Screwed by DJI AGAIN!! - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jun 12, 2017, 10:14 AM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge2489

We have the Better Business Bureau but I've never used them and not sure what their powers are.
And I always try to leave things on a good note with any company I deal with. Never know when I'll need them again
BBB is a "paid off or not" service which supports many ripoffs - as long as they are legal. In other words, they don't look into the ethics, morals, etc. and they do better for paying members than for general business.

These days forums, facebook and Amazon reviews are the more important arbeiters.

If it was an "new- old stock) Inspire 1, that's a different story. I would have thought that the Inspire threads here or on Inspire pilots would have experienced (and know) everything by now. In any case, given an older machine like that an instant swap would seem the way to go.

I'm not an Inspire expert but I think there have been various problems with the fancier cameras over the years...most all a matter of firmware and software which was either fixed or promised to be. Some many remain imperfect (or even no useable)....

When stuff like this happens to me (almost never, tho), I keep repeating to myself "thousands are using the same piece of equipment successfully, what is up?". Or, I look hard in the forums and see that everyone else is having the same problem- which makes me at least feel better about it....

Good Luck with your quest. I know there are always a lot of rants against DJI, but the real issue here that that we need you to tell us (the public) when and if you find better models which represent a better value and similar technology.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2017, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyStain
Long story short, multirotors have an inherent risk for failure and you should not be relying on consumer pre made drones. You need to learn how to build and maintain your own device.

Is DJI screwy, yes. But the biggest problem here is the need to constantly send it back and forth. Build one yourself and buy double or triple the parts for spares. I have doubles, minimum, of everything including my 500$ goggles which pays off every time something inevitably fails.

I can tell you the original problem was probably as simple as replacing the video transmitter or antennas, possibly the receiver in radio. All of these things would take a builder less then hour to check and fix.
Yes... I agree.
I started building one last year (a VulcanUAV Black Widow) the cost to build a big drone like that came out to more than the Inspire.
Plus the Inspire camera can all be adjusted and changed from the controller. I can take videos and then take pictures without landing.
That's why we went with the Inspire. I've never had issue before so just for the time savings part we thought it would be better, but it was the biggest mistake we've made trusting DJI
Jun 12, 2017, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri
BBB is a "paid off or not" service which supports many ripoffs - as long as they are legal. In other words, they don't look into the ethics, morals, etc. and they do better for paying members than for general business.

These days forums, facebook and Amazon reviews are the more important arbeiters.

If it was an "new- old stock) Inspire 1, that's a different story. I would have thought that the Inspire threads here or on Inspire pilots would have experienced (and know) everything by now. In any case, given an older machine like that an instant swap would seem the way to go.

I'm not an Inspire expert but I think there have been various problems with the fancier cameras over the years...most all a matter of firmware and software which was either fixed or promised to be. Some many remain imperfect (or even no useable)....

When stuff like this happens to me (almost never, tho), I keep repeating to myself "thousands are using the same piece of equipment successfully, what is up?". Or, I look hard in the forums and see that everyone else is having the same problem- which makes me at least feel better about it....

Good Luck with your quest. I know there are always a lot of rants against DJI, but the real issue here that that we need you to tell us (the public) when and if you find better models which represent a better value and similar technology.
Your last statement was what I was going for.
I figured if I post on the forums someone might give me a better idea which direction to go for to cut all ties with DJI, right now I haven't found a good alternative other than building one yourself (which sadly lacks the features and costs more).

But I'm not ready to give up, I will find a replacement or find someone who is motivated as much as I am to build a worthy replacement for the DJI stuff...
Jun 12, 2017, 10:37 AM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
Don't beat yourself up. Normally it's reasonable to expect a certain minimum level of product quality but drones are analogous to cars. Sometimes a new car will come off the lot with problems, but you can just drive right back. Even if they aren't fixing the problem right, is only a few miles to back there to scream at their face and make them get it right. But you can't do that with these drones and they always use proprietary parts that make it especially difficult or impossible to do your own repairs. It really is a bad situation to be in.

I'm hoping that it gets better in the future, maybe one day we'll have local certified repair shops for drones.
Jun 12, 2017, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Don't beat yourself up. Normally it's reasonable to expect a certain minimum level of product quality but drones are analogous to cars. Sometimes a new car will come off the lot with problems, but you can just drive right back. Even if they aren't fixing the problem right, is only a few miles to back there to scream at their face and make them get it right. But you can't do that with these drones and they always use proprietary parts that make it especially difficult or impossible to do your own repairs. It really is a bad situation to be in.

I'm hoping that it gets better in the future, maybe one day we'll have local certified repair shops for drones.
I tried contacting the DJI Store in New York City, its about a 340 mile drive for me but I thought maybe dealing with them in person would help, turns out they don't warranty anything unless you buy from the store itself. They wanted me to pay, and I told them I have no problem to pay for the repairs if they can honestly guarantee me they will resolve all the issues, that agent on the phone told me we cannot give that guarantee, so that idea was scrapped just like that.
Jun 12, 2017, 11:25 AM
Yea DJI has some sort of weird segmentation issue that's the result of some contractual weirdness from before they got popular over here. It's part of their problem, if they could have better support facilities going on stateside maybe they'd have a chance.
Jun 12, 2017, 12:25 PM
There are few dji guys in this forum, just look at the index, find the guy who started the "official" dji thread and pm him.

Eg Tahoe Ed and blade strike.
Jun 12, 2017, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE9999
There are few dji guys in this forum, just look at the index, find the guy who started the "official" dji thread and pm him.

Eg Tahoe Ed and blade strike.
Tahoe Ed, I have already sent a message too.
I will try to send a message to blade strike as well.
Thank you!
Jun 12, 2017, 01:19 PM
US Support / 107 Certified
Just got the PM, my main question is why are you showing a on fire inspire 1 in your video? This all of a sudden makes me want to think this is click bait?! Did you inspire 1 really catch fire?

I will be forwarding this but I know certain high ups will ask the same question, so can you please explain yourself?
Latest blog entry: DJI Battery Station FAQ v1.4
Jun 12, 2017, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike
Just got the PM, my main question is why are you showing a on fire inspire 1 in your video? This all of a sudden makes me want to think this is click bait?! Did you inspire 1 really catch fire?

I will be forwarding this but I know certain high ups will ask the same question, so can you please explain yourself?
Just hoping it would get more attention, but I can remove the thumb nail it was just a picture. And no it never caught fire, yet.

Thumbnail changed... wasn't trying to start an issue.
Jun 12, 2017, 01:37 PM
US Support / 107 Certified
Quote:
Just hoping it would get more attention, but I can remove the thumb nail it was just a picture. And no it never caught fire, yet.

Thumbnail changed... wasn't trying to start an issue.
Thanks! we want the higher up that will be looking into this to not think you're being untruthful.. Its almost like clickbait and that wont help your case.

I have forwarded to the proper channels and I do apologize for this headache !
Latest blog entry: DJI Battery Station FAQ v1.4
Jun 12, 2017, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike
Thanks! we want the higher up that will be looking into this to not think you're being untruthful.. Its almost like clickbait and that wont help your case.

I have forwarded to the proper channels and I do apologize for this headache !
No problem, not trying to do anything untruthful here just looking to get this issue resolved.

And thank you!
Jun 12, 2017, 03:16 PM
Also aside from my earlier opinion about this hobby in general, I would probably pursue legal action on principle if it's not resolved. You may not receive any money back even from a successful suit after expenses, but at least they wouldn't have your money anymore.
Jun 12, 2017, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Also aside from my earlier opinion about this hobby in general, I would probably pursue legal action on principle if it's not resolved. You may not receive any money back even from a successful suit after expenses, but at least they wouldn't have your money anymore.
That's what everyone I know keeps telling me, but I want to try to resolve things without lawyers and all that drama before I go that route.
Jun 12, 2017, 11:00 PM
Quote:
That's what everyone I know keeps telling me, but I want to try to resolve things without lawyers and all that drama before I go that route.
True. And I'm sure DJI will have a handful of lawsuits on their hands if they don't fix the latest fecal firmware update extravaganza which turned P4Ps into Definitely Junky Items with poor video feed.