Oct 24, 2004, 02:01 AM
Thread OP

Is it normal to have spark for Lipo??

Hi:

I was using an X-acto knife to strip the 1/4" wire off of the Apogee 3 Cell 1660mAh battery for soldeing. Then all of a sudden I saw a spark when the knife touched the wire. I am sure the red and back wires were not touching each other. I then used the knife to touch one of the battery wire again; and I see the spark again.

Is it something of concern?? Bad pack?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2004, 02:20 AM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Good question. Were you touching the blade with your finger at the time? Could have been some static electricity. Are you POSITIVE that the blade did not cut the insulation of the other wire or touch the the end of the other wire when it happened? Is it a big arc or barely noticable? If the latter then I don't think it is anything to worry about. If the former than I'm clueless unless the leads touched and you were unaware of it.

Mike
Oct 24, 2004, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
Hi Mike:

Thanks for the reply. Now I start to think, maybe the 2 wires did touch each other for a brief moment, not directly, but through the X-acto knife..... silly me.....

Thanks for the help!
Oct 24, 2004, 08:31 AM
Just one more plane!
Never take the insulation off both leads. Connect the positive lead to the connector and insulate it with heatshrink before you do the negitive. Keep the wires from touching or making contact in any way. Especially when working with LiPo's. Don't be silly!

John

Quick Reply