Here Pitts Special Build 30in (1/2A) - RC Groups
Jun 08, 2017, 08:09 PM
Discussion

Here Pitts Special Build 30in (1/2A)

Hey fellow modelers!

I am new to this forum. So... Hey!

I'm finally building a plane I've wanted to build for ever! The Herr Pitts Special Bipe! I'm building Herr's "mini floats" to put on it in addition to the main gear. It should be awesome! An Enya 09-iv will be my power source.
I will be working on this in between work and college... but hope to have it done sooner rather than later and will be posting and taking pictures of the work in progress. Any advice from people who have built this model before would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of using CoverLite as my covering. Anybody here have much experience with it?

...this will be fun!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2017, 10:59 PM
Welcome to the forum!

That is a plane I have always wanted to build as well, in any size and from any plans or kit. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics and progress as you go. It is a plane that I haven't seen too much in the way of build threads on so it should be a treat.

Mike
Jun 09, 2017, 01:23 PM
I have a kit laying around somewhere that I never got around to building...

There is a good build thread here; RCU build thread

With the maiden video here;
1/2A Pitts Special w/ OS .15 LA (5 min 19 sec)
Jun 09, 2017, 11:41 PM
I don't have the Pitts, but have a couple Herr Aquastars. A retrieval boat is a must on a float plane. Mine never even got unstuck from the water. A design flaw IMHO. Looks like a nice project from the video.
Jun 10, 2017, 06:01 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
From the video, looks like a sweet little ride.
While we're on the subject, can anyone explain the differences between the different Enya .09 series - the I, II, III, IV, V?
And does the TV mean anything?
Cheers, and thanks - Peter
Jun 10, 2017, 06:05 PM
From the ones that I have, the Enya III has the exhaust on the lefthand side while the IV has it on the righthand side. The muffler is larger for the IV (compared to the III model) and the latest IV models comes with the even larger ,15 mufflers. There is no Enya .09 V as far as I know?

The "TV" simply stands for throttle valve, i.e. RC.

Here is a picture of the .09III (with the model III muffler) on the right and the IV is to the left;
Jun 10, 2017, 07:14 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
That is super, I appreciate that. These seem to be desirable engines and I have never seen an explanation of what the different versions meant. Do you think there is a performance difference between the III and IV, some other modifications?
Jun 10, 2017, 08:33 PM
I would get the latest one, they had better mufflers at least. After my first Cox motor, I decided to go bigger with the .09 III I think. It did not last long, maybe because of leaning out at the end of the tank, or whatever. I was not a happy kid around 1970, and kept away from Enya ever since. Other people like them though and say they last forever. Oh ya, I have a worn out .19 too, but a good .35. I did like the exhaust on the opposite side for priming on the .09. Now with mufflers on everything it makes little differernce. I like a used LA .10 or .15 better, or even an AP .09 or .15. Just my opinion, and it is free unless you send money.
Jun 11, 2017, 03:33 PM
I think Enyas can be made to last for a long time, but it is nothing to take for granted. They need to run on all castor fuel, and about 20-25% of it (preferably 25% for running in). Plus, they can not be leaned out the way a modern ABC engine can. Instead they should be used more like one would in CL, i.e. sometimes breaking out into a clean two stroke mode in manoeuvres, but mainly putting about in a richer mode.

I think most of the Chinese offerings will likely serve a beginner better. They are less picky on the fuel choice (can take fully synthetic oils) and they can be run closer to peak without taking any permanent damage. The ASP .12 for instance is a nice engine. It will not take as large props as the Enya .09 can though, about a 7x4 is max.

I have seen an Enya .25 that was run-in on modern fuels and it had not compression left. It could be made to run on all castor fuel but didn't run as it should....

From Enya the .11CX is a much better choice. True ABC and double ballbearings etc. The quoted weights for these are high, but they are including the weight of the muffler in those numbers, unlike most other manufacturers. Here are some weights for a comparison:

Enya .09IV RC: 117g (+ muffler 27g ) for a total of 144g
Enya .11CX Ultra RC: 158g (+ muffler 27g) for a total of 185g
ASP .12 RC: 138g (+ muffler 37g) for a total of 175g
Sep 25, 2017, 12:45 AM
vwsean

My Herr pitts special

480 park flyer electric 1320 battery 11x5.5 prop. Hitech might mini metal servo's.... converted the flapper on .....planes a blast, Super aerobat
Sep 25, 2017, 01:56 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
I don't have the Pitts, but have a couple Herr Aquastars. A retrieval boat is a must on a float plane. Mine never even got unstuck from the water. A design flaw IMHO. Looks like a nice project from the video.
at first I found the same thing, the V hull would just plow through the water. It needed chine rails added from the step forward. I just used triangle stock with a rail on the 45 to make the hull a W hull from the step forward. with those changes mine was a beast. It was electric, but would submarine though waves, I flew it on white capped lakes, it was unreal. I won the northwest seaplane championships in '05 with one, it was such a great flier with modified hull, no dihedral, ailerons and tiny tip floats.... I have another kit if I ever get inspired, but as much as I love glow power, and I love glow power, small glow seaplanes aren't very practical, you can kill the engine very easy with water spray, and the electric equivalent can be more capable than anything else I've ever seen fly off water.

To the OP... if I may suggest, I would not try putting that bipe on floats, you are asking for trouble. unless you are very skilled at flying off water and you keep it extremely light it likely won't go well. If you insist.. I would highly recommend using the lightest floats you can find, all you need is cut EPS floats with 1/32 balsa sheeting on the bottom. We used to make EPS balsa sheeted foam floats for 40 sized sport planes that came out 3-4 ounces a set all up. If you are adding more than a few ounces to that bipe it will be a disaster. I would highly recommend just enjoy it for the challenge it will be off ground, and find something else to fly off water.. take a look at the dreamboat I just built, something like this is ideal for a parkflyer float plane... trust me, I have flown a ton off the water. I followed a similar path as you and insisted on putting my Extra 300L on floats for my first Pinehollow (1997 norhtwest seaplane championships at pinehollow resevoir in Oregon). It ended up with the entire front of the plane at the bottom of the lake... now I am an elite member of the pinehollow motor pool (my super tiger .45 sits at the bottom of that lake )

dreamboat build thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...reamboat/page9
Last edited by aaronredbaron; Sep 25, 2017 at 03:21 PM.