Review of fishpepper FC and 4in1 ESC from boldclash - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by nigelsheffield, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 02, 2017, 04:24 AM
Discussion

Review of fishpepper FC and 4in1 ESC from boldclash

AT LAST A FISHLEPPER FC AND 4IN1 ESC THAT WORKS PROPERLY AND GIVES CREDIT FOR HIS GREAT WORK!

Name: IMG_20170602_100449.JPG
Views: 89
Size: 407.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170602_101133.jpg
Views: 98
Size: 1.22 MB
Description:

Just recieved this great little FC and ESC for a micro brsuhless build I am planning and thought I would share it and give a quick review.

https://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-...dshot-600.html

BoldClash Fish01 Mini SUBS F3 and 4-in-1 1S 4A Blheli_S ESC Flight Controller Tower with built-in SBUS 8CH Receiver for Frsky X9D X7 Dshot 600

For those who don't know it is a very light flight controller and 4in1 ESC with dshot 600 based on Simon fishpepper design and boldclash have given credit to him unlike other manufacturers who took his design and renamed it their own.
I have already got the racerstar 4in1 ESC which is same size but it has a problem with not working on a fully charged lipo so I had to wait maybe 4 minutes for battery to drain via the camera vtx before I could fly on each battery.
So my first test after binding to my taranis ( which was easy, just press bind button and power up with taranis in bind mode d8) was to put a fully charged battery in and this boldclash version worked right away.
So right there are 2 good reasons to buy this one over the racerstar version.

I then did a range test and that was as expected , I tested with taranis is range check mode and was happy with the result, I think the 200m range stated with be about right and plenty enough for the tiny build this will be used for.
Weight is something like 4.2 to 5 grams but that will depend on how short wires are kept and plugs used I guess, I wired up a motor before weighing so had to improvise to get weight measurement but it won't be far off and no more than 5g with wires as supplied.

The quality of the soldering etc seems very good, I have included some high Res pictures so you can see for yourself and get an idea of the size of this tiny package.

So far then my findings are.

Pros
Credits given to fishpepper
Uses updated regulator so arms on fully charged battery
Well made
Extremely small and light (16mm mounting holes on 20mm pcb)

Cons
Single cell operation only for esc( not suitable for 2 or 3s lipo but high kv motors are available which work with 1s ) but FC is supposed to work ok on more cells , defo 2 and maybe 3..

So I think this is a great combo and the FC and 4in1 ESC are also available individually
https://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-...multishot.html
https://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-...ky-x9d-x7.html
I definitely recommend buying this version, also boldclash have a good choice of motors and a frame with props etc to suit this combo.https://www.boldclash.com/category/fpv-racer/

Will update with more info when I start using it in a build and also as always I will revisit after some time to give long term impressions.

Name: IMG_20170602_100727.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 795.1 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20170602_100829.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 707.6 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20170602_100923.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 1.01 MB
Description: note that the nuts under ESC are touching fets , I took these out and used rubber spacers I made from wire insulation.

Name: IMG_20170602_101011.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 686.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20170602_101243.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 865.3 KB
Description:

Motors start up and spin smoothly and react to sticks and movement of FC so I will be starting the build once a few more parts arrive.

telemetry
This FC and ESC has telemtry and gives the following information
Voltage (cels or vfas same thing)
Current
Fuel ( is displayed as percentage used but you can edit this sensor in taranis and change it to mah which makes more sense )
Acc X,y,z
Rssi ( signal level )
Rpm

To find them on the taranis you need to do the following
Arm the quad by pushing rudder stick to the right ( if you don't do this no sensors will be discovered )
Go to telemtry page and scroll down to "discover new sensors" and enable it.
New sensors will appear.
Now click "stop discovery"
You can now add these sensors to your custom telemtry pages if you want to and use them to set alarms off using logical switches and special functions.

Battery is very important on this FC, if a weak one is used you get telemtry lost a lot and control gets jerky , once I used this this battery http://www.boldclash.com/p/boldclash...attery-37.html it worked much better so choose either this battery or a similar high c rated 350mah or whatever suits your build, just make sure it is able to produce the power needed easily without dropping it's voltage too much.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Jul 09, 2017 at 06:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2017, 07:12 AM
Test Pilot
Great news, thanks for the review Nigel.

I'm pleased that I took someone else's advice who mentioned that boldclash are reputable so I ordered my fishpepper FC from there.
Now I'm just waiting for everything to arrive, including the 2S fishpepper esc from furiousfpv!
Jun 02, 2017, 07:42 AM
Yes the 2s version will be good too!
1s is nice and convenient and cheap on batteries but 2s will be much easier to get even higher power setups!
Latest blog entry: Introducing puppy to my whoop.
Jun 09, 2017, 05:15 PM
Just one thing to watch out for , nuts under ESC are touching fets I replaced these with spacers I made from wire insulation.
First post updated.
This may be fixed in a later version so check yours just in case before tightening those nuts up!
Jun 24, 2017, 02:24 AM
I updated the first post with info about telemtry and how to get it working on the taranis.
I found the fuel sensor to be quite useful.
Jun 24, 2017, 03:45 AM
Test Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
I updated the first post with info about telemtry and how to get it working on the taranis.
I found the fuel sensor to be quite useful.
If you want to change the fuel from % to mAh you can do it by going to the sensor and hitting edit, then changing it in the page that opens.

Fuel is measured by measuring the current and multiplying it by time. That % that it starts as is a % out of 100, and would need to have some extra setup if you were actually using it as % so you are probably just lucky that it's close. You can set that factor but I normally user mAh because you can confirm that 1:1 against the battery charger.

I wasn't entirely sure if the tinyfish FC had a current sensor though it certainly looked like it does, this is great news! It means that I'll obviously wire to the FC first from the battery plug, then the ESC from the outputs on the FC.

Thanks for adding the extra information, I'll be examining your pics to confirm my suspicions.

EDIT: The reason I wasn't 100% sure that the FC could monitor current directly was the wording in the manual and the lack of confirmation that the resistor between V+in and V+out was indeed a shunt for current measurements, after your confirmation and re-reading the manual I'm even happier with my purchase!
Last edited by teracis; Jun 24, 2017 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Added more information
Jun 24, 2017, 06:13 AM
Thanks, I just edited the post , makes more sense in mah ..

And I added that the FC can run ok on 2s lipo and maybe even 3 from information I've been given, makes sense because the FC has a regulator..but of course this ESC won't run on more than 1s.

I have got a quad set up with this ESC and a h101 silverised , using oneshot 125 with signal taken after the fets and it is flying fine, first I tried using signal before the fets and used d shot but due to the 2.8v regulator on the h101 it doesn't work until battery is at 3.85v and d shot wont pass though the fets,
But oneshot after fets works on fully charged battery so it's a good option for those silverised FC quads too, it has the added advantage that a weak battery can be used without causing the FC to brown out or reset until battery goes under 2.8v.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Jun 24, 2017 at 06:43 AM.
Jun 24, 2017, 06:55 AM
Test Pilot
Quote:
Thanks, I just edited the post , makes more sense in mah ..

And I added that the FC can run ok on 2s lipo and maybe even 3 from information I've been given, makes sense because the FC has a regulator..but of course this ESC won't run on more than 1s.

I have got a quad set up with this ESC and a h101 silverised , using oneshot 125 with signal taken after the fets and it is flying fine, first I tried using signal before the fets and used d shot but due to the 2.8v regulator on the h101 it doesn't work until battery is at 3.85v and d shot wont pass though the fets,
But oneshot after fets works on fully charged battery so it's a good option for those silverised FC quads too, it has the added advantage that a weak battery can be used without causing the FC to brown out or reset until battery goes under 2.8v.
I've been watching your updates in the other thread as well.

The fishpepper FC is rated at 3S from what the site says, and the included information from BoldClash. I've got a couple of the 2s fishpepper ESC's on the way so I'm sure it will get a work out!
Jul 09, 2017, 06:33 AM
This battery is my recommended one to use on a 1s build, it is 350mah and just be high c rated and the quad flies very well for 5:30 minutes, ://www.boldclash.com/p/boldclash_bwhoop_b05_04_battery-37.html
Using a weaker battery is pointless with this FC and ESC combo one one cell lipo because when voltage drops too low you get lot of telemtry lost telemetry recovered messages and control get jerky which happen when the battery gets low.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Jul 10, 2017 at 07:37 AM.
Jul 09, 2017, 06:37 AM
Test Pilot
Here's a couple of video's of the TinyFish FC and FishPepper 2 ESC at work.
Completely un-tuned I haven't even checked a blackbox log yet but it flies like a dream!

Zappy1616Yaw (0 min 36 sec)

Zappy2min (2 min 7 sec)
Jul 09, 2017, 09:05 AM
Wow thats fast , I just tested the 1s again on these boldclash batteries and they flew fast for 5:30 minutes without a problem, defo needs a good battery.
Will do a video shortly if the wife will hold the camera!
Jul 09, 2017, 12:01 PM
Mine on 1s
9 July 2017 (2 min 0 sec)

It's not bad, pretty fast!

The camera man was my father in law, he struggled to keep up with the quad but did an ok job.
Commentary by him , my daughter and my dog lol.
Thought I'd leave it in rather than put music on, one of my pet hates is music on YouTube video lol...
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Jul 09, 2017 at 12:22 PM.
Jan 15, 2018, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Battery is very important on this FC, if a weak one is used you get telemtry lost a lot and control gets jerky , once I used this this battery http://www.boldclash.com/p/boldclash...attery-37.html it worked much better so choose either this battery or a similar high c rated 350mah or whatever suits your build, just make sure it is able to produce the power needed easily without dropping it's voltage too much.
I found this to be particularly interesting. I tried to use my whoop at a race for the first time and had to take myself out of the race as I was running into what felt like RSSI or signal drop issues. The quad would get super unresponsive and glitchy. I'm wondering if maybe it wasn't related to my motors pulling too may amps and my battery couldn't keep the FC powered appropriately.

I'm using this with 0705 Brushless motors and I wonder if they're pulling too many amps for the batteries & FC. Full build: https://rotorbuilds.com/build/9202
Jan 15, 2018, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreysnyder04
I found this to be particularly interesting. I tried to use my whoop at a race for the first time and had to take myself out of the race as I was running into what felt like RSSI or signal drop issues. The quad would get super unresponsive and glitchy. I'm wondering if maybe it wasn't related to my motors pulling too may amps and my battery couldn't keep the FC powered appropriately.

I'm using this with 0705 Brushless motors and I wonder if they're pulling too many amps for the batteries & FC. Full build: https://rotorbuilds.com/build/9202
The fishpepper FC stack is used here and there is a problem with regulator on the FC , basically it can be cured by fitting a step up 5v reg between the ESC and FC so that the FC gets 5v and ESC gets normal battery voltage.
Jan 16, 2018, 10:46 AM
Quote:
The fishpepper FC stack is used here and there is a problem with regulator on the FC , basically it can be cured by fitting a step up 5v reg between the ESC and FC so that the FC gets 5v and ESC gets normal battery voltage.
Do you have one that you recommend for my setup? I imagine you need something very small and very light as this stack is chosen for those 2 purposes and most builds won't have much more room for more components.

Quick Reply