Jun 23, 2017, 09:14 PM
rc user
cooling fans will operate over a fairly large voltage spread. I was running mine plugged into a spare Rx port, so it was getting 5-6V. it ran fine, but the problem was it drew too much current for my crappy ESC.
cheaper car ESC's have pretty low spec'd BEC's- some low as 1.5A.
I learned the hard way, with signal loss when the steering servo was working hard and pulling too much current.

now even when buying cheap ESC's I make sure the BEC puts out at least 3A. or get a separate BEC(but that gets messy with the extra wiring)
and yes, you can run an extra battery. I have a 700mah 2S liFe in my Slash, the BEC died but the ESC part still works fine. The LiFe powers the Rx and cooling fan, works a treat.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2017, 09:38 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
I was worried about that. I have ordered some heat sink and fans with JST connectors, and 30 x 30mm fans as well with jst connectors, so the pro will keep its esc fan connected to the Rx, but the extra one on the motor I will run off a separate battery. Some of my helis came with 2 cell LiOn batteries.... but I use lipos.... so I will run the fans off one of these with the LiOn pack just velcro'd and strapped to the center spine.

The Lions wont mind getting run low, and I have lots of them. When I stop hammering.... er, I mean driving the car, I like to leave the fans going a bit longer to keep cooling.... so I can switch off the cars Lipo, and leave the fans running a while longer

A 7.4v Lion should run the fans for hours and dont weigh much.
Jun 28, 2017, 01:26 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
I had my first breakage today... this is after about 12 packs of total destruction in the brushless pro... I noticed one front wheel locked in the up position... I tried to pull the shock down, but it was stuck... jammed up closed.

I took the shock off and yanked it out and it came free, but the shaft is a tiny bit bent.... so i straightened it and it worked fine... then I noticed the seal screw on retainer was unscrewed and about to drop off. Anyway, I will fix it later and just put a new shock on.

I looked closely at the other shocks, one of the rears that screw on seal container was completely off and sitting at the bottom of the shaft.... So, I replaced that one too.

So, what did I learn? Well, even when new, take the shocks apart and tighten that seal retainer so it doesnt fall off and check them before a thrashing... er, I mean, driving the buggy

Not a bad damage repair bill considering the flogging it has copped.... still runs fine
Jun 28, 2017, 02:12 PM
rc user
sounds like you're having fun, which I believe someone once told me was the reasoning behind the hobby.

before that I thought it was just a mechanism to put us in the poorhouse
Jun 28, 2017, 05:14 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
sounds like you're having fun, which I believe someone once told me was the reasoning behind the hobby.

before that I thought it was just a mechanism to put us in the poorhouse
It seems I have found there is proof for both of those arguments

As I have said before tho, either I got the only good one.... or they are not as bad as others may think? I thought by now I would have destroyed one brushless and be gobbling parts off the brushed to keep it going.... instead, I have wring the brushless's neck constantly.... and all it has is jingly drive shafts and 2 shocks have had parts come loose?

The brushed hasnt even bent shock towers.... That will change soon tho I am in the process of getting the top version upgrades... the 100 amp esc and 2760kv motor that should solve the brushless lack of excitement problem )but upset the lack of parts damage score)

I think what caused the damage to the shock last night on the brushless... I was at the rc car track and it was getting dark. It is winter here, just had the shortest day... anyway, I was using the 2S 6200mAh 40c battery for the first time.... it was nearly dark and I was having trouble seeing the buggy and the battery wouldnt slow up, had been going half an hour.... anyway, I could see the buggy doing gymnastics off in the distance.... but it was still on its wheels evidently, so I just bought it back and came home.... it was only later that I noticed the suspension arm was up due to the jammed shock.

If I had a $800 buck Traxxis or some other top name buggy, I doubt I would be having as much fun as with this/these....
Jun 28, 2017, 05:40 PM
rc user
as i mentioned, neighbor bent shock towers and slung axles on his. it kept right on going though for a while.

my brushed version OTOH, has led an easy life but still ate the spur gear. metal replacements should fix that.
Jun 28, 2017, 05:50 PM
Are you running them on a dirt track with jumps yet or still bashing them on that "road" course and grass?
Jun 28, 2017, 06:09 PM
rc user
still running on the road and yard.
we have a dirt course close by but haven't made it there yet.
Jun 28, 2017, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu26
Are you running them on a dirt track with jumps yet or still bashing them on that "road" course and grass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
still running on the road and yard.
we have a dirt course close by but haven't made it there yet.
Sorry pdooley I was asking calcifier. I didn't see your post when I started typing my previous question. The only damage I did on grass was throwing dogbones and that was on fairly long, thick grass on a not very level playing field. Never damaged anything on hard surface. The breaks and problems I experienced started when running on dirt rc tracks and bashing on dirt / gravel carparks with ruts everywhere.
Jun 28, 2017, 09:00 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
I am still running it on the tar track, the skateboard bowl and the mown field and the gravel and longer grass next to the mown field.... there is some small jumps. The offroad rc car track should be reopening soon, they have been moving the dirt around
Jul 01, 2017, 04:08 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
All is still going well... no more damage.... these things are awesome! Well, the brushless ones are... the brushed are just so limited in every way... Even with a fresh 2S 4000mAh battery, as soon as you start you are full throttle.... as soon as you steer, you hear the motor slow... so there is no tail out action

So, to me, the brushless is only good for the tinyest back yard (but a 1/18 - 1/12 would be better for a small yard) , for a small child, an adult with terrible co-ordination.... or a shelf display model. They really arent much fun to use in general, I have found

So, to that end.... my hyperactive 'buy now finger' went nuts last night and I have a bunch of brushless stuff coming .... that will get it up and boogying or nothing will

I have a bunch of pinions here and some more on the way already, but I have just about one of everything in the way of motors coming,,,, and come combos. The combos are 3650 3900kv with 60A, 3650 3100kv with 60A and two 120A ESC's (Chinese, so probably at least 80A in reality)

Motors are all 3650 except for two 3660 2600kv. The XSTR can fit probably up to 3665 with a shoe horn... but too much kafuffel to try to fit 3670... so, for me, 3660 will be a breeze, straigh fit. With a 3660 2600kv with fan on motor and a 120kv fan cooled esc.... it should go ever so SLIGHTLY better than a brushed motor? That I do believe

The other motors coming as single motors are (all 3650) 2742kv, 3000kv, 3100kv, 3300kv, 3900kv

Yes, they are all Chinese clones of something good, but at around $AU20 -30... I am treating them like educational items. I researched and looked at forum posts etc... most threads are from 5 years ago at least... so they are irrelevant as technology has changed.... it seems very few people are looking at XSTR threads these days... so only one way to find out
Jul 01, 2017, 04:50 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Some of the motors are nameless Chinese brands, one is GoolRC.... are they any good? It seems to be that Gool is sort of promoted as 'king of the junk' ?

All of the motors are 4 pole, except the blue one that looks like the gold GOOLRC with the ribs around it... it says '3 Chase, 2 poles' 3G2P or something? I dont know what that is ... yet Only 500w... so would have a longer runtime?

Has anyone had any experience with these cheap motors?
Last edited by Calcifer; Jul 01, 2017 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Add some extra BS lol
Jul 01, 2017, 09:57 AM
rc user
I have a couple Gools(funny name), they are fine. Run a 4200KV 3650 in my Slash, it rips pretty good. gets hot, but hasn't crapped out.
I got the same impression of the brand, they look like decent quality junk

the finned motors are actually 380 size with a 540 diameter. the cooling fins take up the space that would otherwise be used for the motor. makes less power, but may be a good thing depending on application.
Jul 01, 2017, 11:54 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Ahhhh.. good to know Dooley... that must be why they are only 820w whereas the 3650 (3000, 3100, 3900) are about 900watts..... from looking at the specs, I think the 2720 will be the best choice, it is supposedly 1050w... I reckon with one of the Chinese 120A fan cooled esc's .... it should take notice

With the 2720 it can (should be able to be) be geared up a bit (or a lot) without cooking anything..... I will only run 3S for now, the esc is rated for 2-3S lipo and 120A.... so it might be a good 100A esc with the fan.... I am pretty sure it has reverse/brakes.... here is the specs... (in the pic)

I am basing that on the fact the HSP XSTR pro top version is 3S with this motor and a 100A esc.... my Pro is mad as with a 3300kv motor, 45 or 60A esc and 2S.... so the top pro must be INSANE

They are only $AU25 bux (($US18) so I dont hold a great deal of hope in them But if they work, that will be entertaining.... if they go up in flames.... well, that will also be entertaining

The 60A esc's with the combos look good.... if these fail, I will just have to try the next ones up the chain of junkyness... until I get to hobbywing or something....

The Chinese are pretty good at cloning things now... these might be alright? I have some metal main gears and pinions in case they work REALLY well

What excites me if this is successful.... over here the top pro is about $AU290 ..... the brushless pro is about $AU240 and the brushed is about $AU140....

I can get a brushed $140 model, a set of ball bearings $22, the big daddy motor $40 and ESC $25 = $AU227 so I can build a real rip snorter as good as the top version, for less than the brushless pro
Jul 01, 2017, 04:56 PM
Except that the top version comes with all of the aluminium parts that the brushed doesn't. Whether you consider those parts as an upgrade or not is of course personal choice. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply