Building a CAC Boomerang. - RC Groups
May 25, 2017, 02:39 PM
Post # 20 million
Build Log

Building a CAC Boomerang.

This is a subject I have been working on for months now and I'm determined to make a start on this. My goals are to
produce a scale-ish model of the CA 13 Boomerang around 1/7 scale with working flaps/retracts I also want a 3 blade prop.

Power: Lipo/esc/motor combo is unknown at this stage(I want to swing a scale 3-blade prop).
Retracts: I intend to use Eflite electric 60-120 size 90 degree units.
Servos: All standard size, ailerons will be slim wing servos using a rotary drive system.
Construction: Balsa and ply, built up cowl.

I have designed a rudimentary model in Google SketchUp, the fuselage, horizontal and vertical stabilizers
are able to be built but I still need to iron out a few issues concerning the wing.

This is where I'm at as of right now:

to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2017, 05:25 PM
Power Upward
I'm on board...

George
May 25, 2017, 07:17 PM
Signed on. I'm into unusual builds and have one going myself.

Looks like good progress so far!
Last edited by dion9146; May 25, 2017 at 09:49 PM.
May 25, 2017, 09:43 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Cool! Nice work.

Will watch with interest.

Shane.
May 26, 2017, 02:44 AM
F$&@ yeah,really looking forward to seeing this built.

Have you figured out a way yet to get that eerie whistle the real one has due to gun ports being on the upper side of the leading edge?

Are you going to make your plans available, I'd love to build one that size.
May 26, 2017, 11:45 AM
Post # 20 million
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyberJV44
F$&@ yeah,really looking forward to seeing this built.

Have you figured out a way yet to get that eerie whistle the real one has due to gun ports being on the upper side of the leading edge?

Are you going to make your plans available, I'd love to build one that size.
I'm happy to make plans available to anyone who wants a set, I can't guarantee how good they will be though. This is my first attempt
at a project of this size and complexity.
May 26, 2017, 01:37 PM
Looks pretty good so far
May 26, 2017, 09:29 PM
Slow builder
I love the Boomerang. Watching with interest.

Al
May 27, 2017, 12:31 AM
when you plane/plans are finished I would love a copy!!!

please

thanks hugh
May 27, 2017, 01:44 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Glad to see you taking this one on, Kev. I've had it he Boomerang on my someday list but didn't get farther than collecting some drawings and photos. Looks like you have a solid start.

My best,

Paul
May 27, 2017, 02:46 AM
Good to see this subject being done. I used to work in a hanger at an airport, one day I hear something doing a run up and remember thinking it sounded real different to everything else that normally flew there. I walk outside to the tarmac and there it is, a pristine Boomerang taxing to take off. Here's a few pics of it I took during a public airshow, it shows a few things like the gun ports, wheel covers and the size of it relative to the people. The code on the side is LB L.

- Luke -
May 27, 2017, 04:16 AM
Post # 20 million
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneson1
when you plane/plans are finished I would love a copy!!!
Sure, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne
Glad to see you taking this one on, Kev. I've had it he Boomerang on my someday list but didn't get farther than collecting some drawings and photos. Looks like you have a solid start.
Thanks, Paul. It's always been my lack of CAD skills preventing me from starting this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au_Arbiter
Good to see this subject being done. I used to work in a hanger at an airport, one day I hear something doing a run up and remember thinking it sounded real different to everything else that normally flew there. I walk outside to the tarmac and there it is, a pristine Boomerang taxing to take off. Here's a few pics of it I took during a public airshow, it shows a few things like the gun ports, wheel covers and the size of it relative to the people. The code on the side is LB L.

- Luke -
Appreciate the photos, Luke, I've added them to my collection. Some of the problem areas are where the lower cowl meets the wheel wells
and how the wing will attach to the fuselage. I want to use the traditional method of two bolts in the TE and a dowel in the LE but given the location of the wheel wells I don't think that's going to be possible.
Last edited by Kev.au; Jul 25, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
May 27, 2017, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au
Appreciate the photos, Luke, I've added them to my collection. Some of the problem areas are where the lower cowl meets the wheel wells
and how the wing will attach to the fuselage. I want to use the traditional method of two bolts in the TE and a dowel in the LE but given the location
of the wheel wells I don't think that's going to be possible.
No problem, it'll be good to see one going. With the wing attachment a different way I've seen on Alfa models warbirds that works well is to key the wing to the fuselage and fillet with a nut set into the wing. The bolt goes through a hole in the fuselage to engage the nut in the wing, with the bolt being done or undone via the battery hatch. The added bonus is that you could have the nut at the thickest part of the wing and have the mounting completely hidden. Here's a few pictures of the there models to show how it works.

- Luke -
Jul 09, 2017, 11:41 AM
Any progress on the Boomerang Kev?

This is a video of an 80" power slope scale plane flying at the Manilla Slope Fest back in 2013. Should be great motivation seeing how well this design aircraft flies.

What a beautifully unusual aircraft that looks amazing in the air. Hope to see progress soon on your CA-13 soon.

http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/gallery-...0Boomerang.htm

CAC Boomerang MSF2013 (5 min 1 sec)
Last edited by cbalgra; Jul 09, 2017 at 11:49 AM.
Jul 19, 2017, 02:17 AM
Post # 20 million
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
Any progress on the Boomerang Kev?

Hello, Thanks for the link and the video, much appreciated!. I recently purchased a 50w ebay laser cutter so i've been learning how
to operate that plus learning the software etc.. It's been fun and I have made some progress:

80% of the fuselage formers have been cut plus a few wing components.

Plus I now have a set of retracts:

Last edited by Kev.au; Jul 19, 2017 at 02:40 AM.