to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2017, 07:38 AM
You are going to have that plane finished in no time at all.
Jun 05, 2017, 04:55 AM
It seems Carlos you and me are on the same wavelength when it comes planes (gliders ) ....I have the very same kit in my stash ...and have nearly forgotten I have this kit .

Looks like you done all the thinking for this build a long time ago .....love seeing you using a straight edge for the whole wing construction process .
I take it you are installing a electric motor .....any idea what weight you are aiming for, and which motor you'll be using ?
In post #1 pic 3 ....are you bending the balsa wood only and then glue the ply reinforcing , or is the plywood already glued ?
Will be following your build closely from now .
Jun 05, 2017, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwilly
It seems Carlos you and me are on the same wavelength when it comes planes (gliders ) ....I have the very same kit in my stash ...and have nearly forgotten I have this kit .

Looks like you done all the thinking for this build a long time ago .....love seeing you using a straight edge for the whole wing construction process .
I take it you are installing a electric motor .....any idea what weight you are aiming for, and which motor you'll be using ?
In post #1 pic 3 ....are you bending the balsa wood only and then glue the ply reinforcing , or is the plywood already glued ?
Will be following your build closely from now .
HI Teamwilly,
I always use the straight edge and asembly the wing center panels at the same time.
About the pic 3, in the beginning I try to get a "pre-shape" so I bended balsa only for fuselage sides. Later when epoxy the 1/64" plywood reinforcement to fuse sides, I put again the sides on the "tool" until epoxy cure.
For engine I'm thinking on NTM Prop Drive 35 30 1100Kv, from Hobbyking, or 3536 of 910 Kv.
I'll be waiting for your comets.
Regards, Carlos
Jun 05, 2017, 12:58 PM
Carlos
Thanks for the clarification on the fuse side bending and laminating ...great job you are doing .
I had a look at the two motors you listed ....these would do I think , 350 -380 Watts , but the weight of these motors I'm not comfortable with. Both are listed at 88 grams , yet one has a longer can and also has a larger diameter shaft .....bit funny that ! I would go for lower Kv motor , so the 910Kv option . I will dig my kit out tomorrow and look at the plans .

For mine I will go with the Glider drive motor from HK https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...3-5-960kv.html
I'm using this motor in my Oly IISX and I'm more than happy with it . The extra weight of the motor I can compensate with a smaller Lipo . My flying is more in windy conditions rather than calm conditions and the weight comes in handy . Also I'm more inclined to punch my gliders at 75-80 degrees up to where I like to be and then cut power and do my thing until I get back down to 1 meter above ground .
Will add a bit more tomorrow when I study my plans . I do have a NTM 35 1100 at the workshop ...I once used this on a Cessna 182 foamy plane and it was not much chop . Again I will find out the specs of that motor and will weigh it to validate HK's specs .
Jun 08, 2017, 10:39 AM
Hi Carlos

Ok ...the NTM motor that I have looks to be the old version not the new version listed on HK web pages now . I'm still confused about the weight listed on the overview and then on the specs page the weight differs again . In short ....I can not make a comment re the performance of these new motors . The reviews page shows satisfaction of performance by owners of these motors .
Looking at my plans ....the fuse seems wide and also the nose is not very long at all (comparing it to my OlyIISX . The plans show standard servos (going by the size) , these could be exchanged to more modern ones and lighter as well and the drawing shows a weight /lead box in the nose , a electric motor would probably equal that weight or even less .
How easy was it to shape the two halfs of the stabiliser after removing the S1 S2 S3 supports ?

In post #3 the last pic (wing support preparation ) is a bit confusing , I cannot make out if you have a bit of flat ply stock up against the brass tube and protruding outside of the fuse , or is this a bit of plywood lying underneath the fuse (it does cast a shadow though)....got me stumped .
Where do you invisage placing the lipo...I take it you be using 4S lipo ?

Anyway , you are doing a remarkable good job .

In these pics I placed the Gliderdrive motor over the plans .....it may only just fit , or I have to shorten the nose 10mm to accommodate the motor .
Jun 08, 2017, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwilly
Hi Carlos

Ok ...the NTM motor that I have looks to be the old version not the new version listed on HK web pages now . I'm still confused about the weight listed on the overview and then on the specs page the weight differs again . In short ....I can not make a comment re the performance of these new motors . The reviews page shows satisfaction of performance by owners of these motors .
Looking at my plans ....the fuse seems wide and also the nose is not very long at all (comparing it to my OlyIISX . The plans show standard servos (going by the size) , these could be exchanged to more modern ones and lighter as well and the drawing shows a weight /lead box in the nose , a electric motor would probably equal that weight or even less .
How easy was it to shape the two halfs of the stabiliser after removing the S1 S2 S3 supports ?

In post #3 the last pic (wing support preparation ) is a bit confusing , I cannot make out if you have a bit of flat ply stock up against the brass tube and protruding outside of the fuse , or is this a bit of plywood lying underneath the fuse (it does cast a shadow though)....got me stumped .
Where do you invisage placing the lipo...I take it you be using 4S lipo ?

Anyway , you are doing a remarkable good job .

In these pics I placed the Gliderdrive motor over the plans .....it may only just fit , or I have to shorten the nose 10mm to accommodate the motor .
Hi Teamwilly, I took some pics that can help you to clarify NTM engines weight.
About to get the stabilizer shape, the ribs support are easy to remove and sand, stabilizer looks weak, but it is strong.
For the last pic, check in my other build log for Argentine Sky bench OLY II SX ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ench-OLY-II-SX ) there, in report #5, you will see what I will do.
I'll use 2200 3S lipo to fly.
Thanks for your words about my job.
Jun 09, 2017, 11:08 AM
Carlos,

Have a look at this thread for ideas that allow you to set your motor back in the fuselage and only have the prop shaft sticking out at the front. No need for out of place spinners.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post11824530

Check out posts #56, #57 and #129.

Kenneth
Jun 10, 2017, 07:39 AM
FYI:

Hacker sells a sailplane adapter for two of their motors which extends the motor shaft. - see attached.

I have also seen these motors for sale with the adapter already mounted.

See attached brochure and web site.

Obviously, you would need to buy a new motor to go this way.

https://hackermotorusa.com/product-c...rs/outrunners/

Mike
Jun 11, 2017, 02:26 AM
Or these:

http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&...u_eshop_id=778
Jun 11, 2017, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Paine
Carlos,

Have a look at this thread for ideas that allow you to set your motor back in the fuselage and only have the prop shaft sticking out at the front. No need for out of place spinners.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post11824530

Check out posts #56, #57 and #129.
Kenneth
Thanks Kenneth, very interesting information.
Aug 02, 2017, 09:30 AM
G'day Carlos
Fantastic build there , love your spoilers and can you give us a better understanding of the spoiler hinge you installed . Even with magnification of the picture I can not clearly make out of how you fixed the spoiler flap .
Well done on the canopy ...very slick shape you achieved .

Quick Reply