Dreamflight Ahi aerobatic glider - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 01, 2017, 07:07 AM
Aircraft Life
I'm drooling. That thing looks fun!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2017, 12:23 PM
I know everybody is hot and bothered about this but this seems like the Aroso and Astik have been out for awhile are lighter and look to be pretty awesome flyers. Looks pretty similar:

Aroso ST (2 min 51 sec)
Jul 02, 2017, 01:06 PM
foam is fun, but glass is fast
I was looking at aroso over a year ago but at that time not shipping to USA, feel free to start a thread on them
Latest blog entry: What I currently own..
Jul 02, 2017, 01:15 PM
And still not available as far as I can tell,
Jul 02, 2017, 02:02 PM
You could get one if you are resourceful.
Jul 02, 2017, 02:27 PM

Aroso

I investigated the availability of the Aroso & derivatives several years back....to no success.

Built up a facsimile out of scrap white foam sheet. Had hollow wing with foam ribs. It flew well, especially inverted, but was extremely fragile & didn't last long. Did amazing multi-turn inverted spins with in-my-face recoveries. Might try again sometime with lightly glassed or full tape covered fuse.

There is a German regular at my usual slope who travels there each year. Thought of asking him to bring back a batch (or at least one for me!) of Arosos but that may not be too likely. He claims that German manufacturers of most things are acutely sensitive to product liability issues & may not want to sell, internationally, a small profit item that does have inherent damage risks.

Richard
Last edited by CFIMEI; Jul 03, 2017 at 12:13 PM.
Jul 03, 2017, 07:26 AM
Urban sloper
The Aroso (a fellow here owns one) is a very nice depron kit. I expect the Ahi to perform better, since it's wrinkle - less moulded like the latest DF products, apart from surface finish the airfoil can be way more accurate than wrapping a depron sheet around a carbon spar.

Let's see, by the way it's July already and I still don't have an Ahi, so upsetting
Jul 03, 2017, 12:01 PM

Ahi

Yeah, I'll probably get in line for an Ahi also. Don't really have the time nor will to scratch up another more durable Aroso facsimile.

I've flown that cliff in the demo vid a couple of times with heavier, faster, planes. The lift there is a very limited vertical zone off the near vertical bluff face, so if the Ahi can do that well tightly bunting/Immelmaning inverted there it will likely be great at my home slopes with larger lift & some thermals. I'd better get an order in! I'm only 45 miles down the coast from DF so maybe a pickup?

Richard
Last edited by CFIMEI; Jul 11, 2017 at 09:31 PM.
Jul 03, 2017, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfarren
I was looking at aroso over a year ago but at that time not shipping to USA, feel free to start a thread on them

Aroso, There was one sold here recently
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3846
Jul 03, 2017, 12:17 PM
Ahi will be available on the shelf at California hobbies in goleta Richard, he's open Tuesday thru Saturday's, they had weasel treks were on the shelf the same day Dreamflight started shipping kits.
Jul 03, 2017, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakumann
Aroso, There was one sold here recently
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3846
Oh I came close to snatching it up, but had just bought a radian and all the gear for a slope x, gotta have some restraint lol
James
Jul 03, 2017, 12:39 PM

Ahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfarren
Ahi will be available on the shelf at California hobbies in goleta Richard, he's open Tuesday thru Saturday's, they had weasel treks were on the shelf the same day Dreamflight started shipping kits.
Thanks James,

Sorry I missed you awhile back when you brought your Le Coquillaj down to Wood Ranch Hill. Really wanted to see one up close & personal. Had one ordered from Aloft long ago but delivery was so long I gave up. Think the Ahi will be a better choice in lots of ways. Price being at the top!

I'll grab the Ahi soon.

Riichard
Jul 06, 2017, 11:06 AM
Usedbombistan
Any word on when ordering is going to be available? Can't wait!
Jul 06, 2017, 11:29 AM
In a recent email exchange with Michael he expected Ahi retail availability mid-July.
Jul 06, 2017, 10:07 PM
His FB page said orders taken starting this coming Wednesday