Traxxas Blast Electric Sport Boat - RC Groups

Traxxas Blast Electric Sport Boat

The Traxxas Blast is the perfect entry into rc boating. It's affordable fun on the water, and features a TQ transmitter and 6-cell NiMH battery. Let's take a look!

The Traxxas Blast Electric Boat

The Blast is Back!

Sporting a new look and upgraded electronics, the Blast is the perfect sport boat for the new pilot or for some good fun on the water. The Blast comes with a Stinger 20-turn brushed motor, waterproof Nautica ESC, a waterproof high-torque steering servo, and a Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz radio system. A 7.2V Power Cell NiMH battery with iD is included, as is an AC wall charger. The Blast retails for $159.99.

Specs:

• Hull Type: High Performance Modified "V"
  • Dead Rise Angle: 20 Degrees
  • Hull Length: 23.75 Inches (603mm)
  • Beam: 5.75 Inches (146mm)
  • Weight: 28oz (.793kg)
  • Draft: 3.25 Inches (83mm)
  • Speed Control Type: Nautica™ Waterproof ESC
  • Charger: AC Wall Charger
  • Battery: Traxxas 6-cell NiMH battery with iDTM
  • Motor (electric): Water-cooled 540 Stinger™ (20-turn)
  • Drive System Direct Drive
  • Outdrive Adjustable Surface-Piercing
  • Radio System Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz (3-Channel)

Fun in the Sun | Traxxas Blast (1 min 11 sec)

CLICK HERE for more info on the new Traxxas Blast sport boat

May 26, 2017, 11:22 AM
I like the hull shape and design, the color is a little overboard though!

Looks like the battery might be hard to get in there?

Is it lipo compatible?? Most of us have many 2s lipos that would run nicely in there. A 5000 would last forever I bet. Might burn up motors though.

I guess if it's not lipo compatible then a buzzer would work well enough
May 26, 2017, 11:58 AM
RCGroups Editor
Edit: Im wrong. It can run on a 2s lipo but does NOT have lipo safe LVC.

Sorry.
Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 26, 2017 at 02:57 PM.
May 26, 2017, 01:49 PM
That's good to hear! I might have to pick one up this summer

Edit* oh well...surprised it doesn't have the option at least!
Last edited by Panhead5496; May 26, 2017 at 05:05 PM.
May 26, 2017, 02:28 PM
Just Plane Nutts
A 5000mAh pack is a bit too heavy for a 23" boat. It looks like the battery is stored forward, so going with larger packs will upset balance a lot. A 2200 2S lipo might fit and be of similar weight. That would give plenty of run time.

The steerable outdrive is pretty cool to look at. Curious as to how it affects handling. I agree that the paint scheme doesn't appeal. I like colorful paint jobs, but that's just too "busy" for my tastes. Hopefully they are peel off stickers like their Spartan.

Can't wait for a hand-ons review by someone. Could have potential for upgrading.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; May 26, 2017 at 02:37 PM.
May 26, 2017, 02:48 PM
Electric RC Addict
Pretty cool looking but it's still got the same crappy Stinger motor in it. The motor in mine crapped out after about 4 months. A friend of mine went through 3 of those motors in the same time period.

Unless they've since updated it, the Nautica ESC is NOT lipo compatible nor does it have reverse. Not to say you couldn't run 2S lipos but you would have to either carefully monitor the battery voltage while running or install a low voltage alarm to make sure you don't over discharge your battery.

I put a Titan 12T motor and XL-5 ESC in mine but I don't really run it too much anymore. Even with the Titan upgrade, it still seems very slow compared to what I run now.
May 26, 2017, 06:41 PM
Blast was my first rc boat many years ago. Got me hooked on the hobby maybe it can do the same for others. Personally one could do better for a little more $
May 26, 2017, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMN
Blast was my first rc boat many years ago. Got me hooked on the hobby maybe it can do the same for others. Personally one could do better for a little more $
I agree one could do better for a little more for sure.

I think Traxxas main appeal is how you can charge and go, and know they have excellent customer support.

$160 rtr and 20mph isn't a terrible deal for someone who is used to Walmart boats if you think of it that way
May 26, 2017, 10:26 PM
Another Barbie meets Austin Powers color scheme...
May 26, 2017, 10:44 PM
Electric RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
I agree one could do better for a little more for sure.

I think Traxxas main appeal is how you can charge and go, and know they have excellent customer support.

$160 rtr and 20mph isn't a terrible deal for someone who is used to Walmart boats if you think of it that way
The Blast is a great boat and it is aimed at beginners. It was my first hobby grade boat. I still have it even though I hardly run it anymore. However the downfalls are it doesn't have reverse out of the box which can definitely be a disadvantage at times especially if it runs ashore on the other side of the lake or pond which I actually did have happen once. What saved me from a long walk was a smart little girl that saw it and pushed it back into the water for me. After that, I bought and installed an XL-5 ESC in order to get reverse. The second is the Stinger motor that I mentioned earlier. It runs VERY HOT, regardless of what you might do to try and keep it cool and I think that is why they don't last very long.

Replacing the motor in this boat is not my idea of fun either. You have to remove the ENTIRE insides of the boat just to get the motor out.

I am thinking about trying to convert it to brushless with a mild setup. OSE has a Leopard 3650 1650kv motor that has a 1/8 inch shaft like the stock motor that would probably work nicely on 2S (roughly 13,860 RPM unloaded) with this boat. I've seen videos where some have tried to install the Traxxas VXL system and the boat just cannot handle it.
Last edited by DBJr; May 26, 2017 at 10:53 PM.
May 26, 2017, 11:54 PM
Just Plane Nutts
A 3650 is a big motor for a 24" plastic boat. A 2850 would be more suitable. Such an inrunner may still overpower it, but not weight it down.
May 27, 2017, 12:06 AM
Electric RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
A 3650 is a big motor for a 24" plastic boat. A 2850 would be more suitable. Such an inrunner may still overpower it, but not weight it down.
Size wise, a 3650 brushless motor is the same size as the 540 brushed motor in this boat but the torque of the brushless motor is higher. Although mods to the motor mount would be required, a 2850 motor could work. I have also heard some have installed the smaller VXL 380 brushless system with decent results.
May 28, 2017, 08:00 PM
Quote:
A 5000mAh pack is a bit too heavy for a 23" boat. It looks like the battery is stored forward, so going with larger packs will upset balance a lot. A 2200 2S lipo might fit and be of similar weight. That would give plenty of run time.
A 5000mah lipo is probably a bit lighter than the stock NiMH pack.

Quote:
The steerable outdrive is pretty cool to look at. Curious as to how it affects handling. I agree that the paint scheme doesn't appeal. I like colorful paint jobs, but that's just too "busy" for my tastes. Hopefully they are peel off stickers like their Spartan.

Can't wait for a hand-ons review by someone. Could have potential for upgrading.
This is essentially unchanged from the model they've been selling for like 15+ years, there should be lots of reviews out there.
May 28, 2017, 09:26 PM
Electric RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons
This is essentially unchanged from the model they've been selling for like 15+ years, there should be lots of reviews out there.
From what I can tell, the only thing that was upgraded was the radio system. The boat now includes their standard 2.4Ghz radio. When I first bought my Blast back in 2012, it came with the old school AM stick style TX.

Other than the new sticker job and radio system, the boat is unchanged. It probably includes the same 3000mAh 6 cell NiMh pack and ultra-slow AC wall charger too.
May 29, 2017, 12:17 AM
Quote:

The drive line will be the first thing to go in a brushless blast. The steering joints on the out drive are plastic and prone to wear. Also, if I remember correctly, the prop is not your typical Rc boat prop secured onto the shaft by a nut. Rather held on by a grub screw that threads through the base of the prop itself. Not saying it's impossible to upgrade just needs extra work and sourcing special parts.

OSE makes a shaft upgrade that will allow you to run a typical boat prop, I have them on my Villain