May 14, 2019, 08:49 AM
rc user
my brushed motor didn't last long with lipo power, came back smoking and died. i just upgraded to cheap brushless motor with fan.
speaking of fan, your ESC should have one too if you run hard or live anywhere even slightly warm outside.

these cars are a blast with brushless motor and lipo, parts are cheap and easy to find. only thing i don't like is the imprecise steering, but a better servo may help that.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2019, 05:17 PM
Cheers.

I plan to run the brushed until it dies and then get a brushless setup.

Ordering some ESC fans and dogbones today.

Will slowly get some of the upgrades suggested here as money allows.
May 14, 2019, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
my brushed motor didn't last long with lipo power, came back smoking and died. i just upgraded to cheap brushless motor with fan.
speaking of fan, your ESC should have one too if you run hard or live anywhere even slightly warm outside.

these cars are a blast with brushless motor and lipo, parts are cheap and easy to find. only thing i don't like is the imprecise steering, but a better servo may help that.
sounds like you need to change the gear ratio if you want to run brushed with lipo.
May 15, 2019, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmars73
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, But it seems to be the one with the most actual owner info about thses buggies.
I just grabbed a couple of the base model brushed buggies for my son and I , Based on the good price and large amount of cheap parts available.

I saw this thread while I was doing research and it has made me feel pretty happy with my purchase.

Happily for me they came with the better 40 amp ESC which I beleive is Lipo compatible..
Did you guys do anything other than change the plugs to run the Lipo batteries?

I have 4 5000MAH 2S Lipo coming to give us a bit more than the 10 minutes the store told me the standard ones give.

Have plans to add a few tasty upgrade like in this thread in the future.

Thanks.
There is a jumper on the ESC which you should switch before running LIPO battery, otherwise it can over-discharge your LIPO battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley

Currently what pinion size & what KV motor you use? I just changed from 26t pinion + 4000kv to 21t pinion + 3300kv (the former I put in my converted bronto to drift car).
May 15, 2019, 05:36 AM
rc user
good point, pinion was probably too big.
currently running 3000kv brushless, not sure on pinion, probably around 22T.
May 15, 2019, 06:18 AM
Cheers for the advice about the jumper, exactly what I needed.

I am going to get some steel motor and drive gears .

Also wondering what would be a good combo.

Standard on mine is 64/23.

I see a lot of sets with either 64/26 or 64/21 for sale on eBay.

Was leaning towards just getting the same as stock but steel.
May 15, 2019, 10:34 AM
If you're going to stay with brushed for a while, stick with 64/23. You also can get steel gears that come with a sets of pinion gears i.e. 21, 23, 26. Useful if you upgrade to brushless later.
May 17, 2019, 01:01 AM
Buggies arrived along with some cheap eBay 3800 mAh NiMH batteries that I ordered the same day.
Included batteries lasted about 5 minutes and the cheapies didn't even get the car going..

My 5000mah LIPo batteries arrived today along with a bag of 300 Dean's connectors I scored off eBay for $20 .

Tonight will be swapping the HXT plugs on the LIPos and the Tamiyas on the buggies over and will see how they go tomorrow.

Hopefully my spare dogbones and steel gears arrive in the next couple of weeks.

That should keep the Son and I entertained for a while.
Last edited by Anmars73; May 17, 2019 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Clarity
May 17, 2019, 03:17 AM
So my 300 dean's plugs are all female.
Teach me to impulse buy along with the cheap NiMH batteries.

Will This adaptor that I have be safe with LIPo batteries? Hxt to Tamiya.

Otherwise I will just grab two pair of Dean's from JayCar tomorrow.
May 20, 2019, 03:14 AM
Quote:

My 5000mah LIPo batteries arrived today along with a bag of 300 Dean's connectors I scored off eBay for $20 .

Tonight will be swapping the HXT plugs on the LIPos and the Tamiyas on the buggies over and will see how they go tomorrow.
So my ESC is not responding and my motor stinks to high heaven and has black dust coming out of it after a 10 minute run with the LiPo battery..

Have to say I am pretty dissapointed ,but I was half expecting it, even though plenty of people run this car with LiPos mine didn't survive.
Looking forward to the brushless upgrade that is now brought forward . Will run my boy's car on the NimH batteries just to be safe until I can afford an upgraded motor forhis as well.
May 20, 2019, 08:34 AM
rc user
yep, same experience here. move on to brushless
May 23, 2019, 05:45 PM
So have a couple of these coming .
They should liven things up a bit.

3100kv 60a combo

Also have a couple of sets of various steel gears coming .64+ 17,21,26 and 29 teeth

What should I run 64/21 or 64/26 ?

I also ordered some of the suspension links and arms ,as we are sure to have some more mishaps with more power.
Last edited by Anmars73; May 23, 2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
May 29, 2019, 06:44 AM
Subscribed.
May 30, 2019, 07:02 AM
Couple of mods I did while waiting for my brushless motors.

Some foam guards on bottom of the body to keep rocks and sticks out .

And out some dust filter screens in place of the back window to let some heat out.

Found the foam mod on an old Xstr thread on here,saw the screen mod somewhere on a Facebook RC page.

My metal gear sets arrived today but my motors didn't ,,sad face.
May 30, 2019, 08:48 AM
Quote:
So my ESC is not responding and my motor stinks to high heaven and has black dust coming out of it after a 10 minute run with the LiPo battery..

Have to say I am pretty dissapointed ,but I was half expecting it, even though plenty of people run this car with LiPos mine didn't survive.
Looking forward to the brushless upgrade that is now brought forward . Will run my boy's car on the NimH batteries just to be safe until I can afford an upgraded motor forhis as well.
Sorry to hear that. That is very unfortunate. I ran my brushed with lipo battery 7.4v 2200mah quite a while before upgrade to brushless. I still have the motor with me & still functioning. (the 550 motor is from brontosaurus.) Unfortunately QC issue is not unheard of with cheap RC.

Name: IMG_20190530_210958.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 694.9 KB
Description:

Anyway, you're going to love brushless on this buggy. It really feels alive with brushless. Regarding gears, try both 21 & 26, see which one you like. Previously I use 4000kv with 26t. It mostly for speed run on surfaced track. Now I have that system in my drift car. Currently I put 3300kv with 21t but I think 26t will give better acceleration.

Quick Reply