May 27, 2017, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Need experienced reviews/advice re: Freewing F-14 vs. F-15

I have my eye on one of these two & each seems to have their pluses & minuses.

The F-14 is larger, easier to see, has a swept wing option, & a more complex TWIN 80

The F-15 is slightly smaller, simpler, almost exactly as fast, but not as complex with a SINGLE 90..

I would like to call for advice & opinions from those who have hopefully flown both (or either if not both) as to what your feedback would be.
I want some challenge, speed, & am strongly leaning towards the f14 for size (visual reference).

(a) I fly off a short-cut grass field (400+ yards) & heard the F14 does not like grass at all.
(b) I keep reading about F14 people pulling their hair out trying to get the correct mixes in swept/extended wing configurations.

Experiences & personal opinons from folks who have flown them?
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2017, 07:40 PM
Foam addict
I have both and they are both completely different. The F15 is overweight and is not one of my favorite models (out of more than a dozen it comes close to dead last as a favorite). The F14 is a large plane quite different than anything else available thanks to its swing wing. It isn't particularly aerobatic and can't be thrown around as easily as most jets but the presence in the air is undeniable. I used the stock mixing board without issue along with a cheap Hobbyeagle gyro. Yes the flaps must be used with caution (only with wings out) to prevent hitting the fuselage. The long gear legs can easily pull out or damage the mounts in the foam but I haven't had any issues as I used fishing line to anchor the legs from bending aft. The tiny bit extra strength of that fishing line prevents the wire from bending too unless you had side loading (landing in a strong crosswind). The stock elevator servos were very poor and had to be exchanged with something better (be sure to buy one that is reversed). Perhaps this servo issue has been fixed in newer deliveries.... If you fly off grass I highly recommend the Freewing 90mm Venom. Be sure to block off the belly cheater as it isn't needed and only sucks up debris which can damage the fan (in both the F15 and the Venom there is no performance loss).
May 27, 2017, 08:39 PM
My vote is for the F-15. I'm on my 2nd, only because of a bad battery, that hit LVC on take-off, and she rolled in. I liked it so much, I bought another, but this time went with the 1680kv version. I researched the F-14, and to me, It had more minuses than pluses, for my taste. The F-15 will Take-Off & Land from grass strips, and the gear on it is pretty sturdy. Another plus, is you only have to burn 1 pack at a time (less weight). The number of channels needed, and the mixing needed to fly the F-14, turned me off, but different strokes for different folks.....
May 27, 2017, 08:48 PM
Foam addict
No special mixing needed in the F14. Just use the supplied equipment and a 7 channel radio will do.
Two packs to fly is true but with modern chargers the down time to charge is pretty short.
DP you might want to try just about any other foam 90mm jet to see how much of an underperformer the F15 really is.

BTW I'm also on my second F15 as the first crashed as well! Strangely most of my other jets haven't needed the same "learning curve" or power swaps.
May 27, 2017, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
{The F-14} isn't particularly aerobatic and can't be thrown around as easily as most jets but the presence in the air is undeniable. I used the stock mixing board without issue along with a cheap Hobbyeagle gyro.

Not aerobatic?!?!
Oh no... I thought it would be snappy in the rolls with the Swept-Delta configuration.. & pretty low-speed maneuverable with the extended config. To what extent did you find it not very aerobatic?

When you say "cannot be thrown around as easily" are you referring to a lack of control surface responsiveness / throw or do you mean tip stall consequence, etc?

Dead last on the F15 eh? That's pretty bad.
May 27, 2017, 11:59 PM
Foam addict
It is aerobatic but not light enough to be thrown around. Due to its weight it is pretty fast so it eats up the sky with pretty large turns. Maybe I'm not horsing it around as much as possible but I think those swing wings are bending enough with mild aerobatics and don't want to see what happens when they get pushed too far. With some negative "G" maneuvers it has snapped out on me so I do avoid outside maneuvers when flying less than a "couple of mistakes" high.
May 28, 2017, 01:24 AM
Let's see.....I have owned & Flown the FlyFly 90mm F-4, in a 6S and 8S configuration, The Exceed F-18/90mm( 6S), The FlyFly L-39/90mm, in both 6S & 8S, The FW T-45/90mm, and the FW F-15, one stock, and one with the 1680kv set-up. That being said "This ain't my first rodeo". At some point, I have "modded" the power-train in my jets, to suit my flying style. If they fly well, and don't fall out of the sky, I fly the hell out of them and enjoy it. They don't have to hit Mach2, with their hair on fire to have fun.
May 28, 2017, 01:40 AM
F15 on 7s is a great flyer. F14, and the f15 are not very sporty till you find the combo you like.
May 28, 2017, 08:09 AM
Foam addict
On thing to watch on the F15 and grass is that the gear is narrow and with the lightly sprung nose gear it can be "tippy" . If the wing tip catches the grass with any speed the plastic knob moulded into the navigation light will hook into the ground jarring the wing mount. I have broken the attachements this way and have removed the hook like protrusion to try and prevent further damage.
May 29, 2017, 07:27 PM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman5150 View Post
I have my eye on one of these two & each seems to have their pluses & minuses.

The F-14 is larger, easier to see, has a swept wing option, & a more complex TWIN 80

The F-15 is slightly smaller, simpler, almost exactly as fast, but not as complex with a SINGLE 90..

I would like to call for advice & opinions from those who have hopefully flown both (or either if not both) as to what your feedback would be.
I want some challenge, speed, & am strongly leaning towards the f14 for size (visual reference).

(a) I fly off a short-cut grass field (400+ yards) & heard the F14 does not like grass at all.
(b) I keep reading about F14 people pulling their hair out trying to get the correct mixes in swept/extended wing configurations.

Experiences & personal opinons from folks who have flown them?
They both fly only as good as you build them and both need lot of improvements like most of ARF kit models.

Quick Reply