MultiRC Pagoda FPV Antenna Mini Review

Pagoda antennas are relatively new to the FPV world. It was designed by Maarten Baert and it features high gain and axial ratio and is small, light and durable.

Splash

5.8Ghz Omnidirectional FPV Antenna

Pagoda antennas are relatively new to the FPV world. It was designed by Maarten Baert and it features high gain and axial ratio and is small, light and durable. It weighs in at less than 10g and can come in different lengths and polarization. Polarization is the key as the high axial ratio means it does a superb job of rejecting opposite polarity signals. That comes in handy at races where alternating polarity antennas are used to help separate the channel signals. It's an open source design and you can make your own or purchase them pre-made.

We ran into the MultiRC guys at the Toledo show and they handed me a set to check out. They cost just $9.99 each and you can get them in SMA/RP-SMA, left/right hand polarization, and stubby or long sizes. The antennas come with some 3D printed spacers as well for extra protection.

Specification:

• Center frequency: 5.8 GHz
  • Frequency Range: 5550 – 6050 MHz
  • Matching S11 < -20dB, VSWR <1.22
  • Gain: 1.09dB with efficiency: 92%
  • Axial Ratio: <1.3
  • Beamwidth: 360 degrees
  • Left or Right Hand Circular Polarized: (LHCP or RHCP)
  • Connector: SMA or RP-SMA

Let's Take a Look

Testing the Antennas

I wanted to see how the Pagoda antenna would work out in the real world and I don't have any fancy testing equipment for antennas so I took my camera, FPV plane, and a couple sets of antennas to the field to see how the signals would come through. The video below shows the results. I flew with the Pagoda antennas used on the both the transmitter and receiver and then switched both over to my standard FatShark CP antennas and tried to fly a similar path. The video transmitter used was a 200mw unit. I didn't have a DVR unit with a single tuner receiver so I recorded the screen directly with my video camera.

As you can see in the video below the Pagoda antenna outperformed the normal CP antennas in this scenario. That doesn't mean the Pagoda will perform the best in all environments and flying styles, but it did in this instance. The Pagoda has a higher gain and should be better at flying farther out. The normal CP antennas have a smaller null spot at the top and bottom of the signal and may perform better when doing aerobatics. I like seeing the side by side view using the same equipment and changing out the antennas to see the results. It's not a perfectly scientific test, but it's as close to real world results as you can get.

Conclusion

I'm all about smaller, lighter and cheaper with FPV gear so long as the performance is good. The Pagoda antenna hits on all cylinders in that regard and for only $10 a piece, these are a no brainer to have in your bag.

Check out the MultiRC Pagoda Antennas Here

Jun 01, 2017, 09:45 PM
RCGroups Editor
Great comparison video test! Looks like they perform very well.
Jun 02, 2017, 10:35 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
The spacers are included with the antennas, Jason. Mark always does a top notch job with all the MultiRC products!
Jun 02, 2017, 11:12 AM
RCG Staff
Thanks! I'll update that in the article.
Jun 05, 2017, 06:57 PM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
These will be the next antennas I buy!
Jun 13, 2017, 12:32 AM
Professional UAV Services
just a quick question, what was the value of the standard CP antenna you used, was it on par cost wise with the cost of the Pagoda?

p.s. Surprised also that Alex has tried to claim this one as his design as well.....
Jun 13, 2017, 01:37 AM
I've recently tried the Pagoda v-2 with my 250 racing quads and it works very well. At least as good as a FS Spironet and ~ 1/2 the cost. I got mine locally from MF and it came with a plastic protector casing which seems to protect it very well, so far;

https://www.modelflight.com.au/pagod...connector.html
Jun 13, 2017, 02:20 AM
haven't seen these guys before, thanks for the link
Jun 13, 2017, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
haven't seen these guys before, thanks for the link
You have not seen ModelFlight before in Australia? Or do you mean the antennas? These guys (MF and antennas) are great imho. Cheers.
Last edited by TomC; Jun 13, 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Jun 13, 2017, 01:04 PM
RCG Staff
Quote:
just a quick question, what was the value of the standard CP antenna you used, was it on par cost wise with the cost of the Pagoda?
Most run about $6-$7
Jun 13, 2017, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Most run about $6-$7
Sure, but we are talking about a premium product with a premium price tag right (sure $10 is not high, but high compared to a $6 one)?

So if we are going to compare to this premium product we need an equivalent premium product worth the same amount to compare it too, grabbing the old AOMWAY CP doesn't really cut it as typically they are half to 1/3 the price of these. This is Alex's old trick, my $50 antenna is better than the $3 one. you are comparing apples and banana's, sure they are both still fruit but......

If we compare it say to something like a Hugo CP antenna then we are getting into the same realm to compare.....it is misleading to do any other sort of comparison.
Jun 14, 2017, 09:37 AM
RCG Staff
Quote:
Sure, but we are talking about a premium product with a premium price tag right (sure $10 is not high, but high compared to a $6 one)?

So if we are going to compare to this premium product we need an equivalent premium product worth the same amount to compare it too, grabbing the old AOMWAY CP doesn't really cut it as typically they are half to 1/3 the price of these. This is Alex's old trick, my $50 antenna is better than the $3 one. you are comparing apples and banana's, sure they are both still fruit but......

If we compare it say to something like a Hugo CP antenna then we are getting into the same realm to compare.....it is misleading to do any other sort of comparison.
Whoops I was thinking the stock dipole stuff that comes with most systems with that $7 price mark. The Fatshark CP antennas used for the video runs $40 for a pair, so it was comparing a $10 antenna to a more expensive $20 antenna and the $10 Pagoda performed better in this environment.
Jun 15, 2017, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Whoops I was thinking the stock dipole stuff that comes with most systems with that $7 price mark. The Fatshark CP antennas used for the video runs $40 for a pair, so it was comparing a $10 antenna to a more expensive $20 antenna and the $10 Pagoda performed better in this environment.
Woot!