F3J Team Selects Competition - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 31, 2017, 10:52 PM
Contest

F3J Team Selects Competition

F3J Team Select Competition 2017

Date: Saturday, Sunday and Monday-September 16-18 2017

Sponsor: San Luis Obispo Flyers Inc. ( SLO Flyers) and/or the Pismo Beach Soaring Association( PBSS)

Location: Historic Santa Margarita Ranch, Santa Margarita, California 93453

Weather: Santa Margarita (zip 93453), California, gets 25 inches of rain per year. The US average is 39. Snowfall is 0 inches. The average US city gets 26 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 28. On average, there are 286 sunny days per year in Santa Margarita (zip 93453), California. The September high is around 93 degrees. Sperling's comfort index for Santa Margarita (zip 93453) is 83 out of 100, where a higher score indicates a more comfortable year-around climate. The US average for the comfort index is 54. Our index is based on the total number of days annually within the comfort range of 70-80 degrees, and we also applied a penalty for days of excessive humidity.

Field: The field is a 900 acre space with mown pasture grass. There are no-no fly zones.

The contest will be scored with live updates on Jim Monacos’ on line system on the F3xevents.com website The entry fee is $105.00, signups at F3Xevents.com

Contest director: Henry Bostick pending availability.

Accommodations: motels in Atascadero (6 miles), San Luis Obispo (8 miles), Paso Robles (15 miles) are the closest to the field. For coastal locations Pismo Beach (18 miles) Morro Bay (26 miles)

Camping at the field: Dry camping and RV parking are available at the field at no charge. Portable toilets will be provided. The organizers will be investigating RV units to be brought to the field for the weekend to be available for participants to rent.

Food: Arrangements will be made for local clubs or food wagons to serve at the field.

Airport locations: The San Luis Obispo regional airport is the closest airport (20 min) with connecting flights from/to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver and Phoenix. Los Angeles International Airport is 3 ½ hours drive from south and San Francisco 4 hours drive from north. Fresno Regional airport is 3 hours drive from east.

Contact person: Rick Johnston, email: rickj1151@charter.net, cell phone: 805-235-6415
Last edited by Rickj.1151; May 31, 2017 at 11:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2017, 12:29 PM
Thank you Mr Rick for putting this together. Looks like an awesome venue, I can't wait to see it.

Mostly due to the popularity of the USA J Tour, the level of competition in this country is at an all time high. Best of luck ( and skill) to all those aspiring to be United States team members.

We'll see y'all there.

Dp
Jun 16, 2017, 07:53 AM
Jody Miller
Rick, am I looking at the right venue? I'm seeing there is a zip line and trains!?!?

Jody
Jun 16, 2017, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811
Rick, am I looking at the right venue? I'm seeing there is a zip line and trains!?!?

Jody
Zep, there are zip lines on the Ranch and trains. Zip lines are easy to arrange. Train not so easy. Thursday evening is Farmers Market in San Luis Obispo(12 miles-college town). Wineries all over the place and yes Jody, pubs! Looking forward to a good time flying with you guys.
Rick
Jul 21, 2017, 01:46 PM
RIP MC
Hi Rick, I remember having to register with the AMA and sending funds to them for the Dallas TS and wondering if this will be the same?

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Thanks for doing this!.
Tuan
Jul 27, 2017, 04:30 PM
Tuan - it is the same as past Team Selections.
You will need to join the program at the AMA and then there is a TS event fee.
All of the proceeds of the program fees at the AMA go to the team.
All of the entry fees - event expenses also goes to the team fund.
Further info will be posted for the AMA program entry.
Jim
Jul 27, 2017, 06:25 PM
RIP MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsoars
Tuan - it is the same as past Team Selections.
You will need to join the program at the AMA and then there is a TS event fee.
All of the proceeds of the program fees at the AMA go to the team.
All of the entry fees - event expenses also goes to the team fund.
Further info will be posted for the AMA program entry.
Jim

Thanks Jim, that's kinda what I remembered. Can you also clarify on the 30-day issue. Is it that us pilots have to register with the AMA 30 days before the contest or just the CD has to have TS contest sanctions filed 30 days prior, or?????
Thanks!!!!
Jul 29, 2017, 06:07 PM
At the Nats, home Wednesday
Aug 04, 2017, 08:52 AM
What hotels are everyone staying in?
Aug 04, 2017, 10:42 AM
Registered Taranis User
Be sure you don't pick the one where you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave.
Latest blog entry: Taranis: LiPo Fuel Gauge!
Aug 04, 2017, 01:42 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCmama
What hotels are everyone staying in?
They're all expensive. Jeff said something about renting a house. If I go I might be able to afford renting a cardboard box.
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Aug 04, 2017, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
They're all expensive. Jeff said something about renting a house. If I go I might be able to afford renting a cardboard box.
I see a Motel 6 for $79.99 in San Luis Obispo, may not be the Hilton but it is close to the field.
Aug 04, 2017, 01:52 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Ms. Kim, are you, Dillon, and John heading out there?
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Aug 04, 2017, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
Ms. Kim, are you, Dillon, and John heading out there?
No Mike, Dillon will be going hopefully with John. I am going to sit this one out.......I think
Aug 05, 2017, 12:33 AM
look in Atascadero CA 10 min from SM