Hall Bulldog Racer 1200mm - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jul 26, 2017, 05:42 AM
No RTF flies like your own SB
I reckon the AUW will be around 1.3kg
The wing area is approx. 18.5dm2 -> 0.185m2
That would make the wing loading = 1.3kg / 0.185m2 = 7.03 kg/m2

My Critical Mass (another racer) has a wing loading of 5.14 kg/m2. It flies like an arrow and slows downs just fine for landing.

This one is not going to be a docile flier. I can already imagine those hot landings
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2017, 02:40 AM
Slowly but surely...
I even found a place for her in the hangar
Jul 31, 2017, 04:18 AM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Wow, what a work of art mate! Absolutely beautiful!! Can't wait to see her in the air!
Jul 31, 2017, 07:28 AM
Very nice.

Good luck with the maiden!
Aug 02, 2017, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz
And the pilot is ready to be painted
Mario, you're a rockstar. That's a sweet build. Well done.
Is that the pilot from thingiverse? I've downloaded it but having a few issues with my printer at the moment.
Aug 02, 2017, 06:18 AM
Yeah I got it from Thingiverse. Scaled up and painted now. See photos.
Send me a PM for the printer troubleshooting... I've spent quite a few hrs in that department
Aug 02, 2017, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the kind offer Mario, I'll take you up on that one.
Pilot looks great. I was trying to guess which soft drink bottle you used for the canopy
Paintwork came up a treat too.
How far off that maiden are you ?
Aug 02, 2017, 09:21 PM
I'm yet to find a canopy that can't be done with some creative cuttimg of a sofdrink bottle

Re maiden I reckon any time soon. Intentionally slowed doen the project now as the weather has been windy every weekend... wouldn't like to have a maiden-ready plane waiting on a shelf...
Aug 03, 2017, 09:28 PM
the problem is to avoid the wind, you need those clear, freezing mornings. I have another flying location that you might want to consider trying. I'll pm you about and my 3D printing debarcles
Aug 06, 2017, 01:53 AM
Oh yes!

This baby is officially maiden ready.

AUW is 1550g with a 4S 2650mAh battery.
A bit heavier than I'd like her to be but will see how she goes on maiden flight

My gut feel is that she will be fast and furious, and landings will be mostly hot!

Now I only need a calm morning at PP... maybe tomorrow morning if it doesn't rain
Aug 06, 2017, 02:17 AM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Woohoo, nice one mate! She looks awesome!!
Was hoping you could maiden her during a weekend but hope it all goes well tomorrow. Weather permitting. Hope you get some footage. All the best on her maiden flight mate.
Aug 07, 2017, 07:30 AM
Slow builder
Looks great.
Good luck with the maiden.

Al
Aug 07, 2017, 08:51 AM
No luck with the weather so far... it's been rainy and windy today and the forecast looks pretty bad for the rest of the week.
Oh well... I might have to start designing the next one whilst I wait
Aug 07, 2017, 09:23 PM
hi. it'll fly fine. just don't go crazy on the aileron input on the first few flights. my little one does just fine.
Aug 13, 2017, 02:26 AM
Hi guys,

I finally got to maiden the Bulldog this morning. She flies!!!

As I was expecting, she is quite a handful...
Take off was alright but I had to send all the time trimming thins and I didn't get a chance to try again (too gusty).
Landing was hot and quite rough but I got her back in one piece

I've got a list of things to do:
- Increase downthrust (she was going up and left all the time under power)
- Add a lot of expo and use rudder in low throws (rudder is incredibly authoritative)
- Add differential to ailerons and possibly mix some rudder (she doesn't turn well, requiring rudder input all the time)

Next flight will definitely have to be in a more friendly place as my current site is too narrow and with too many obstacles. Probably ok when I get the hang of it but too intimidating at the moment...