hardware problems will be sold as upgrades or a new 'V2' product at full price.

Take for example the GoPro Karma product recall. If this was a DJI product that recall would never have happened. Instead they would have put up the now famous DJI 'wall of silence' pretending nothing is wrong. Then silently start releasing new firmware's trying to fix the problem in software, but still never mentioning any of critical flaws or fixes in the release notes. And then suddenly you would have a Karma V2 out for sale with the actual hardware fixes needed. Still without ever denying or confirming any faults in the original product. You can't operate like that, not towards normal consumers and definitively not with professional users relying on the equipment to make a living.

I don't mind issues every company has them, I don't think a single company has ever made anything perfect, and I don't mind that it just pissed me off that after 2 trips that last 4 weeks each to DJI the issue still has not been fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
I agree and when an issue arises don't lie to your customers and actually fix the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
No matter what they do you won't be happy.

They have support reps on multiple forums, service centres in multiple country's and generally provide excellent service with fast turn around times, Iv used the service centre 3 times and on every one it was quick, easy and painless.

Nothing is perfect but they do more than another company in this game, just due to the numbers involved there will always be cases where things have not gone to plan but look at the forums across the board, the odd post about poor service but compared to the sales it's minuscule, DJI have probably sold more Sparks in the fist week than all the rest have sold period.

But again you can't please all of the people all of the time and people only shout when they are unhappy in general.
As you pointed out in one of your previous posts a company the size of DJI should have just replaced the unit after the second issue. It would not have hurt their bottom line at all, and I wouldn't have ever had to make this post about DJI screwing up AGAIN.
I've had small issues before with DJI, which were resolved either buy looking them up on the forums or by sending in the unit in the case of the Phantom 4 and there were no complications, they resolved the issue and I wouldn't have had to complain.