May 27, 2017, 02:43 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Question

Woodworkers, I have a question.

I was given a 100 year old clock. Let's just pretend it is a 100 year old model boat!

There is a piece of decorative wood, that was nearly broken all the way through. It was also curved. Well I glued the break. Then when I went to install it, I realized it is supposed to be flat and not curved.

So my question is, can I fix it?

I was wondering if soaking it in water for a few days would soften it, and then I could put a weight over it to bend it flat again? What should I or can I do?

Thanks!

to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2017, 03:49 PM
If the glue would survive being underwater for a couple of days, I'd say submerge it and add some weights onto the wood. Preferably not steel or iron which could rust.
Dumas boats used this soaking technique to allow some pretty severe bends in some of their models where one soaked the wood, clamped it to the model frames and then glued it after a couple of days of drying.
May 27, 2017, 03:59 PM
On recommendations from other members, I have used Windex glass cleaner to soften the wood before bending. It might work to flatten it out with weight on it. May take a few soakings to get it flat. Just a suggestion. Is this plywood or solid wood. Could try making a paper template from the original, and building a new piece.
May 27, 2017, 04:10 PM
WooHoo!
Is it warped?
May 27, 2017, 06:00 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Thanks for the idea's guys!

Pat, yes it got warped somehow. I know now that it was originally flat.
May 27, 2017, 08:10 PM
Please post some videos when you get it back on the pond.
May 27, 2017, 08:50 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Just a thought. Many clock cases were constructed using veneer. Soaking veneered wood creates another set of problems.
May 27, 2017, 08:54 PM
I'm afraid soaking it in Windex with that finish on it (varnish, shellac ?) isn't going to do much good except make a sticky mess.
May 27, 2017, 09:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Smith
Please post some videos when you get it back on the pond.
That will be a Youtube sensation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum444
Just a thought. Many clock cases were constructed using veneer. Soaking veneered wood creates another set of problems.
Yeah, thought avout that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE
I'm afraid soaking it in Windex with that finish on it (varnish, shellac ?) isn't going to do much good except make a sticky mess.
I certainly don't need that!

Another forum I posted on, a fellow who is a shipwright told me to steam it. Steam it a lot, and then put weight on it. Might need to do it several times he said.

I have also thought about just cutting a new piece of wood. But that will be if I destroy this one trying to fix it.
May 27, 2017, 10:54 PM
Just Plane Nutts
it appears the wood is sealed with some sort of finish. That would prevent it from soaking up water for softening the wood fibers.

Hit it with a hot air gun to soften the glues and sealants, then try to re-shape. Just one possible method.
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
May 27, 2017, 10:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Hmm, interesting idea!
May 27, 2017, 11:23 PM
try dry heat with a heat gun, if you heat the inside of the bend it will expand the wood and then put some pressure on the high side, this should take the warp out of it, I have done this many times on wood mast's
John R.
May 28, 2017, 12:18 AM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Thanks for the tip!
May 28, 2017, 08:40 AM
Got Chrome?
Soaking in water will likely damage the finish and possibly cause the veneer to peel. The heat idea can work, but don't use a real hot setting as it can cause the finish to melt or bubble up (especially if they used shellac which has wax in it). I would suggest a hair dryer and try that first. If not, you may find putting the piece on a flat surface with something solid and flat over the top and out some weight on it. If the glue isn't cured yet, it may have enough "give" to flatten out as the glue cures.
May 28, 2017, 02:05 PM
What kind of glue is it?

Quick Reply