Oct 24, 2004, 03:20 AM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
Build Log

Ray's Me-262

One of the coolest planes ever and one of my personal favorites! Just a burly, tuff Bada$$! I hope to do a good job with this, but there's no way I'll even come close to Henry's finishing skills.

Here's the basic 'kit'.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2004, 03:25 AM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
Fuse needed a little bondo, spot putty as well as some extra glass. I told Ray that I needed it light.....he built it light! A little glass on the inside and I was happy.
Oct 24, 2004, 03:30 AM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
The hatch was kind of a bugger to get it to fit right, so I decided to try the 'brute force' method. I glued it in place with CA, slathered bondo all over it and scrubbed the whole area with 40 grit. Perfect!

How do I get this off? Crap.

I may have to do this after I cut out the wing saddle.
Oct 24, 2004, 03:55 AM
Jim in San Diego
Ahhh, cool. Jeff, are you going to do a complete build thread?
Oct 24, 2004, 10:06 AM
Jeff I had the same problem with the 262 I built, I used the same method you did, but I temp glued it, sanded it, wrapped the hatch with clear tape, and then applied the bondo, completed sanding it out.

good luck

Bill
Oct 24, 2004, 10:30 AM
ALL IN !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Charlot
I may have to do this after I cut out the wing saddle.
Jeff I d like to see some pics and the method you use to cut the wing saddle if that is not a proplem. I have never seen it done.

Thanks
Louie
Oct 24, 2004, 03:11 PM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
Pismo, I'm gonna try. I'm kinda limited on time, so I'm going to get as much done as I can.

Louie. I'll definately post how I do that. I had to ask Bill when he did his thread.

Bill, glad you did that build thread, I've gone back and checked it a few times. Hopefully I'll do as good a job as you did.

Jeff
Oct 24, 2004, 04:43 PM
Jim in San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L
Jeff I had the same problem with the 262 I built, I used the same method you did, but I temp glued it, sanded it, wrapped the hatch with clear tape, and then applied the bondo, completed sanding it out.

good luck

Bill
So does anyone know of an easier/better way? I'm at the "thinking" stage for the Bearcat (finally got the Mach Dart and M60 flyable) and want to begin soon and the hatch is one of many things I'm wondering about.

I've done some searching under slope and can't find all of the hints I was hoping for so I must be screwing up my searches. I'll keep trying but anything you guys can add (or point me to) in this thread would be great.

I've seen the following and now can't seem to sort through my searches to find (I'm sure I just need to try a little harder though):

A build of a sheeting and glassing a PSS wing (may have been in another full build thread) that was really detailed. IIRC, it showed a lot of detail on how to make the control linkages and surfaces. TFLG's maybe?

I could have sworn I saw a couple of threads on the Bearcat too. One may have been Bill L's and I think the other was RayH's Rarebear.

Now that I'm writing all of this I think I'm motivated to go look again.

Anyway, sorry for the threadjack & I'm all eye's Jeff. Anything you can spare to share is much appreciated. I understand your time - sheesh you're making a lot of planes
Oct 24, 2004, 04:51 PM
Jim in San Diego
Heh. I just took a look at the Shark thread. There's part of my answers Thx Jeff!
Oct 24, 2004, 04:56 PM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
Pismo, whatever I know I'll be happy to share. For the wings, I use balsa and 3M and will solartex. Some folks like using ply and glass, but it's a bit heavy for me. Check out Bill's thread from when he build a 262, lots of great info there. I'm trying to pick up whatever info I can as well.
Oct 24, 2004, 05:02 PM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
Ray's wings arrived already sheeted with balsa, so that step was handled for me.
Oct 24, 2004, 05:10 PM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
The leading edge, tips and trailing edge is glued on with epoxy and sanded down. Doesn't take many words to explain, but it takes some time to do!
Oct 24, 2004, 05:20 PM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
The wing after sanding.
Oct 24, 2004, 05:22 PM
Insert custom witicism
Thread OP
It's not too early for bench flying is it?
Oct 24, 2004, 05:53 PM
It could happen...
Looks menacing already! How about a all black paint scheme with a single red star on the vertical...ala Top Gun Russian "Migs"? I doubt it's a scale scheme, but for some reason, seeing that dark primered fuse...it just jumps out at me!

Quick Reply