May 30, 2017, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Top Models RC Cougar

Bob Ruff did a great job in another thread I recommend having a look at. I used some different components and didn't want to hijack his thread.
I flew to DuPage airport in Chicago to pick up my Cougar and had a chance to have lunch with Mike of Caiman Distribution and Dan of Robart. Great guys and wonderful Chicago pizza. Mike on the right, me on the left and in the middle my flight instructor Dick.

The fit of wings and stabs was nice and tight. No adjustments needed. Impressed already.
All servo openings were the size of the Savox servos I bought. Later I found out Mike has the right size servos and lipos. I could not find the right fit with JR, Hitec, Futaba or Spektrum.
Last edited by EDF Guy; May 30, 2017 at 08:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2017, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
I mounted the nose retract on the top side to lower the angle of attack by about a half inch up front. The nose retract would work with the same size servo as everywhere else in the jet but the strut contacted the pre-installed gear door closer at the scissor link which I just didn't like so I changed the door opener which required using a shorter servo for steering as the servo would hit my modification when retracting the gear otherwise. I like the direct steering mechanism and the retracts are bulletproof.
May 30, 2017, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
Initially I thought The strut springs were to strong so I compressed them for 2 days. They are good quality so this made no difference. The springs provided can be adjusted per Robart. Simply take them out and cut a little off at a time to get the compression resistance desired. I took 10mm off the nose gear strut spring and replaced the main springs with some found at Ace Hardware before having the discussion with customers service at Robart (where a real person answered the phone and my question in one call, nice). Keep in mind that even though the Jet will likely come out to 18 pounds ish the majority will be on the mains as the CG is much closer to the mains than the nose gear. Its not 6lbs per strut. More like 8, 8 and 2 as a guess. I'll likely go back to Robart main springs but trim a little.

Nose gear doors are already installed.

The EVF3 was an exact fit into the inlet ducting with no gap.
May 30, 2017, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
I have three 4s 6600mah packs from my BVM sabre that I will use and needed to make an additional tray to accommodate. Mike's set up using a pair of red 6s 6500s is shown as well. His is a tidier and easier approach.

The nose strut is angled a bit forward. Enough so I thought I had done something wrong or needed to shim the mount. Google knows all and photos of the full scale version reveals that Robart made it true to the original with the nose strut extending past perpendicular.

To install the fan you'll need to file, sand or otherwise cut away part of the fuse (as seen) to get it wide enough.

All I have left is to check the CG and fly at the Jet Jam. See you there! I'll be there weds to noon Friday.
Last edited by EDF Guy; May 30, 2017 at 08:44 PM.
May 30, 2017, 10:25 PM
EDF all the way!
Carl,
I changed my battery setup to use the 6600ma BVM style packs. I have a set from TopGear and a set from Dinogy to try. Yours looks great!
Bob
May 31, 2017, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Bob, I need to start looking for a pilot. Did you have any luck?
Jun 01, 2017, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Batteries in place. I built a small box between mine to cover servo from nose gear and keep my tall skinny packs from falling over
Jun 05, 2017, 06:07 PM
Jim H
Carl

I had the same issue with the angle of attack, I raised the mains.
Added wood around the nose gear mount, you can see in the picture how close to the edge the screw holes were.
Gave up on the gear door mechanism and just put servos to the doors.

Still trying to have it ready for the EDF Jet Jam.
Waiting on parts from BVM, thrust tube and BVM E-Brake V2 Valve.
Can fly without the brakes, but i won't get far without that tube.

Jim H
Jun 05, 2017, 09:43 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Jim
I have a couple of the BVM thrust tubes on hand if you need one
Jun 05, 2017, 10:29 PM
Jim H
thanks Bob,

I had BVM custom cut a tube, to fit the Hacker stream fan.
If it doesn't show up in time, i'll bring the jet and we can cobble something together.

Jim H
Jun 13, 2017, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Will be cool having two there. Three of Mike makes it. One of my favorite things in this jet is that there is only a single hook up for the wing. Just the aileron! My BVM sabre has 5!

I'm packing now for Jet Jam. Should be there noon tomorrow or there abouts. When will you arrive?
Jun 13, 2017, 07:06 PM
EDF all the way!
Good Luck and have fun!
Bob
Jun 13, 2017, 09:31 PM
Jim H
Mine is not ready yet. Still need to install the receiver, brake valve, ESC, thrust tube, route the wiring, set CG,program the radio, test flight, ect... and I'm working a 10 hr shift at work tomorrow.

I should be there early Fri morning.

Jim H
Jun 15, 2017, 05:06 AM
Thread OP
Maiden flight plus 2 more. Flew great at suggested CG but I think a bit nose heavy. Mine came in Just over 21 lbs.
Needed some up trim. Air brakes work perfectly. They pitch the nose up just enough to counter act the landing gear pulling the nose down. Slows way down before stall. The airframe is more efficient than expected as I can get just about the same flight time as my 18lb fairly sleek bvm f86. 6 min flight with 6600 mah pack is not pushing them too far. With my EVF3 I'm seeing max current of 116A. With the O rings lubed I'm using 25lbs air pressure for the brakes.
Aileron throws were about double what I need to fly but elevator was about right.
Jun 15, 2017, 09:21 AM
Jim H
congrats Carl

Quick Reply