Sep 21, 2019, 05:05 PM
Hey gooniac,
Did you try the fms fan on the 2200kv, or did you swap the whole unit dropping kv back down?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2019, 09:46 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko
Can anyone tell me what the length of the drop tank is? Also, what is the diameter at its widest point?
Drop tank of mine is 13 3/4s inches long and 53.2 mms wide... (used different methods therefor metric and SAE...) Hope this helps..!
Sep 21, 2019, 09:53 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
Drop tank of mine is 13 3/4s inches long and 53.2 mms wide... (used different methods therefor metric and SAE...) Hope this helps..!
Thank you.
Sep 21, 2019, 09:55 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Thank you.
Aye.!! whatcha doin'?
Sep 21, 2019, 10:06 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
Aye.!! whatcha doin'?
I bought two of these used and neither came with the ordnance. I asked on this thread if anyone had some for sale, but got no response. So, I'm looking into the option of 3D printing my own stuff. It's usually heavier than the foam Ordnance, but it's really my only option unless I want to spend $40 on replacement ordnance from FMS.

Interesting tidbit of info here... the attachment points under the wing are not exactly the same as the ones on the wingtips. I spent many hours printing variations of attachment hardware to work on those female attachment points on the wing. After many hours, I finally had one that worked great on the wingtips. I printed a couple more to put ordnance under the wings, and realized that it was way too loose and wobbly when used on the underwing points. However, if I print one that works great under the wings, it can't work on the wingtip lication. So strange. So, now I have two different male attachment hardware. One for the wingtips and another for the underwing mounts.

For those of you that do have the stock ordnance. Try taking the underwing weapons and see if you can attach it to the wingtips. I'd be curious to know if it works or not.
Sep 21, 2019, 10:13 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
I bought two of these used and neither came with the ordnance. I asked on this thread if anyone had some for sale, but got no response. So, I'm looking into the option of 3D printing my own stuff. It's usually heavier than the foam Ordnance, but it's really my only option unless I want to spend $40 on replacement ordnance from FMS.

Interesting tidbit of info here... the attachment points under the wing are not exactly the same as the ones on the wingtips. I spent many hours printing variations of attachment hardware to work on those female attachment points on the wing. After many hours, I finally had one that worked great on the wingtips. I printed a couple more to put ordnance under the wings, and realized that it was way too loose and wobbly when used on the underwing points. However, if I print one that works great under the wings, it can't work on the wingtip lication. So strange. So, now I have two different male attachment hardware. One for the wingtips and another for the underwing mounts.

For those of you that do have the stock ordnance. Try taking the underwing weapons and see if you can attach it to the wingtips. I'd be curious to know if it works or not.
Will try that tomorrow.. !
Was curious of the dimension need..!! I just got from FMS new wingtip missiles...' I run a rod through the center and harden up the outboard lower fins and add a small screw in it to make a skid of sorts.. But hopefully now I have learned the behavior of landing more I will not have those issues too often.. (I can only wish) ..
Sep 23, 2019, 10:26 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by putput
Hey gooniac,
Did you try the fms fan on the 2200kv, or did you swap the whole unit dropping kv back down?
My buddy uses that set up and while it is really fast, the amp draw cuts flight time by over a minute. The set up I used has the same motor but with the powerfun rotor. Its got lots of punch and can fly for 4+ mins without abusing the battery... I am able to hang with my buddies plane that is using the hotter set up with a much heavier 55c battery while I am using a 30c pack. Vertical and top speed are almost identical. But my flight times far exceed his.
Sep 23, 2019, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I tried that combo in my f16, didn't like it. Lost way to much so running the 2200 and fms fan, vertical is unlimited..
Now I've got the 2200 mad thrust 8 blade in my f18, meh... Barely better than stock. Going to try both the power fun and fms fans on it
Sep 23, 2019, 01:35 PM
Quote:
...For those of you that do have the stock ordnance. Try taking the underwing weapons and see if you can attach it to the wingtips. I'd be curious to know if it works or not...

My wingtip ordnance mics:
1.000" C-C
0.185" L on each stanchion
0.152" W on each stanchion

Under wing ordnance mics:
0.983" C-C
0.200" L on each stanchion
0.160" w on each stanchion

It seems to me they'd fit on the wingtip if I forced them, but it would deform the foam as it is countoured to the airfoil for a snug fit. The wingtip is flat.

They do initially fit, though.
Sep 23, 2019, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Hey gooniac,

The Powerfun fan is cheap.
Just use powerfun rotor and adaptor
On the FMS housing then . You got
A great fan unit :-)

Sep 23, 2019, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Hey gooniac,

It seems like they dont make Dr mad thrust motor 2200kv anymore. Hobbyking is
Out of stock forever...

Sep 24, 2019, 09:25 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Yeah, I tried that combo in my f16, didn't like it. Lost way to much so running the 2200 and fms fan, vertical is unlimited..
Now I've got the 2200 mad thrust 8 blade in my f18, meh... Barely better than stock. Going to try both the power fun and fms fans on it
I think that the F-16 may be the only one it didn't work well in. It is a pretty potent combo! The F-18 came to life with it! Or maybe the motor you had didn't have the punch as the others. Also was the fan balanced? If not the performance suffers quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011
The Powerfun fan is cheap.
Just use powerfun rotor and adaptor
On the FMS housing then . You got
A great fan unit :-)

There are other options out there now. I have been looking other places and have found that there are lots of good motors in that size. I will have to experiment some more now that the Dr. Madthrust is no longer out there....
Sep 24, 2019, 10:34 AM
Landing is not optional
Looks like the F18 is the next 70mm in line to get the new EDF and HW ESC.
Sep 25, 2019, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33

There are other options out there now. I have been looking other places and have found that there are lots of good motors in that size. I will have to experiment some more now that the Dr. Madthrust is no longer out there....
Everything comes to an end.
Too bad, no more Dr Mad Thrust.

But you always come with a better deal.
You are one of most valuable members here.
Thanks Ray.

Sep 25, 2019, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
Looks like the F18 is the next 70mm in line to get the new EDF and HW ESC.

Glad no more predator ESC :-)
I hope they fix the front gear too.

Quick Reply