This thread is privately moderated by Beaver_XT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 02, 2017, 10:59 AM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
Build Log

My diary of buying 2nd hand Tamiya DT-02 part1: Inspection & cleaning

Recently I bought a used Tamiya DT 02, a cheap one no less. Actually it was so cheap that too good to be true.
After I got it, I instantly fell I love with it for simplicity and handling. However the car was dirty so I decided to rebuild it and document what I do.
I also planned a video series for this, but I don't have time to edit it right now.

Disclaimer: I am not a hardcore RC person with hi-end tools and equipments. What I try to show here is that this hobby doesn't need to be expensive. You can have fun with just regular stuffs you can easily find in supermarket and electrical store.

Part 1: Inspection & cleaning
At first I noticed that this car has strong smell of electrical fire, sticky left front wheel and it is very dirty with a lot of sand stuck in places.
To clean it first I have to dissemble it. The process is just the reverse of the manual which I will not cover it here.
To clean the dirt off plastic parts, nothing is easier than brush and dish washer.

For the stickers and glue, I simply spray WD40 on them and rub them off.

Next, the screws, First I use degreaser to clean off dirt. Then dip them in WD40, shake them and wipe them off with tissue.
Ball bearings get the same treatment as the screws but after cleaning the dirt off I dip them in contact cleaner with oil and shake them regularly to clean the left over dirt off. I find that this spray makes bearing run smoother than only WD40.
After thoroughly cleaning it, this is the list of the problems I found after close inspection.
- Fire damage on the chassis (not fixing this)
- Cracked chassis (reinforce)
- Bent shaft
- sloppy servo saver (super glue padding)
- Shock seat pads (fabrication)
Problem fixed by cleaning.
- sticky wheel, from dirty bearings.

Next time I'll show you how to fix the cracked chassis easily and cheaply.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2017, 02:09 PM
nice job a shame to throw something so retro away
like what your doing

Quick Reply