Oct 22, 2004, 01:07 PM
penoyman
Thread OP

General Q on Throttle Control

What actually gets controlled when throttle is moved in the transmitter, is it the voltage that goes to the motor or the current?
Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2004, 01:51 PM
Gurpgork
The throttle signal is sent from the RX to the ESC, which does not directly control voltage or current, although they are obviously affected. The ESC sends full battery voltage to the motor at full throttle, and zero voltage at throttle down. The way electronic speed controls work today is to pulse full voltage to the motor for throttle settings between full and zero. The higher the throttle setting, the longer the on-pulses, and the shorter the off-pulses. Early ESC's pulsed as slowly as 60 times per second, which made for a growly sound. Now they pulse much faster, 1000 times a second or more.

I did have an old RC car back in the late 70's that used a resistive speed controller. A contact wiper attached to the servo moved across a variable resistor to control throttle. After maybe 20 battery charges, the resistor started developing dead spots. Electronics have made all of that a thing of the past.

Karl
Oct 22, 2004, 03:25 PM
penoyman
Thread OP
Thanks Karl. So depending on throttle stick location, the amount of time spent on the full batt voltage will be longer as it goes near the WOT point. This "on" time decreases as you go near the throttle off point (dead stick). I hope I got it right.
Oct 22, 2004, 04:14 PM
characters welcome!
Correct.

mw

Quick Reply