Sep 27, 2019, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
The contest for August was Phantom Flash. Embarrassingly enough, I didn’t get to the contest until the very end. And, not knowing how long my prior commitment would take, I didn’t bring my model. Neither did a lot of other people and the contest was between our usual three stalwarts, Bill Watson, Jim Lieuken and Don Butman. They finished in that order.

I took a picture of the score sheet and a picture of the group at the end. However, when I got home I could not find those pictures on my phone, so I don’t have the detail times or the group picture. Mia Culpa!

The next O.F.F.C contest is the One Design the design in question being the Mini Sonic. A dozen members bought kits and we will see how many are flown in the contest. Incentive to finish and fly is added because the contest is a do-back. It was to be held on Wednesday, September 26 but was postponed to Wednesday, October 2 due to floor work in the gym.
Last edited by kittyfritters; Sep 27, 2019 at 05:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2019, 09:23 PM
KF- what’s a Mini Sonic? Plans available?

BTW- it looks like we’re going to have an indoor site in the SoBay! Alondra Park gym, Lawndale. Will post info when confirmed.

Norm
Sep 28, 2019, 01:25 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani
KF- what’s a Mini Sonic? Plans available?

Norm
i'll try to fit the fuse and rudder outline on a piece of letter size paper along with flying surface dimensions and airfoil and post tomorrow here on rcg.
my guess is it would take about 3~5 hrs to scratch build.
thin plastic shopping bag covering included with kit.
prop is plastic, about 5~6 inches with plastic prop holder
wing and stab sparless, just TE/LE .
web link to kit makerwww.lasercutplanes.com/index.php?p=1_2_Kits
3/32 rubber for indoor......???
its a sport outdoor fun-model designed to take rougher landings and breezes.
js
Last edited by jswain; Sep 28, 2019 at 01:32 AM.
Sep 28, 2019, 01:59 AM
Thanks, John!
Sep 28, 2019, 03:25 AM
John
On second thought, I’ll just order a kit. I want to get a P-18 kit, too

Thanks

Norm
Oct 03, 2019, 04:03 PM
We found that 3/32 rubber was perfect for indoor.

Have fun, Jim
Oct 11, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
The One Design contest, for Mini-Sonics, went off, as scheduled, on September 25. There was a good turnout with nine entrants out of the twelve kits sold. (I could not find my model! It's in my shop somewhere.) The nine entrants got their dough back.

The contestants, flying what is essentially an outdoor model indoors, still achieved remarkably good times with seven of the nine models posting times over one minute. The contest was decided on the best flight of unlimited trys so there were few moments when there were no models in the air.

The results were:
  1. Pete Basone 83.7 seconds
  2. Don Butman 80.7
  3. Joe Whiting 79.5
  4. Bill Watson 74.5
  5. Don Smith 66.8
  6. Jim Leuken 64.8
  7. Bill Blanchard 62.9
  8. Wade Wiley 44.0 (Flown by proxy)
  9. Wynn Hammer 11.6

CD(s) Bill Watson, Dave Gee
Timer Howard Littman

The next contest will be on October 30, for No-Cal models. Don Butman, wizard of No-Cals, is the CD and he has come up with an interesting set of rules including ROG from, rolling wheels, required. Since the annual Pearl Harbor No-Cal contest will be the next week there are many Pearl Harbor eligible models being tested with landing gear.
Oct 15, 2019, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
The NoCal contest gets more interesting. Rules specify a 16 inch span (Legal) NoCal model but with a 12 gram minimum weight. Fixed landing gear with rolling wheels required, no drop off gear, and all flights must start ROG.

KF
Nov 06, 2019, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
The O.F.F.C. NoCal contest for 2019 happened on October 30. Unfortunately, there were a few astonished, "The contest is today?" remarks at the meeting and there were only 4 entries. The four of us that did fly had a lot of fun.

Now. Pete Basone and I were trimming models we expect to fly in the Pearl Harbor NoCal contest in December so he had a Zero and I had a Brewster Buffalo. Bill Watson, for some reason, probably because it was appropriate to the Black Sheep Squadron, and the model would be displayed at the AMA EXPO the following weekend built a Corsair. Don Butman, the CD for the event, brought a high winged Farman with a big barn door of a wing. With the 12 gram minimum weight and all the fighters flying gear down you could easily predict the winner.

The contest was for the total of the best two flights out of five attempts.

The results were:
  1. Don Butman.............Farman.............13 grams.........159 seconds
  2. Bill Watson...............Corsair..............12 grams..........134.7
  3. Howard Littman.........Buffalo..............12 grams............77.8
  4. Pete Basone.............Zero....................14 grams...........52.4

Winn Hammer brought his Zipper, not really legitimate since it is a model of a model, but he couldn't get it flying well enough to compete.

The November 27 contest will be a one design, P-18 Hawk, with a stock North Pacific front end. (Yes, we have a supply of them.)
Nov 30, 2019, 12:30 AM
Thread OP
The November 27th P-18 contest was rescheduled to December 4th. This was due to the weather being so bad that it would have been dangerous for many members to drive to the meeting!

December becomes a very busy contest month with the P-18 contest on the 4th, the Black Sheep Squadron's Pearl Harbor NoCal contest on the 13th and the ROG Unlimited contest on the 18th. This last because there will be no meeting on the 25th.

Keep 'Em Flying!

KF
Last edited by kittyfritters; Nov 30, 2019 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Date error
Dec 10, 2019, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
I didn't witness the P-18 contest because I had to leave right after the meeting but do have the results.

So, without the usual drama, the results were.
  1. Pete Basone...............209 seconds
  2. Don Butman..............195
  3. Will Woods................194
  4. Bill Watson................187
  5. Don Smith..................175

Don Butman's other P-18 flew 185 seconds.

The next contest is the Ed Slobad Memorial ROG Unlimited, open to any rubber powered model that can ROG, next Wednesday. Here you can find anything such as Penny Planes with landing gear. Fun!
Dec 23, 2019, 09:12 PM
Thread OP
ED SLOBAD MEMORIAL ROG UNLIMITED CONTEST

Since it is open to any rubber powered model that can ROG this is always one of the more interesting contests of the year. You never know what kind of model that people will bring. There were designed for the job models, P-18s with landing gear, Legal Eagles, and even an Embryo.

Bill Watson and Jim Leuken brought designed for the job models. Bill flew away with it, to no one’s surprise. Jim got some tough competition from the Legal Eagle and P-18 fliers. There wasn’t a dull moment with models in the air right to the end. This was a fitting end to the OFFC ‘s 2019 year.

At the meeting, the contest schedule for 2020 was finalized. We’re short CDs for three contests but we can Shanghai members as needed. OFFC members will get the contest schedule with the 2020 directory. The contest for January is Minnow on January 29th.

The contest results were: (Best single flight)

1.Bill Watson...............Own Design...........186.0 seconds
2.Paul Avery.................Legal Eagle.............111.0
3.Don Butman.............P-18.............................97.0
4.Jim Leuken................Own Design..............88.0
5.Howard Littman.....Legal Eagle................83.0
6.Joe Whiting..............Legal Eagle................76.0
Jan 22, 2020, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
At today's O.F.F.C. meeting the 2020 Directory and Contest Calendars were distributed. The Contest Calendar is as follows:
  • Date...........Event.............................. ............CD Name
  • Jan 29.......Minnow................................... ...Bill Watson
  • Feb 26 ......Delta Dart (Built on Site)....Dave Gee
  • Mar 25.......Embryo................................... ..Will Woods
  • Apr 29........No-Cal......................................TBS*
  • May 27.......Dime Scale.............................Joe Whiting
  • June 10......Outdoor Spot-Time.............Dave and Ralph
  • Jun 24.......A-6...............................................Ho ward Littman
  • Jul 29....... Peanut Scale.............................Dave Gee
  • Aug 26...... RTP Rubber Speed...............Jim Leuken
  • Sep 30.......Legal Eagle................................TBS*
  • Oct 28......One Design..............................Bill and Dave
  • Nov 25.......P-18............................................Paul Avery
  • Dec 30,,,,,,,R.O.G. Unlimited....................Ed Slobad (FBTG)

CD will issue rules for each meet, possibly with customized requirements. No griping!
Dissenters invited to volunteer as a CD next year.

Other unlisted events are possible. Anyone requesting another event will be CD for that event

TBS* indicates that the CD for this event will be shanghaied from the membership.

There was quite a bit of discussion about the RTP speed event. It looks like there will two classes, Unlimited and Racing Plane Profile Scale. The profile scale event will be No-Cal models but with all sheet construction allowed. Another possible rule for the profile scale class is to have all models use the 5 inch, Guillow's, red prop.

We shall see...

The Minnow contest is next week.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
On January 29 the OFFC Minnow contest was held at Stonehurst. Five contestants participated. Some of the models were new builds and some had been flying for over a decade.

The results were:

1. Bill Watson................................206 seconds
2. Don Butman..............................120
3. Will Woods................................106
4. Howard Littman...........................77
5. Don Martin...................................45

Bill Watson was CD.

I would have put the group picture on this post but we can’t seem to get it off Barry Daugherty’s phone..
Mar 01, 2020, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
On the morning of February 26th the OFFC once again held one of the most popular and fun contest events on its schedule, the Delta Dart Build on Site contest. Our esteemed Black Sheep Squadron President, Dave Gee, provided the materials and building boards for the mad scramble to build the models in the hour before the contest.

Of course, when Dave prints up the plans/skins for Delta Darts he can’t resist having a bit of fun with the markings! The contest was for the total of the best two attempts so there was a constant trimming effort during the contest and the times got better as the contest went on. The end of the contest was the traditional Delta Dart mass launch.

The results were:
  1. Bill Watson.......................82.0 Seconds
  2. Don Butman....................77.3
  3. Dave Gee..........................73.6
  4. Barry Daugherty............66.6
  5. Howard Littman............58.9
  6. Will Woods......................53.9
  7. Don Smith........................33.7
  8. Kurt Young.........................9.8

The mass launch winner was Dave Gee.

Quick Reply