RCGroups User John Taylor Battles the FAA and Wins!

RCGroups user John Taylor is a pilot just like you and me, but he chose to go up against what he felt was an unjust ruling by a govt. agency and won! Learn more and read John's thread on RCGroups.com.

Splash

The FAA Defeated By One Man

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) required all pilots of model aircraft — drones, fixed-wing RC planes and other radio controlled aircraft to register with the federal government.

Last Friday, a federal appellate court said that online registry was unlawful — at least for recreational fliers.

RCGroups user John Taylor fought over a year to beat the ruling by the FAA. John is a drone pilot just like many of us on the site and in 2015 he sued the FAA. John felt the registration requirement demanded by the FAA went against a previous law that stated the federal agency could not “promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, if the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use.”

CNBC1 (4 min 26 sec)

John Taylor said this about the case on RCGroups

"Thanks to everyone for your interest and support on this. It has been truly inspirational as the case wore on. I respect those who disagreed with my strategy, and regret the discussions have gotten heated at times. "The die is cast" in that regard, so we'll just have to hope for the best.

I raised with court the issue of what I called "the oath" the FAA made you take, and the FAA took it down before the court had a chance to act. They had no authority to make you commit to anything. BTW, I certainly respect the role of the FAA in keeping the skies safe, but I'm trying to keep that regulation reasonable and effective."

The Academy of Model Aeronautics said this about the ruling:

"A Federal appeals court struck down the FAA's registration requirement for recreational model aircraft. The court ruling is effective immediately. As such, if you have not registered with the FAA, you are no longer required under the law to do so. For those of you who have already registered with the FAA, you may be wondering what this means for you. We are currently working to obtain answers from the FAA and will share more information as it becomes available.

Please keep in mind that this is a fluid situation and there is always the possibility of a renewed push in Congress to compel federal registration for model aircraft. If that happens, rest assured that AMA will continue to advocate for your interests and keep you well informed every step of the way. We have repeatedly argued that federal registration for our community is duplicative and unnecessary, as our members already register their model aircraft with AMA. In addition, our 80-year history of safe and responsible flying demonstrates that we're not the problem. We shouldn't be burdened by overly broad regulations."

Find Out More on John's Thread on RCGroups

John has been keeping all our users up-to-date via a thread on RCGroups. You can view that here.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 24, 2017 at 11:33 PM..
May 24, 2017, 05:06 PM
Administrator
Thank you, John. You are a hero!

Jim
May 25, 2017, 12:08 AM
+1 thank you!!!

Does this still mean I have to call my local tower if I am within 5 miles of an airport and want to fly my toys?
May 25, 2017, 12:37 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt
+1 thank you!!!

Does this still mean I have to call my local tower if I am within 5 miles of an airport and want to fly my toys?
Under Advisory Circular, yes.

The only change is recreational fliers under part 101 no longer have to register. All other parts of 101 stand. My understanding is Part 107 commercial users still have to register.

Mark
May 25, 2017, 07:16 AM
Quote:
+1 thank you!!!

You still must follow Part 101. The fact that you don't know that means you need to look that up and read it.
May 25, 2017, 07:36 AM
It's the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.
May 25, 2017, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Hobby
It's the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.
Which is a law that directs FAA to write regulations and for funding. It was not a law for you to follow. The FAA essentially copied this into part 101.
May 25, 2017, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
You still must follow Part 101. The fact that you don't know that means you need to look that up and read it.
Hmm, I thought section 336 (in basic terms) says as long as your a hobbyist and follow the rules of a national organization that the FAA can't make any new rules or apply any old rules to you.

So, the way I see it... since 2012, doesn't matter what the FAA says / does... it doesn't apply if your an AMA member and following the AMA rules.

And last I checked there was nothing in the rule about contacting a tower. (http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf)

Section 336 does contain wording about contacting the tower when your with in 5 miles.

So this is actually unclear to me.... I guess AMA should add this wording to their rules.
Last edited by jelkins; May 25, 2017 at 02:00 PM.
May 25, 2017, 03:19 PM
Really section 336 is part of the 2012 FAA Reauthorization Act. It was a law that was meant for the FAA not you and me. Part 101 is almost verbatim with Section 336 but for some small details. Really it could have been bad, Section said they had to protect the NAS so they could have put restrictions on flying in navigable space for example. We were holding our breath till Part 101 came out.
May 26, 2017, 12:24 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Thank you Mr John Taylor
Your efforts are worthy of ALL of our praise.
May 26, 2017, 12:57 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Thank you Mr John Taylor. You have the courage to do what those pretending to defend our interests do not.

I suggest that since RCG, by benefit of Mr Taylor's membership here, has more power to get things done for the hobby than the AMA, that RCG immediately start sanctioning events in competition with the AMA, which include the thousands locked out of participation in events by the AMA, and suck all the oxygen out of the air! I say AMA is ripe for the picking and needs be be knocked down several notches.

RCG represents our interests far better than the AMA has in over thirty years. Time for a new sheriff in town!
May 27, 2017, 12:45 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Thank you Mr John Taylor. You have the courage to do what those pretending to defend our interests do not.

I suggest that since RCG, by benefit of Mr Taylor's membership here, has more power to get things done for the hobby than the AMA, that RCG immediately start sanctioning events in competition with the AMA, which include the thousands locked out of participation in events by the AMA, and suck all the oxygen out of the air! I say AMA is ripe for the picking and needs be be knocked down several notches.

RCG represents our interests far better than the AMA has in over thirty years. Time for a new sheriff in town!
I agree- it won't happen overnight, but The AMA has passed it's 'Glory Days', much like several Special Interest Groups that had served their purpose.

They are practicing damage control at present, and Adamantly refrain from even mentioning Mr. Taylor, much less thanking him for doing what they failed to do..
May 27, 2017, 07:32 PM
Actually they are saying that the AMA laid the groundwork for his success.
May 28, 2017, 05:27 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
+1 thank you!!!

I had trouble understanding that ruling .
The Delaware R/C Field at Lums Pond is within that distance..In 1981, we asked the Airport to place a NOTAM revealing our location at the Northeast area of the Airport. Active Aircraft use the see and avoid program.
In the many years of model flying with high activity, I'll bet the Airport is happy we DON'T call each time we're there.
May 28, 2017, 08:37 AM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2
Actually they are saying that the AMA laid the groundwork for his success.
That is generally the tack I see people and organizations take when they are attempting to save face and hide their shame. There are a couple of members here that are saying that were it not for AMA that Mr. Taylor would not have a case to fight. That is like saying that Bugatti, the maker of the Veyron should be grateful for Henry Ford and the Model T. Laughable, absolutely laughable.

Mr. Taylor accomplished what he did without help from the AMA and in spite of the AMA.

Quick Reply