Eachine VR D2 Pro FPV Goggles Mini Review

We check out the upgraded version of the Eachine VR D2 Pro FPV Goggles.

Splash

Introduction

Eachine's VR D2 Goggles have been a popular choice for entry level FPV pilots and they now have a Pro version which uses the same housing and has a few upgrades over the previous model. The faceplate has been extended for better comfort, the battery strap has also been improved for better comfort, the straps are now attached with Velcro making it easier to adjust the fit, the receiver now has autoscan for searching channels and you can see the frequency it's receiving on the screen as well as the signal strength for each antenna.

Specifications

• Size: 6" x 5.5" x 3.8"
  • Weight: 16oz
  • Screen: 5" 800x480 Resolution
  • Input Voltage: 7.4-8.4V
  • Receiver: Diversity 5.8Ghz 40 channel with Autoscan
  • AV Input: None
  • Battery: 2S 2200mAh
  • Price: $79.99
  • Available at: Banggood

Here's what you get in the box:

• Eachine VR D2 Pro Goggles
  • Omni and a Patch Antenna
  • 2S 2200mAH Lipo and Charger
  • Two sets of faceplate foam cushions
  • Two felt strips for nosepiece
  • Manual
  • Screen wipes

Thoughts

When I pulled the VR D2 Pro's out of the box I really liked the small form factor, but they felt a little heavy for the size. They are heavier than the larger Goggles Two for the same screen size. That's due to the plastic case on the VR D2 Pro. It came with two different sizes of foam inserts and I installed the thickest one for the most comfort. When I tried them on they felt just ok. It's not as comfortable to wear as the Headplays or the Goggles Two, but it wasn't too bad.

The Screen was nice and clear, but my eyes kept wanting to go cross eyed while in the 16:9 default aspect ratio. I tried adjusting the magnification screen and having it closest to my eyes was the best, but still not perfect for me. Changing the ratio to 4:3 seemed to help slightly. I did have a tiny bit of light leak coming in from the edges, but that will be different based on each person's facial structure and can be easily rectified by adding some foam in the areas where the light comes in.

The video reception seemed to work as well as any other goggle receivers I've used. The only thing I really had a problem with was getting into the the screen menu where you can record footage to the DVR. It was very finicky and didn't work half the time. I'm not sure if that's due to some lag in the button presses or what was going on. I really wish they made it easier to record footage like a standalone button for start/stop recording. The manual is very vague, but you need to press the Cam/DVR button to go to the DVR screen and then hit the + button to start recording. Half the time when I hit the Cam/DVR button it would just go to a grey screen and not allow me to record. On the few times I managed to get it to go to the DVR screen, it appeared to be recording, but nothing actually recorded to the micro SD card I had installed. That was really frustrating. The other thing to be aware of is when in the DVR screen where you can see the SD card icon and hit the + button to begin recording (if it works on your unit) is that you don't want to fly from this screen as it is terribly laggy. You'd need to hit the Cam/DVR button, hit the + button to begin recording, then hit the Cam/DVR button again to go back to the normal viewing screen where you can safely fly. After landing, hit the Cam/DVR button again and then hit the + button to stop the recording. That sounds like a pain and it didn't work on my unit. I was never able to actually record any files to the SD card. I eventually just gave up and chalked it up to a defective unit. If yours does the same, I'd suggest you contact Banggood and ask for a replacement unit.

Conclusion

The Eachine VR D2 Pro is a pretty good value if you are on a budget. It's a nice size for a headbox style and easier to travel with than larger headsets. The Diversity receiver works great and the goggles are comfortable enough. For $79 it is certainly a compelling choice for entry level FPV pilots, but due to the complicated DVR recording process (on working units) it might be worth saving up a little more money for something like the Eachine Goggles Two. If DVR isn't important to you and you are looking for a cheap compact 5" screen video headset, then the VR D2 Pro will be great for you.

Pros

• Comes with CP Omni and a Patch Antenna
  • Adjustable magnification screen
  • Diversity Receiver
  • OSD Displays Frequency and Antenna Strength
  • Compact size for a head box design
  • DVR Included (When it works)

Cons

• Not as comfortable as other goggles
  • Still has some light leak
  • Accessing DVR Recording Screen was not reliable on this unit
  • DVR recording didn't work on this unit
  • Magnification screen slider was loose and slides out of position on this unit

Jun 02, 2017, 11:54 AM
Wandering IT geek
Good honest review! Nicely done!
Jun 03, 2017, 01:16 AM
RC Tech
Nice
Jun 03, 2017, 12:08 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
One thing that is nice about these goggles is the automatic frequency scan. First, always calibrate your receiver when you turn the unit on. Then just power up your transmitter, and press the scan button (furthest button on the right as you look through the goggles.) The googles will scan its entire frequency range and automatically select the frequency of your video transmitter.

Since this is memorized in non-volatile memory, the frequency will be remembered next time you power up. The DVR on my set worked fine. I'm waiting on a camera to test it in anger.

It's not a $500 set of goggles, but you don't pay $500 for them either! They're plenty good to fly. More details and I hope flight video to come!

The menus do not work the way the manual describes. It's obvious the manual was written before the design was finalized. You are going to have to figure out how the controls REALLY work by some old fashioned trial and terror. I'd do that on the ground.... I'll supply details and a cheat-sheet after I have this byzantine menu tree figured out and memorized.
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jun 03, 2017 at 12:16 PM.
Jun 17, 2017, 06:33 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Mine work great so far