Jun 30, 2017, 04:34 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
I would put it on the bottom of the motor mount. If it gets any airflow over it the better
I made out of a Coke plastic botle a deflector half barrel type aiming directly to the ESC and it will also send a large amount of air upwards to the motor, there is plenty of room for the air to go pass thru and out the back of the cowl.

I will fully charge the 6S battery and run the AMPS and WATTS test to see what comes out of a fully charged Battery with this setup.
Last edited by foncris; Jun 30, 2017 at 08:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2017, 05:59 PM
Pro Hoarder
That looks like it will work well
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 30, 2017, 06:25 PM
the noob one
Thread OP

Top Flite P-40E Warhawk .60 kit build Electric conversion

Just did the fully charged battery test wich is only true for 1 minute or so into the flight because the battery will drop from 4.2V per cell to 3.7 V per cell very fast and it will stay at 3.7v per cell thru out most of the mAh's of the battery.

Test 2
Battery at 25.20Volts

AMPS at full throttle: 80.8 A

WATTS at full throttle: 1886

So doing the math watts/lb s= 1880w/11.3lbs = 166:1 ratio of thrust.

This test came out over the spec of the motor but as I said before the 25.20Volts will drop very fast to stay in a constant 23Volts until almost runs out of juice and I only hit full throttle on my way up for a loop once or twice in a single flight.

PS. Be very careful if you are going to do this kind of test inside your room because something bad can occur. WARNING don't attempt to do this tests at home.

Bench test 2 TGY SK3 5055 430Kv, 6S, TGY 100A ESC, 16x10x3 prop (1 min 2 sec)
Last edited by foncris; Jun 30, 2017 at 06:30 PM.
Jul 01, 2017, 06:50 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Sorry
Jul 02, 2017, 04:09 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I run test all the time but ,,,,,,,, on a workbench in my garage with goggles on and free from anything that can get into a prop or come loose.
Use heavy duty Velcro straps on the plane in addition to not in replacement for your own human muscle. If possible its always better to have someone working the throttle while you secure the plane and can look at the wattmeter.
Its best to have a fellow modeler so they know the dangers of the stick.

Its looks like your proven system of 6 cells is a success I am still intrigued by the power because following the P40 from TF for some time I have seen everything from 90 thru 120 size motors used( even the small gas 20 size gas engines ) .
The two aspects I have found in most threads were surounding the wing needing washout to prevent the snappy behavior on takeoffs. The second was concerning the plane needing power on the higher end of the suggested power range. The biggest challenge with determining the power range is that many of the planes are built with different criteria and finished all up weight ranges from 11lbs to 13.5 lbs.
You can see the delema.
Last edited by Ldm; Jul 02, 2017 at 04:15 AM.
Jul 02, 2017, 04:29 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
We'll see what happens today at the field. The kit came with a Jig to make washout on the wings at the top wing covering steps, I also gave 1 milimiter of up on both ailerons to reinforce the washout effect just in case. I will use all the 600 feet runway at the field to gain max takeoff speed with no flaps. I will post the maiden video later today.
Jul 02, 2017, 04:44 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Best of success !!! I hope the weather cooperates and everything goes well !!!
Jul 02, 2017, 04:52 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Thanks, weather forecast looks very good today at Cape Coral, FL.
Jul 02, 2017, 06:39 AM
Good luck ����
Jul 02, 2017, 02:07 PM
the noob one
Thread OP

I'm back from the field with a successful maiden on the P-40E, I have to say that the take off was very difficult it kept going out of the runway on the first 3 attempts, what happened was that right wheel was rubbing against the wire strut and causing the plane to go right (didn't know this until I checked the plane after the maiden, I will add another plastic washer) after take off I let go of elevator sick and the plane just dove down , I got very nervous, after several clicks of up trim it was flying just great. I am waiting from Tru-Turn a spinner kit adapter to match the thread of the TGY motor shaft and for this reason I flew the plane today with no spinner, the plane was balanced with the spinner taped on so it was a little on the tail heavy side with out it and the landing gear up. On landing I did not use the flaps this time for fear of stalling so it landed a little hotter for what i am use to. I will fly it again and do a high pass at landing aproach speed with flaps to see how the P-40 reacts at slow landing speed and get a better feel of it.
Taxing it in is when I really noticed the plane wanting to go right all the time (wheel rubbing against strut wire )

Something happened with the video recording of the Xiaomi sport camera, i must of paused it without knowing it and the three horrible attempts of take off where not recorded. Sorry about that I was looking forward on sharing the whole maiden experience it was very funny the plane ended up with grass stains on the wings from the prop running into the grass the three times it ran out of the runway.

I have to say that the plane flys great, power is good with the set up, the planes silhouette against the sky is very nice and belive it or not I could hear the sound system when it passes in front of me.
Thank to all of you guys for your comments, suggestions and support with my P-40E build project.

Here is the maiden video:

Top Flite P 40E 60 Kit Maiden flight (7 min 5 sec)
Last edited by foncris; Jul 04, 2017 at 09:49 PM.
Jul 03, 2017, 06:40 PM
the noob one
Thread OP

I went to the field today again and flew the P-40E again for the second time, I had to go and retrieve it from the grass on the first attempt of takeoff, I'm still getting used to the rudder on this bird, I did the fly by at slow speed with flaps down and it was a floater no snapping or stalling issues what so ever with this bird. I landed it this time with flaps down and it was a better landing than my first one.

I have to say that the washout jig that comes with this kit for the wings really work good and makes this Top Flite warbird a sweet thing to fly and land.

here is the second flight video:
Top Flite P 40E 60 Kit second flight (7 min 59 sec)
Last edited by foncris; Jul 05, 2017 at 07:17 PM.
Jul 04, 2017, 09:43 PM
Well done.
Jul 04, 2017, 09:47 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANT ED
Well done.
Thank you.
Jul 05, 2017, 04:50 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Foncris,
Now that you have flown , tested and have three flights under your belt would you suggest keeping the power system the same ?
Thanks for the help
Lou
Jul 05, 2017, 08:26 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Foncris,
Now that you have flown, tested and have three flights under your belt would you suggest keeping the power system the same?
Thanks for the help
Lou
Lou, I not only have the 3 flights under my belt with the TF P-40E .60 kit, I also have a TF T-34 80in kit, a TF P-47 .60 arf and a TF Corsair .60 kit with the same setup, only the P-47 has a 16x8x3 prop instead of the 16x10x3 that all other three have.
If you want to fly scale at 60% throttle like I do with an 11LBS .60 or a 13LBS 80in? Then "YES". If you are looking for hi speed and unlimited vertical climb then you have to do some changes to the setup configuration.

I can say that all 4 SK3 5055 430Kv motors and all 4 TGY AE100A ESC, have proven to be reliable and of goods quality products.

Thanks for your comments.
Mauricio.
Last edited by foncris; Jul 05, 2017 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply