This thread is privately moderated by Spaaro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 04, 2017, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

The 'Un-Nintendo "Weee!!"-Glider Progress Report

My orbital sander crapped out while I was modifying a cabinet organizer for additional shelves.

I used the time in between repairing it to do further work on the glider plug I crafted from a Wii controller adaptor.

- Filling in the gaps & openings in this Adaptor Body to achieve the desired 'Pod'-shape.

- Used white styrofoam blocks carved roughly to fit the two, gaping openings in the underside.

- Sand to contour.

- Mix up a filler compound of Gorilla Glue, saw dust & diatomaceous earth...spackle it in.

- Wrap with cello-tape & compress until fully cured.

Repeat using Xylene-thinned G.G. and more DTE versus saw dust each time...sand...fill...repeat. I also applied a UV/'black light' grow light during my build to speed the cure of the adhesives I used; I found it effective upon CyA, polyurethane adhesive and epoxy, greatly improving the rapidity with which I could push ahead.

- Sanded the tail boom wood cladding into a more uniform/symmetrical & refined shape. Added a turtle deck receiving notch on the 'Forward' wing-saddle end.

- Reinforced the sidewalls w/additional wood braces...to prevent crushing/flex when subject to vacuum when bagged.

-Added hoops of steam-formed bamboo rod to support the top cover/turtledecking.

I fixed the orbital sander in time to use it to aid all this contouring and filling. I hope to complete building this plug and start 'fine' finish sanding/surfacing later today.

I am really happy with the way its turning out!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2017, 07:26 AM
Thread OP
I really like using this PU adhesive/Gorilla Glue + saw dust + DTE combination for spackle.

The only nagging precaution is for when I want to thin it with Xylene solvent--then it attacks foam andI need to use a PVA glue or Polycrylic treatment as a protective sealer first.
It sands great...cures quickly especially under UV light...I also experimented with mixing baking soda into the mix; so I could spray vinegar on it from an atomizer and try to encourage it to expand like 'Great Stuff' expanding foam when the hydrogen is released!

Still perfecting this gimmick...I know its gotta work somehow...

Quick Reply