1930's Salmon Troller - RC Groups
Jun 09, 2017, 09:05 PM
Build Log

1930's Salmon Troller

Time to build a fishing boat !

After three Tugs in a row it’s time to build a fishing boat, long time coming.

There is only one in the home fleet and it was not built by me, she is Trident Commander, built by revered RCG member Scupperbill.

The real subject here would be a smaller boat, around 30 feet, a Salmon Troller.

Loosely built after a well known model in Washington that was seen here at Spreckels Lake a few years ago, Jeannett …..

Built in 1963, Jeannette is Really well done as can be seen in these first few pictures.

A hull just like this is not available that I know of so a similar donor was found, a Graupner Antje.

Only the hull will be used and it will have major surgery to bring it around to look like a North American fishing boat.

Looks like most of these old boats were built in a wide range of configurations, so much license is available to create a fun model with worrying about building an exact copy of a real boat ……
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2017, 09:10 PM
This is Trident Commander, built by Scupperbill in Florida ~

His model is now in California waters, soon to have company.
Jun 09, 2017, 09:30 PM
Great a new build log! I'm sure this is going to be a nice freelance boat to build.

I'll be following
Jun 09, 2017, 09:39 PM

Jeannette

The inspiration, Jeannette, is a Beautiful model that was brought down from Washington, ever since then we wished that a commercial hull or kit would come out.

That was more than two years ago, I am tired of waiting.

At 54 years old this model is in amazing condition and has obviously been well cared for.
Jun 10, 2017, 12:28 AM
Tim, glad to see another troller being built to add to the fishing boat fleet. I will try and get you some additional photos for reference from my fishing boat folders. I know the owner of the model quite well and pictures, as you well know, do not do justice to this build. jerryj98501
Jun 10, 2017, 12:37 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
The inspiration, Jeannette, is a Beautiful model that was brought down from Washington, ever since then we wished that a commercial hull or kit would come out.

That was more than two years ago, I am tired of waiting.

At 54 years old this model is in amazing condition and has obviously been well cared for.
Tom's dad built the model originally and he finished it off and added all the 'fun" stuff. These are usually known as double ender trollers as they have pointy ends with the front being more vertical. There are a lot different configurations one can find depending on size, built year, and what fishery it was designed for. Location also comes into play. Trollers, gillnetters can be similar except the gear used is way different as well as technique. Trollers keep moving at all time since they are fishing multiple lines with multiple hooks. Gillnetters are more stationary and roll out a net to catch fish by their gills in the net.
No hull available at this time is true. Not much demand for them and no one has invested the time----yet. Your choice with the Anjte should work just need to pick a specific style of the boats.
Jun 10, 2017, 01:20 AM
Tim, here are some more pictures. Grace is one of the nicest and is in Keith S neighborhood. No sorting, just as they came from the folder. jerryj98501
Jun 10, 2017, 01:29 AM
Tim, If the Josephine looks somewhat what you want, I can get additional photos as she is in the harbor and I can talk Sam into letting me aboard for detail shots. jerryj98501
Jun 10, 2017, 06:17 AM
Oh boy a new project! Nothing like the start of anew boat. Looking forward to watching you put your touch on this fishing boat. It is going to be fun.
Jun 10, 2017, 06:40 AM
Looking forward to another great build
Jun 10, 2017, 08:08 AM
Neat.
Jun 10, 2017, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryj98501
Tim, If the Josephine looks somewhat what you want, I can get additional photos as she is in the harbor and I can talk Sam into letting me aboard for detail shots. jerryj98501
Yes Please !
Jun 10, 2017, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryj98501
Tim, glad to see another troller being built to add to the fishing boat fleet. I will try and get you some additional photos for reference from my fishing boat folders. I know the owner of the model quite well and pictures, as you well know, do not do justice to this build. jerryj98501
That owner would be Tom !

Thanks to Mike_Victoria and Gary King, I was able to get in touch with Tom, we even had a good phone conversation as he was on his way to Anacortes.

The model is a Very special prize ~