Looking for a cheap capable slope wing? - RC Groups
Jun 01, 2017, 04:55 PM
flyin' fool
Discussion

Looking for a cheap capable slope wing?

Check out the Rainbow 800mm wing from BangGood. At 6 ounces mine has good energy retention and excels at aerobatics.

https://www.banggood.com/DW-HOBBY-Ra...l?rmmds=search
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2017, 12:15 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Check out the Rainbow 800mm wing from BangGood. At 6 ounces mine has good energy retention and excels at aerobatics.

https://www.banggood.com/DW-HOBBY-Ra...l?rmmds=search
Hi there Gold man. I have bookmarked the banggood page and it is on special at the moment too. I will get one down the track a bit, because it seems to have a keel underneath that you can grip with your fingers whilst launching. I have a mate with a stock standard Zagi and I hate launching it for him because it doesn't feel right throwing it from the middle of the leading edge. I wonder if we can launch them like a discus launch glider (peg in wingtip).

Cheers, Phil
Last edited by farmerjack61; Jun 02, 2017 at 12:19 AM. Reason: add picture
Jun 02, 2017, 03:26 AM
flyin' fool
Note in the picture of the bottom I have melted in two launch finger holes with a big washer and a 30W solder iron. That flimsy ply spine/skid on the bottom is useless.

You could SAL a slope wing if it has the proper vert. stab, like the Alula, with as much area above as below the wing center line.

I added a scrap of EPP to the TE where the motor was, a cover for the electronics bits, weed whacker/brush cutter line to the leading edge and nylon strapping tape as a bottom skid. Oh, and push rods perpendicular to the hinge line
Jun 02, 2017, 07:53 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Note in the picture of the bottom I have melted in two launch finger holes with a big washer and a 30W solder iron. That flimsy ply spine/skid on the bottom is useless.

You could SAL a slope wing if it has the proper vert. stab, like the Alula, with as much area above as below the wing center line.

I added a scrap of EPP to the TE where the motor was, a cover for the electronics bits, weed whacker/brush cutter line to the leading edge and nylon strapping tape as a bottom skid. Oh, and push rods perpendicular to the hinge line
Thats the type of innovative engineering I love.

Cheers.
Jun 11, 2017, 06:46 PM
SloMo_FPV
What are you using for a battery setup? Where do you have the battery located fore/aft? And where does it balance and is that the correct position for the cg??
Jun 11, 2017, 10:22 PM
Phil or TazziE

DW Hobby have a new 1m Version

Check it out at this link if it works;

https://www.banggood.com/DW-HOBBY-Up...l?rmmds=search

It should be a little easier to see and has a nice paint job too.
Jun 12, 2017, 01:50 AM
flyin' fool
A 220 mAh 2/3 sub C 4 cells NiMh battery and balanced 1/8" in front of the back spar with about 3/16 reflex in the elevens.
Jun 12, 2017, 01:52 AM
flyin' fool
Got the 1000 as a tester from BG. Gonna slope it too. Slooowly getting it ready.
Jun 12, 2017, 09:28 AM
Phil or TazziE

Stick with it.

Quote:
Got the 1000 as a tester from BG. Gonna slope it too. Slooowly getting it ready.
I'ts a methodical process, and it takes longer than many people think. For example, my Wildthing wing was balanced, or so I thought, I have flown it for about eighteen months I would say, but gave it a 'once over' last week and had to do it all again. The balance point had moved, but how?

The wildthing has a pretty soft nose and my mates have managed to compress it somewhat by doing stupid things like crashing it again and again. They dont really have the skills or the patience & dicipline to learn or perhaps they are just vandals... However the battery now sits a little further back and I had to add a little weight to the nose.

When I first put it together I used the throws suggested in the build guide. But they too had changed. I had made hasty changes to the throws on the ailivators elevons at the hillside and then forgot about what I had done. So, I fixed that up too. It now flies like an eagle.

If someone had of told me it was not looking right or that it was poorly set up I would have laughed at them - but that's just my ego working against me.

By the way, I'm a fan of some of the old black and white movies, especially the cowboy movies where all the bad guys go down. There have been a few hum-dingers over the years about prospectors that get the fever. Are you one of those blokes that goes bush looking for gold? Do you go mad when you find it? Trying to keep it all hush hush, so the tax-man cant find you? If so, I dip my hat to you.

I hope to catch up soon, cheers Phil.
Jun 12, 2017, 09:54 AM
Phil or TazziE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolio
What are you using for a battery setup? Where do you have the battery located fore/aft? And where does it balance and is that the correct position for the cg??
Hello, or Hello often works, and is always considered good etiquette.
Jun 12, 2017, 10:47 PM
flyin' fool
I'm an *armchair cowboy and a Hopalong Cassidy fan. Have been for over 7 decades and am lucky enough to watch him about four time a week on cable TV. Seen all 66 movies over and over again, and still get that urge to fling my popcorn box at the screen when the bad guys get the upper hand.

* horses have been a big part of my family................. and I'm allergic to the critters.
Jun 13, 2017, 02:23 PM
Flying one day at a time....
Hey Frank....

..... the Fluteboy is cheap and capable. You have to roll your own, though. Made from 3mm Corex. I made one yesterday. Flew it today. Nice.

Here's a thread where I've posted a couple of details:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post37719250

Dave
Aug 18, 2017, 04:24 PM

More details please

Hi Frank,

This RB 800 looks easier than getting started sloping with than a Wisel or your Boomer Jr and has your stamp of approval. I've been swamped with OT this year at work until recently, so I've made little progress on gliders this year.

What servos do you use? is it this one you listed in the Boomer Jr. thread? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0sec_5_6g.html

What 4 Channel Orange Rx do you use?

What laminate thickness? If the 1.7 mil used in the Boomer Jr, where do you get it?

What are your recommended c.g., throws, expo, etc.

How is the RB 1000 coming? Do you use the same gear, or do you upgrade the servos and battery?

What are your setup info for the RB1000, including your recommended c.g., throws, expo, etc.

Is it possible to clean off the graphics with alcohol or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks,

rcflydad
Last edited by rcflydad; Aug 18, 2017 at 07:40 PM.
Aug 19, 2017, 08:51 PM
flyin' fool
With the RW 800 I kept it simple for an easy and quick 'ready to fly' build.

I added two CF short spars to the top center, a piece of foam across the motor cutout, weed whacker line to the LE, a lid for the gear and a bit of black acrylic paint. No lam film or tape, it's rigid enough. The control is done by an Orange R410X, two HXT500 servos. The rest in post #7.

I don't use dual rates or expo. My brain and thumbs are my computer program, even though I have the DX6G2
Last edited by goldguy; Aug 21, 2017 at 10:45 PM.
Aug 19, 2017, 09:00 PM
flyin' fool
The 1000 is another story. Built as kitted, it's floppy. Working on it now. Not sure if I'm going to make it a pure sloper or make it into a tractor power for both the slope and at the field. I think it would make a fun thermal machine, because we get lots of boomers where we now fly and I don't have a glider.

The paint can be removed with alcohol, but lacquer thinner does a better job. An old pint brush works the best............... outdoors.