May 29, 2017, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help. Sterling Emma C Berry build problem

I've just started build the Emma C Berry, the big Sterling kit. I've gotten to gluing parts 5A onto part 5 and they just don't seem to fit right. The parts 5 A seem to be a little shorter than the area on part 5 where the are glued. I'm letting other glue dry right now but I'll try to post pics of the problem tomorrow. Please, I'm looking for someone who has built this boat not people with guesses.
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2017, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Was able to take pictures tonight. I hope I can get them loaded. The one marked "forward" is lined up along the leading edge of the parts. As you can see it lines up along the first part of the bottom but not the second part and is a lot shorter at the top. The one marked aft lines up along the bottom which also lines up at the back. But it doesn't line up at the front and is a lot taller than the place on part 5 where it attaches. I assume this is not just my problem and others have come up with their solution.
May 30, 2017, 11:15 AM
Boaters are nice people.
It looks to me, glued together like in the first picture that once you've faired the parts, they do line up (with the planking).
Mind you, I haven't built the Emma C. Berry.

Regards, Jan.
May 30, 2017, 11:51 AM
Modeler/ Historian
There is a fantastic build log of the Sterling Emma C Berry on the scale sailboats forum. Perhaps that might help?
May 30, 2017, 11:58 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Here's a link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-emma-c-berry
May 30, 2017, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
I had seen that thread before I bought the bought but this time I see several good pictures of that end showing that the part 5A is attached forward like I show in my first picture. The overhang is where the last ribs mount - it certainly is NOT FAIRED. (Had I followed this ill conceived suggestion I would have ben screwed which is why I asked for suggestions only from people who knew what they were talking about because they had done it.)
May 30, 2017, 02:07 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Good. Nothing beats a good build thread. I reviewed several on my last build plus made one of my own.
Jun 02, 2017, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
Another issue. When build rib 14 the top bar is over a 1/4 inch too long if the sides and bottom pieces are built flush and tight. See the pictures below. I at first though the top bar was just too long but in looking at the plans and comparing rib 14 to ribs 13 and 15 it seems the top bar is correct. So I can either have the parts fil flush in their glue joints with gaps in the bottom to side joints or have all the joints slightly cocked so the sides do not overhang the bottom. Has anyone run into this issue?
Jun 03, 2017, 03:31 PM
Culper Junior
I've never built this boat or any Sterling boats, but this quality of fit was common in their airplane kits. Keep an emory board handy.

I live about 70 miles north of Philadelphia where Sterling was located. A friend once visited them and reported their die cutters were oriented on drums which rolled over balsa sheets and cut into them. Imagine cookie cutters fastened around a roller. From use the dies would/could bend a bit and result in inaccurate cut parts.
Last edited by aeronca52; Jun 03, 2017 at 03:38 PM.
Jun 05, 2017, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
I would like to thank all those who have built this wonderful boat before for the helpful answers they have given so that someone can learn from their previous efforts.

Now I know why I stopped coming to this group.
Jun 05, 2017, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure if many people on this forum, as opposed to the scale sailboat forum, have built this kit. This is usually a pretty helpful place and I would expect that anyone here who built an Emma C. Berry would have jumped in. I think its likely that since most people on this forum build/sail raceboats that it is a lack of knowledge not a lack of care or respect that has left your questions unanswered. Best of luck on the build....
Jun 05, 2017, 10:23 PM
Nicely said, Tom
Jun 07, 2017, 08:22 AM

I am building one

I am building one due to the way the boat is stamped out adjustments
and out right replacements are necessary to build a "good" hull.
Mike

Aug 15, 2017, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
I have a few more photos to show but only two are available now. The first shows the completed skeleton. On the far side you can see how I had to increase the length of the starboard shear slightly to accommodate the issue with the #14 rib discussed above. I should have immediately removed and fixed rib 14 at this point but still didn't know what was wrong. At this point I'm pretty sure that the cutouts at the sides of the rib for the top part are not deep enough. This will come back to haunt me later.
Aug 15, 2017, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
I had decided to plank the hull instead of using the sheeting provided by Sterling. I like to see the faint indications of planking in a wooden boat. I decided to use 1/2 by 1/16 basswood for the planking. The longest pieces I could find were 24 inches so I knew I had to use 2 per row per side. I had done planking before as shown in the next photo so I was not a stranger to it. However, I could use one plank per row on it and used 1/4 by 1/16 basswood which would have been better for the Emma.

Quick Reply