Jun 02, 2017, 12:53 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP
Build Log

R/C 3 sq. meter Paramotor wing - The Vindaloo: plans and tutorials

Exciting news!

My new wing, the Vindaloo has taken to the air and is a great scale flier! As a follow-up to my LuteFisk wing build, we are at it again - but this time bigger.

As I start this thread I have attached the plans sheets in ARCH-D size. If you need these tiled, you can tile them as needed from your PDF reader application. Otherwise, they are plotter-friendly or ready for an office printing store to run black and white prints. I have added a 100mm scale bar on the first sheet to assist with making sure you have the correct scale.

I will also be uploading the SingleSkin software files for this wing along with a few helpful templates and other documentation. Since there are some changes in construction from the LuteFisk, there will be at least a few construction videos to elucidate some of the techniques used on this model.

Good luck, and thanks for following along!

R/C Paramotor - The Vindaloo: Maiden Flights! (6 min 31 sec)

UPDATE: 6/2/17 - I used the SingleSkin software available here : https://sourceforge.net/p/singleskin/wiki/Home/

I have also attached the Vindaloo design file and airfoil.dat file in .zip format. You will need to overwrite the default airfoil.dat and replace it with the one in the archive.
Last edited by ksmason42; Jun 02, 2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added Content
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2017, 05:24 PM
Excellent, just curious, why call it "Vindaloo" ?
Jun 04, 2017, 09:16 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP
only 'cause I LOVE Vindaloo!! Ha, plus it's just something fun - I don't want to get too serious with all of this.
Jun 04, 2017, 09:17 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP
Hey, all!

We are celebrating 100 subscribers on YouTube! Visit my blog to enter to win a new FrSky receiver!

http://adventurerc.blogspot.com/p/va...28853this.html

R/C Air Adventures - 100 Subscriber Giveaway! (2 min 47 sec)
Jul 23, 2017, 03:43 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP
I've been flying the heck out of this design, and love it!

In fact, I took it for a spin without the trike recently and also finished painting the pilot - enjoy!
Flying R/C Paramotors - the Vindaloo, cage only (3 min 23 sec)
Aug 23, 2017, 01:33 PM
So with the LuteFisk, you used laminator sheets for the ribs. But you also built a jig to heat and bend 3mm ABS filament. Which did you settle on for Vindaloo? And if you used filament rods... how does that get stitched in place?
Aug 23, 2017, 01:56 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP
For the smaller wing ( LuteFisk), I use the laminator sheets. for the Vindaloo, I use the plastic rods just like the big boys. The plastic rods slip into pockets that are sewn into the ribs. I stitch them so that the rods are replaceable without removing stitches.

I guess it's time to start a video construction video series for the Vindaloo!
Aug 23, 2017, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmason42
For the smaller wing ( LuteFisk), I use the laminator sheets. for the Vindaloo, I use the plastic rods just like the big boys. The plastic rods slip into pockets that are sewn into the ribs. I stitch them so that the rods are replaceable without removing stitches.

I guess it's time to start a video construction video series for the Vindaloo!
Removable rods, very good. I was wondering what one would do the day the plastic rods get stepped on or snapped in a bad crash.

Your LuteFisk videos are so thorough, for Vindaloo you could probably just refer to that and only do new videos for things that are different. I dunno, just a thought.
Sep 14, 2017, 12:41 PM

Construction videos for Vindaloo?

Hello all,

James, your work is unbelievable. You have great toys too with laser cutters and plotters and what all.......

I am just wondering when you might get back around to doing a construction video series on the Vindaloo wing. I guess it is pretty much like the Lutefisk but some of the details like the pockets for the leading edge supports are not obvious.

These wings and trikes are truly inspiring. I know how to sew; now I need to take a welding class.

Thanks

Ken
Sep 16, 2017, 05:00 PM

An alternate approach to rib forming

I have been thinking about how I could bend the ribs into the right shapes since I don't have a cool CNC machine.

It occurred to me, drawing on my boat building background, that you can mark the curves for the rigs out on a board and then outline the desired shapes with thin wire nails to press against as you heat the rib material.

This works just like the nicely routed out grooves. You only need enough nails to hold the rib into the desired shape. That means closely spaced around the sharp bend but wide spaced once you get to the flat areas. The nails only need to be placed on one side of the rib, the side you will be pressing against to produce the curve.

I am working through the practical issues of a build to make sure it will be practical for me to start given the technology I have available to me.

Right now I am looking for the PC-31 ripstop polyester fabric. My next challenge is resolving how I could approach building the trike cart since I don't know how to weld.

Ken
Sep 16, 2017, 09:21 PM
R/C Air Adventures
Thread OP
Ken - I think that idea for bending the ribs should be fine. The PC-31 is available from Kites and Fun Things in Detroit - they are the US importer of the fabric.

And yes, I have been remiss in starting a build series for this wing - there have been so many people bringing me projects locally, but I am starting to get some time back.

I will try to start those very soon - thank you all for the comments!

-James
Feb 28, 2018, 03:48 PM

Next Vindaloo Wing in Progress

Hi Everybody,

First I want to Thank James for all his work and passion in designing the Lutefisk and the Vindaloo Wings. Really Great Job, but second I want to thank for sharing this plans for free. Really nice.

I´ve followed this Threads for some time now but then decided to build one of this things. So I´ve ordered some Porcher Skytex fabric (27g /m²) and started cutting the parts.

Today I´ve had some Time at my sewing machine and this is the result so far. Lots of sewing to do

Greetings from Germany and all the best to James.

Markus
Last edited by Makkes; Feb 28, 2018 at 03:59 PM.
Mar 01, 2018, 08:08 AM
Markus,

Where did you get the fabric from?

Jeff
Mar 01, 2018, 01:55 PM
Hi Jeff,
I´ve got the fabric from
https://www.opale-paramodels.com

I´ve made a request using the chat function on the website and so got to know, that they have some less B-stock material .

Go on the Webside and ask for the b-stock. My experience is a very good support ;-)
Greetings
Markus
Mar 01, 2018, 01:58 PM
Hi Jeff,
I´ve ordered the material from https://www.opale-paramodels.com

They have a little B-stock material there to sell.

Ask on the chat function on the site and you will get really good support ;-)

Greetings from Germany

Markus

Quick Reply