This thread is privately moderated by scruffy1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 24, 2017, 10:21 PM
looking up, down under
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Gearbox and 7mm Motor for minimum r/c space walker

i recently bought the described product from banggood - minimum rc spacewalker; make me immeasurably richer using the affiliate link provided - immeasurably as in very small reward, but hey! i'll take what i can get

it included a motor, but not the one they showed with the kit

product specs from my measurements are :
  • motor core 16.61mm long, 21.10 overall to end of shaft
  • 7mm core diameter with 1.0mm shaft; prop hub has correct bore for the supplied shaft
  • the propeller is markedly asymmetrical (see the pics) and there are neither mounting lugs nor screws, despite the illustrated product showing both
  • overall weight 4.1gms for components, propeller is 1.2gm but will be less with required trimming and balancing, no doubt

the mounting "hole" on the (presumably) nylon hub is 2x2mm suggesting this hub is for probably a component for one of the carbon stick fuselage models; the "front" hole forward of the 2x2 fitting is 1.35mm diameter, and might lend itself to mounting in a 1.5mm carbon rod with a little "encouragement" - see pics

the tiny motor turns over nicely unloaded on a 3.7v 1s lipo

however, due to not being what i saw in the product pics, the proposed use in either a sopwith pup or minimum rc spacewalker is not going to be possible without substantial modification

all in all not a bad product, but the buying experience was somewhat spoiled by inaccurate product details - but for ~ $4 delivered as part of the job lot, i can't get too disappointed even if i can't use it as planned
Last edited by scruffy1; May 31, 2017 at 12:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2017, 07:54 AM
I've got the same kit, but I bought the version without motor. However, I do have the power system you show, from Bangood here.

I haven't built the kit yet, because I've been preoccupied with the Tiger Moth here.

I've just been reviewing the instructions for the kit which I hope to start soon. It seems that everything you need to mount the motor is in the kit. There is a wooden tongue that fits into the 2mmx2mm square hole in the gearbox, and there are four screws that attach the motor mount to the nose of the plane. Have a look at pictures 50, 51, 52 and 66 in the installation instructions to see how it is done.

I have put one of these power systems, but the 820 version, in my Tiger Moth. I understand the Spacewalker kit has the 716 system supplied. The props and gearbox are identical except for the housing to take either the 8mm or 7mm diameter motor. I would like to use the 820 system with the Spacewalker as well, because it has ailerons and when flying outside I hope to be able to do some rolls. I think the 716 power system will be adequate for indoor flying, but the rolls might take a bit more power. I will need to check whether the motor mounting has enough space for the 820 motor.

The Tiger Moth has power to spare with the 820 power system.
Last edited by 1auriec; Jun 19, 2017 at 03:10 AM.
Aug 11, 2017, 02:56 AM
I have similar question about the Spacewalker,
What's the best motor-gearbox combination.
Have you an update if the 820 motor gearbox fits well?
I have the Fokker E3 fitted with the 716 motor, and it looks like the 820 motor would fit OK but I don't want to disassemble the Fokker to experiment. It feels fragile!
Regards, Frank

Quick Reply