Screwed by DJI AGAIN!! - RC Groups
Jun 11, 2017, 04:54 PM
Careful!

Screwed by DJI AGAIN!!

So I got screwed by DJI again for the third time now.... check out the video below, and the PDF for the complete story.

Video:
DJI Inspire Pro crash, Screwed by DJI... again (2 min 36 sec)

If anyone can help in anyway to get this resolved that would be awesome. or if someone can point me were to get help.
We've thought about hiring a lawyer but that will be expensive, and very time consuming, so that's the last resort.
Last edited by Fudge2489; Jun 12, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2017, 01:06 AM
"Spent many hours educating people about drone safety"......flies drone in front yard without even being at the controls.

Sounds like a mess all round.
Jun 12, 2017, 03:49 AM
Experience not required
Man I can not believe this horror story. I hope I don't have to go thru this crap.
Jun 12, 2017, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki
"Spent many hours educating people about drone safety"......flies drone in front yard without even being at the controls.

Sounds like a mess all round.
Yes... my mistake.
Got too trusting of GPS mode... lesson learned never again
Though wouldn't have changed what happened since I grabbed the controller and nothing happened.
Jun 12, 2017, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1
Man I can not believe this horror story. I hope I don't have to go thru this crap.
i hope you not anyone does either... hopefully something at DJI changes.
Jun 12, 2017, 07:30 AM
I'm sorry to read about your problems. I really do hope they get sorted.

Unfortunately the story your wrote in the attached PDF is full of so many babbling tangents and so much complete nonsense that I couldn't complete the read. At times you strain plausibility when you make the point that you bought drones you didn't necessarily need simply to support the company. And how one reason you sold your drones to help others afford a used one, and to "spread the hobby and the DJI brand".

Come on now.
Last edited by Technica; Jun 12, 2017 at 07:35 AM.
Jun 12, 2017, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica
I'm sorry to read about your problems. I really do hope they get sorted.

Unfortunately the story your wrote in the attached PDF is full of so many babbling tangents and so much complete nonsense that I couldn't complete the read. At times you strain plausibility when you make the point that you bought drones you didn't necessarily need simply to support the company. And how one reason you sold your drones to help others afford a used one, and to "spread the hobby and the DJI brand".

Come on now.
My bad, I'll clean it up a bit.
Jun 12, 2017, 08:14 AM
Here is an idea of what you have to deal with when contacting DJI:
http://i.xomf.com/jjrpd.jpg
Jun 12, 2017, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge2489
My bad, I'll clean it up a bit.
I just think it would be far more effective in relaying the issue to readers if you kept it on the straight and narrow.
I did just finish reading your story. Sorry to see that all happened and I hope you can find some satisfactory resolution. Unfortunately, there are many cases similar, and ultimately, DJI decides who pays and who doesn't, as you know.

Also, I'm betting that your PayPal dispute with them didn't help your cause. Not saying you were not justified in opening the dispute, but it may have rendered your situation somewhat tainted to them. I don't know,
Jun 12, 2017, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighAerials
Here is an idea of what you have to deal with when contacting DJI:
http://i.xomf.com/jjrpd.jpg
Sorry to see that man. I fee your pain.
Jun 12, 2017, 08:30 AM
Quote:
I just think it would be far more effective in relaying the issue to readers if you kept it on the straight and narrow.
I did just finish reading your story. Sorry to see that all happened and I hope you can find some satisfactory resolution. Unfortunately, there are many cases similar, and ultimately, DJI decides who pays and who doesn't, as you know.

Also, I'm betting that your PayPal dispute with them didn't help your cause. Not saying you were not justified in opening the dispute, but it may have rendered your situation somewhat tainted to them. I don't know,
My buddy and I have thought the same thing... and to be honest I'll pay them back for that if that's what they want I just want them to fix it, or replace it.
It wasn't my fault it crashed, but if the Inspire was working properly when I got it back the PayPal case wouldn't have been opened. I opened it in the hopes they would either take the drone back and replace it or fix the issue, instead they just refunded the money.

I really want to just sell it and buy something different at this point... but I can't do that knowing the issues it keeps having, I don't want to be held liable for it when the new owner crashes.

But I'm cutting out a lot of the junk in the PDF that really doesn't matter. Should be more polished in a few minutes 👍🏻
Jun 12, 2017, 09:03 AM
Critic at Large
While I don't doubt your story, many potential problems could be solved by following the age-old advice on DJI (and every other maker!) equipment. This particular advice is so basic - so easy - and so evident that I hesitate to repeat it here. This is something I constantly have stated in my articles and reviews (I am a Drone blogger).

That advice is "wait 3-6 months after the release date of any model to purchase it".

While it does not solve every problem, it solves many. Those of us here (on RCG) tend to know we are "getting in early" and tend to be more understanding of firmware and other problems. In fact, I've had 6 DJI pieces of equipment and have never made a single phonecall to support. I guess that's another important piece of advice "You will generally get much better answers from other experts and the two DJI Forum reps (Ed and Ken) than you will from DJI support".

Ideally, DJI would set up phone support like cable companies do - that is, we all know that the low-level tech support usually is just looking at a screen (knowledge or data base) for info - which is worthless to those needing real technical help. A "level 2" and "level 3" would be nice for those problems where a person who knows their stuff is the customer calling up...but being new tech, frankly there are not a lot of people who know things.

Lastly, and this one is on DJI, there is a massive difference between the support that should be expected and given for a $500 o $900 machine and what should exist for a 5K+.

If they are going to play in those big leagues they have to look at it like "concierge service" and perhaps have a complete other crew to deal with Matrix and Inspire 2.

I'm not in any way suggesting that it is your fault....but you can see in my opinion and advice above that there are way for the average pilot to avoid most of these problems.

I mean - spending 22 hours on the phone?? Heck, I own massive amounts of tech stuff and don't spend 30 minutes a year on all of it combined (on the phone). I ask others here and the DJI guys here and go back and check the documentation - then I pull out my common sense.

Either something works or it doesn't. Endlessly prodding someone on the phone...isn't gonna fix much unless you are talking to the cable company and they can send a signal to your box.

Anyway, I am writing this for you as much as for others. If a pilot wants to spend as little time as possible with customer service, warranty, etc - WAIT - and follow along with the threads on RCG and elsewhere. You can get a good feel for each particular unit.

Example - in the case of the P3P it was probably 60 days after release that most of the larger problems (VPS reporting errors, etc.) was taken care of.

SInce many here come from the "old" hobby, we actually feel a sense of accomplishment when we find these bugs and report them to Ken and Ed and/or DJI...and then see them fixed in a week or two. Troubleshooting is in our blood.

But - again - on the higher end machines I am with you. Perfection should be the goal and the only accepted outcome.
Jun 12, 2017, 09:07 AM
Quote:

At what point do you seek outside intervention though? Personally I'd have lost my patience a look time ago.

When offering a service, you never promise delivery dates, its the number 1 way to get a customer on your bad side. You dont make promises on situations beyond your control, nor do you not call back when you say you will; thats just fundamentals.

What would have really sent me round the bend is being made to jump through all the hoops they want you to go through knowing full well none of them are the solution, when a customer eventually tires of playing your silly games, they have to turn somewhere.

No idea what the OP has available but in Australia Id have just told DJI to stick it and they can deal with the Fair Trade Commission. Its amazing how quickly you get results when they get involved.
Jun 12, 2017, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri
While I don't doubt your story, many potential problems could be solved by following the age-old advice on DJI (and every other maker!) equipment. This particular advice is so basic - so easy - and so evident that I hesitate to repeat it here. This is something I constantly have stated in my articles and reviews (I am a Drone blogger).

That advice is "wait 3-6 months after the release date of any model to purchase it".

While it does not solve every problem, it solves many. Those of us here (on RCG) tend to know we are "getting in early" and tend to be more understanding of firmware and other problems. In fact, I've had 6 DJI pieces of equipment and have never made a single phonecall to support. I guess that's another important piece of advice "You will generally get much better answers from other experts and the two DJI Forum reps (Ed and Ken) than you will from DJI support".

Ideally, DJI would set up phone support like cable companies do - that is, we all know that the low-level tech support usually is just looking at a screen (knowledge or data base) for info - which is worthless to those needing real technical help. A "level 2" and "level 3" would be nice for those problems where a person who knows their stuff is the customer calling up...but being new tech, frankly there are not a lot of people who know things.

Lastly, and this one is on DJI, there is a massive difference between the support that should be expected and given for a $500 o $900 machine and what should exist for a 5K+.

If they are going to play in those big leagues they have to look at it like "concierge service" and perhaps have a complete other crew to deal with Matrix and Inspire 2.

I'm not in any way suggesting that it is your fault....but you can see in my opinion and advice above that there are way for the average pilot to avoid most of these problems.

I mean - spending 22 hours on the phone?? Heck, I own massive amounts of tech stuff and don't spend 30 minutes a year on all of it combined (on the phone). I ask others here and the DJI guys here and go back and check the documentation - then I pull out my common sense.

Either something works or it doesn't. Endlessly prodding someone on the phone...isn't gonna fix much unless you are talking to the cable company and they can send a signal to your box.

Anyway, I am writing this for you as much as for others. If a pilot wants to spend as little time as possible with customer service, warranty, etc - WAIT - and follow along with the threads on RCG and elsewhere. You can get a good feel for each particular unit.

Example - in the case of the P3P it was probably 60 days after release that most of the larger problems (VPS reporting errors, etc.) was taken care of.

SInce many here come from the "old" hobby, we actually feel a sense of accomplishment when we find these bugs and report them to Ken and Ed and/or DJI...and then see them fixed in a week or two. Troubleshooting is in our blood.

But - again - on the higher end machines I am with you. Perfection should be the goal and the only accepted outcome.
That's why I hadn't upgraded to the Inspire 2, I bought the Inspire RAW instead the Inspire 2 was just announced. So it wasn't a new product.
And I contacted DJI because the drone was not even a day old when I had the issue so figured why do it myself when I spent that kind of money they should send me a unit that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki
At what point do you seek outside intervention though? Personally I'd have lost my patience a look time ago.

When offering a service, you never promise delivery dates, its the number 1 way to get a customer on your bad side. You dont make promises on situations beyond your control, nor do you not call back when you say you will; thats just fundamentals.

What would have really sent me round the bend is being made to jump through all the hoops they want you to go through knowing full well none of them are the solution, when a customer eventually tires of playing your silly games, they have to turn somewhere.

No idea what the OP has available but in Australia Id have just told DJI to stick it and they can deal with the Fair Trade Commission. Its amazing how quickly you get results when they get involved.
We have the Better Business Bureau but I've never used them and not sure what their powers are.
And I always try to leave things on a good note with any company I deal with. Never know when I'll need them again
Jun 12, 2017, 10:07 AM
Long story short, multirotors have an inherent risk for failure and you should not be relying on consumer pre made drones. You need to learn how to build and maintain your own device.

Is DJI screwy, yes. But the biggest problem here is the need to constantly send it back and forth. Build one yourself and buy double or triple the parts for spares. I have doubles, minimum, of everything including my 500$ goggles which pays off every time something inevitably fails.

I can tell you the original problem was probably as simple as replacing the video transmitter or antennas, possibly the receiver in radio. All of these things would take a builder less then hour to check and fix.
Last edited by MoldyStain; Jun 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM.