VISUO XS809HW WIFI FPV With Wide Angle HD Camera High Hold Mode Foldable Arm RC Quadc - RC Groups
Jun 03, 2017, 11:20 PM
GOT WINGS
Discussion

VISUO XS809HW WIFI FPV With Wide Angle HD Camera High Hold Mode Foldable Arm RC Quadc

This quadcopter was sent to me courtesy of Banggood. Banggood ordered this quad for me on May 18, 2017, it shipped on May 25, 2017. It was sent DHL expedited shipping, and it arrived on June 2,2017 with no damage to the quad or contents, but a slightly smashed box. 15 days from order to arrival, 8 days from shipped to received, very good transit time. It is well packaged and the box measures 427 x 285 x 83 millimeters. Pictures: Name: zv809bx.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 63.3 KB
Description: Name: zv809bx2.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 75.9 KB
Description: Name: zv809bxcnt.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 73.4 KB
Description: Name: zv809bxcnt2.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 67.1 KB
Description:

First Impression and Description

Oviously a clone of a much more expensive quad, here is a photoshopped side by side comparison:
Name: visuo 809 cln.png
Views: 144
Size: 307.6 KB
Description:

This quad is 262mm motor to motor diagonally and well built. The version I received comes with a 2.0mp wifi camera and altitude hold. There is a micro SD slot on the bottom in front of the on/off switch. It may also be flown with a cell phone after downloading an app, but comes with a transmitter. The body is black with all black props and some golden highlights on top. It is gear driven with the gears towards the top, all gears are black and appear to be plastic or nylon. It has a black on/off button on the bottom. The plastic is light and flexible, but the frame is reasonably stiff. It has two small red LEDsa headlights that look like eys. It has a green front LEDs and red LEDs in the back, all mounted at the end of the motor arms covered with white lenses. It came assembled and folded without props guards installed, you only have to remove and charge the quad battery, unfold the quad, and add 3 AA batteries to the transmitter. The battery is in a plastic case with a proprietary connector and slides into the battery bay at the bottom of the quad. Battery is rated as 1S, 900mah, with no C rating. The transmitter is medium size and has fairly short thumbpads on it. There are 4 spare props, a screwdriver, and a charge cord included in the box. The camera lens front middle is oriented horizontally and can be pointed down to about 30 degrees. There is an antenna visible sticking out from the bottom near the on/off switch. It has a manual that covers use of the included transmitter and QR codes for a cell phone app. Folded, the quad measures 180mm long x 133mm wide x 55mm tall.
Name: zv809qd.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 73.0 KB
Description: Name: zv809qdbttm.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 67.8 KB
Description: Name: zv809qdonoff.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 79.4 KB
Description: Name: zv809qdfld.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 90.7 KB
Description: Name: zv809qdfldbttm.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 93.3 KB
Description: Name: zv809pgrdslot.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 55.6 KB
Description: Name: zv809grdcap.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 74.3 KB
Description: Name: zv809prpcap.jpg
Views: 160
Size: 88.7 KB
Description:

Banggood's Description:
Brand name: VISUO
Item name: XS809HW WIFI FPV RC Quadcopter
Frequency: 2.4G
Channel: 4ch
Gyro: 6 axis
Product battery: 3.7V 900mAh (Included)
Charging time: About 60mins
Flying time: About 10mins
R/C distance: 80-100m
Color:White, Black
Camera: 2MP 720P wide angle, 0.3MP
Quad's size: 32.5x32.5x6cm (the arms not folded)
18x13x6cm(the arms folded)
Package size: 47x29.5x9cm
Flight weight: 158g

Features:
With foldable arm, small size, easy to carry.
With altitude hold mode function provides stable flight.
With wifi function can be connected APP, APK system to take pictures, video, real-time transmission through the phone camera image.
With 2.0MP 720P wide angle camera give wide range high denfinition pictures and video.
With 0.3MP camera capture pictures and record woderful moments.
With 3.7V 900mAh battery, the fly time up to 10 mins.
With Headless Mode,no need to adjust the position of aircraft before flying .
With One key to return function makes it easily to find the way home.
2.4GHz Technology Adopted for Anti-Interference.
4 Channel which can do ascend, descend, forward, backward, left sideward fly, right sideward fly and rolling 360°.
6-axis gyro which can have more stable flying and be easy to control.
It have 3-level flight speed to switch that can make more fun with the flying.
It can realize 3D tumbling 360°rolling in four directions with 4 LED lights.
The quadcopter fuselage is made of high strength and resistant engineering plastics,lightweight and durable resistance.

Function: Up/down, Forward/backward, Turn left/right, Sideward flight, LED Light, Headless Mode, One Key Automatic Return

Package Included:
1 x VISUO XS809HW RC Quadcopter
1 x 3.7V 900MAH Battery
1 x USB Cable
4 x Propeller
1 x User Manual
1 x Transmitter
1 x Screwdriver

Dimensions and Weights
Motor to Motor(MTM) Diagonally----262mm....................................MTM Side to Side-----185mm
MTM Front to Back-----185mm............................................. ..................Height/ground clearance-----55mm/15mm
Transmitter measures-----155 x 110 x50 mm ....................................Transmitter Sticks-----79mm CTC x 11mm tall
Props measure-----145.6 mm................................................ ....................Motors--0820 with 11 tooth pinions
Quadcopter body weight-----122.5 grams.......................................... All up weight-----162.8 grams
Landing gear-----built on........ ........................................... .........................Prop guards-----11.3 grams
Battery-----29.0 grams............................................. ... .................................Battery measures-----73.0 x 28.0 x 11.0 mm

Transmitter

This quad comes with a transmitter, but there is a QR code in the manual to download an app so it can be controlled with a cell phone or tablet. The transmitter takes 3 AA batteries. There is an on/off button on the face. There is a right side shoulder button for flips. The button on the left shoulder is for changing the three rates. Buttons for photos and video, headless mode. return, auto take off/land, emergency stop, and elevator/aileron trim. To start the props you can hold both sticks down and to the inside. Accelerometer calibration is done by holding both sticks down and to the outside. The sticks are actually very short thumbpads that I changed to longer ones. There is a cell phone holder that folds out in the middle of the front, it extends to hold up to a 9.3 centimeter cell phone. The transmitter is smaller than a Hubsan H107C+ tx, but larger than the small Eachine E012 micro transmitter. Also a picture of it next to a Syma X8HC transmitter, that I found will bind to the X21. The transmitter is smaller than a NiHui U807 tx.
Name: zv809txcp.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 81.2 KB
Description: Name: zv809txstks.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 72.1 KB
Description: Name: zv809txcmp.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 57.0 KB
Description:

First Flights

The first flight was outdoors with wind about 5mph, I had very little windbreak, and it was sprinkling rain very lightly. I did an accelerometer calibration on a level surface before flying, but because of the light winds I could not get a real sense of how stably it hovered. It seemed to want to drift backwards. It held it's altitude fairly well except when flying into the wind which pushed it downwards. It seems to have good power and speed when you give it throttle. The rudder increases in rate 2 and more in rate 3 as does the pitch. The left/right pitch does not seem very steep when doing funnels or banked turns. When trying the first flip, the wind caught it, and I ended up flying into a tree branch, which demonstrated that the props will shut down if obstructed. Funnels are not really tight. Control with the transmitter seemed fairly good. I timed this flight at about 8 minutes and the battery was discharged to 3.3 volts after forced landing.
The second flight was outside again with winds slightly lower than during the first flight. I had inserted an SD card into the card slot and tried to record two short videos. The red LEDs blink when video is recording, that happened, and you have to push the video button a second time to save the video. I did as instructed on both short videos, but when I put the SD card in the computer, I had nothing. This flight also lasted right at 8 minutes. The quad definitly had a bacward drift that I tried to trim out but wasn't able to eliminate completely. That would be my last flight for today as the battery took 2 hours and 45 minutes to recharge.
Another flight in less wind, I found the quad to be very stable and agile. Funnels were inside about a 5 foot diameter. Altitude hold continued to hold well. Flips are quick and it loses less than 3 feet in altitude during a flip. The quad needs to be stopped for flips and the flip button has to be held down when you move the stick for the flip.

Range

I will try to test the range later.

Battery and Charge cord

This battery is fitted into a plastic case that slides into the body of the quad. It has a proprietay connector and was fully pushed into the quad on arrival, but had a storage charge of 3.82 volts. It is rated at 900mah and has no C rating. The battery case measures 73.0 x 28.0 x 11.0 mm and weighs 29.0 grams. The charger is a USB style cable with a micro USB connector that plugs into a micro usb plug on the side of the battery. I tried the charge cord with the battery discharged to 3.3 volts after the first flight. I used a 2.1amp wall wort. The cord LED comes on when you connect the battery and goes off when charge is complete. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes for it to charge and the end voltage was 4.12 volts. I am thinking replacing the plugs on the battery and the quad and using a strap to mount the battery might be a good idea because it will not be easy to make a connector to charge the battery with a programable charger.
Name: zv809bat.jpg
Views: 207
Size: 64.1 KB
Description: Name: zv809bat2.jpg
Views: 208
Size: 89.6 KB
Description:

Quad comparison

This quad is larger than an NiHui U807.
Name: zv809qdcmp.jpg
Views: 142
Size: 78.0 KB
Description:

Conclusion
The quad looks good and is well put together. It is not really fast but has decent pitch and yaw, and is very stable. It has good LEDs. It can handle a bit of a breeze outdoors. The transmitter controls seem fairly precise. Altitude hold works well. The battery is proprietary and the charger is very slow. It would be difficult to make an adapter to charge with a prop charger. This quad would be good for beginners and intermediate flyers could have fun with it. I would rate this quad at a 5 out of 10 on my rating scale, where 1 is bad, and 10 is excellent.

Pros
Nicely built/good looking design.
Altitude hold works well.
Is very stable, could be a good camera quad.
8 minute flight time with stock battery.
Decent size, well labeled transmitter.
Has decent LEDs for night flying.
Props and quad should be durable.
Folds nicely for transport.

Cons
Proprietary battery
Over 2 hour charge time/slow charger.
Unusual battery connector.
LEDs not very bright for daytime orientation.
Backward drift problem.

Thanks to Banggood for providing this quad for review.
You can find it here for $52.99 with transmitter in USD shipped: https://www.banggood.com/VISUO-XS809...070760201208BW
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 05, 2017 at 08:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2017, 11:21 PM
GOT WINGS

Camera/Photos/Videos

The camera is rated at 2 megapixels and has a wifi video transmitter that will connect to your cellphone after you download an app. I have not downloaded the app at this time to try it. There is also a slot on the bottom of the quad to insert a micro SD card. I used a formatted class 10 32GB card that had been reformatted yesterday and followed instructions from the manual. I pushed the video button after the quad was airborne and the LEDs started flashing as they should. After flying around for a while, I pushed the video button again as instructed and the LEDs stopped flashing. I did this twice for two short videos, but when I put the SD card in my computer, there were no videos recorded on it. I have been using this SD card in other cameras recently and it worked well.
I will try again and download the app, but today it was raining for most of the day.

The camera lens is adjustable up and down, but there are really only two positions it is set to stay in. The first is horizontal, the second is angled about 30 degrees down. You can angle it up just a little, but you would have to fix it in that position somehow or it will move back to horizontal.
Name: zv809camangl.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 38.2 KB
Description: Name: zv809camangl2.jpg
Views: 97
Size: 40.1 KB
Description:

6/4/2017
I tried the video and tried to take photos this morning and I got nothing. I even downloaded the cell phone app, but I could not get it to work with the quad and the camera. So even though the quad LEDs blink like it is recording when the transmitter video button is pushed, it does not actually take a video. May have a defective camera or the camera is not connected properly.

6/4/2017
Short flight video:
Banggood's Visuo XS809HW (1 min 24 sec)

Another short flight video demonstrating rate changes, flips, and funnels:
Bangood's XS 809HW video #2 (2 min 33 sec)
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 05, 2017 at 01:45 AM.
Jun 03, 2017, 11:22 PM
GOT WINGS

Teardown and Modifications

I actually like this quad, but there are a couple of problems with it. First, the proprietary battery takes a long time to charge, and secondly, there is a backward drift. So I decided to take it apart and see if there was anything I could do to fix those problems.
There are 8 screws in the bottom to hold the main part of the body together, and there are 4 bolts where the arms pivot that have to be removed. In addition, there are 3 screws holding the motor/gear mounts together. All of the screws are the same except for the prop mount screws. You have to use a blade to remove the friction fitted chromed prop cap to get to the prop screw. Not really hard to take apart at all.
First I looked at where the antennas are mounted inside. The antenna that partially protrudes from the bottom of the quad is the camera wifi antenna. the receiver antenna is pointed straight forward from the fcb and surrounded by motor and LED wires, I left it there to do a range test, but it could be raised up or poked through the upper body. I thought the fcb might not be mounted level or correctly, but it appeared to be close to right.
Name: zv809wires.jpg
Views: 299
Size: 128.5 KB
Description: Name: zv809fcb2.jpg
Views: 304
Size: 161.5 KB
Description:
Name: zv809fcb.jpg
Views: 273
Size: 156.2 KB
Description:

I took a motor pod apart to see what size motors the quad has because it is almost impossible to tell with them mounted and enclosed. The motors are 8.5mm diameter and 20mm long, so classic 0820s. The only marking on the bottom of the motor is LX. Motor pinions have 11 teeth and appear to be 0.3 modulus. The large gear is pressure fitted on an aluminum shaft.
Name: zv809mtr.jpg
Views: 247
Size: 129.9 KB
Description: Name: zv809mtr2.jpg
Views: 226
Size: 85.9 KB
Description: Name: zv809mngr.jpg
Views: 213
Size: 104.0 KB
Description:

Then I checked batteries I have that would fit into the battery bay and decided to install an external red JST battery plug. To do that was fairly simple, I took a JST plug with a long wire, drilled two small holes for the wire to go through, and soldered the wires to the battery terminals on the fcb. Now I can still use the stock battery in it's case, but can also use several of my 1S batteries with JST plugs.
Name: zv809jstcnnctr.jpg
Views: 299
Size: 120.4 KB
Description:

After reassembling the quad, I did a hover test indoors to see if the backward drift was still there. I used a battery that I could push farther forward into the battery bay to see if I could move the center of gravity forward a little. It still drifted backwards, and took a lot of trim to get it to stop. Still might need to change the position/level of the fcb.
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 04, 2017 at 12:38 AM.
Jun 04, 2017, 11:29 AM
Would be interesting to know whether or not the props are balanced And whether balancing them would result in better video or not, as there was jello in Quadcopter101's onboard 809HW video.
Jun 04, 2017, 11:32 AM
GOT WINGS
Since I can't get the onboard camera to work, I can't test that out. I am downloading a short flight video right now, but my internet is so slow, takes almost an hour to download a 1 minute video.
Jun 04, 2017, 11:40 AM
Maybe use a smaller card?
Jun 04, 2017, 11:59 AM
GOT WINGS
I tried a 512mb SD brand card on the last try. Also tried the cell phone app, nothing from the camera.
Video is downloaded and will post the url in post #2.
Jun 06, 2017, 11:51 PM
GOT WINGS
I took the quad apart and checked all the wiring to the camera/VTX. I also turned the quad on so I could see if the camera board lit up like it should, and it did. The LEDs on the quad blink when the photo or video buttons are pushed on the transmitter, but there is no change in the LED on the camera board. I also got no picture on the cell phone app. So there is something wrong with the camera/vtx on my quad, but I could not find what it is.
I tried a few things to try to get rid of the backward drift on my XS809W but I had no luck with that either. Using all of the forward trim on the transmitter will not even stop the backward drift. So it doesn't hover well without forward elevator input. It still flies well and is fun to fly as long as you don't want it to hover. On the last test inside in calm conditions I noticed something that I haven't seen since the WLtoys V202 or V252. When trying to hover, you can actually see the quad do a little dip before it takes off backwards. I observed that several times, so it is very likely a control board or fimware glitch, not a mechanical one.
So I received a quad that has a couple of defects, that is, the camera doesn't work, and it has a defect in the electronics that causes it to fly backwards when trying to hover.
Jun 07, 2017, 04:14 AM
Pity you haven't been able to get the camera to work; kinda sounds like you got a bad one that managed to dodge QC
Jun 09, 2017, 02:51 PM
GOT WINGS
I stumbled upon an interesting thing today. Most of the drive train of the XS809HW is interchangeable with the drive train of the Ni Hui U807. The propellers are a little different, but you can interchange them. The motor wires on the 809 do not come with plugs on them, but are interchangeable if you add plugs. And the screw that holds the prop on the gear/shaft is a little shorter and larger diameter on the XS809HW than the one for the U807. The prop shaft also fits into bushings the same size. Prop shafts, main gears, pinions, motors, bushings, and props are all interchangeable.
Name: xs809xu807.jpg
Views: 200
Size: 214.1 KB
Description: Name: xs809xu8072.jpg
Views: 190
Size: 117.4 KB
Description:
Jun 16, 2017, 05:23 AM
Hey guys, I just want to share my review of the Visuo. Its not bad for under $50!

sirius: for the camera, actually for me the remote did not work at all. For some reason you cannot start the video or take photos from the buttons on the remote. It only worked from the Android app, pressing the photo and video buttons there result in the video actually being recorded on the SD card in the copter. IF, for some reason you don't have a card up there, or have an NTFS formatted one... guess how I know about this, video will get recorded on the tablet from the downlink. If you have a valid card in the copter, the tablet will not record the video, only the copter will! Weird... but at least that is how it works on my unit.

Visuo XS809HW WiFi 720p foldable copter - a 50 USD toy with some big boy capabilities!!! (8 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Arxangel; Jun 27, 2017 at 06:51 PM.
Jun 16, 2017, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel
Hey guys, I just want to share my review of the Visuo. Its not bad for under $50!

sirius: for the camera, actually for me the remote did not work at all. For some reason you cannot start the video or take photos from the buttons on the remote. It only worked from the Android app, pressing the photo and video buttons there result in the video actually being recorded on the SD card in the copter. IF, for some reason you don't have a card up there, or have an NTFS formatted one... guess how I know about this, video will get recorded on the tablet from the downlink. If you have a valid card in the copter, the tablet will not record the video, only the copter will! Weird... but at least that is how it works on my unit.

https://youtu.be/UOz_OqS5XaY
Just ordered one ... thanks to you

Last edited by Pixelpeter; Jun 16, 2017 at 06:47 AM.
Jun 17, 2017, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
Since I can't get the onboard camera to work, I can't test that out. I am downloading a short flight video right now, but my internet is so slow, takes almost an hour to download a 1 minute video.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=49
Jun 18, 2017, 09:49 AM
New Tomtop coupon: TTRM7953 reducing price to $37.99
Jun 18, 2017, 10:32 AM
GOT WINGS
I could not get the camera to work at all. No connection with the wifi app, no picture, no video, nothing.