This thread is privately moderated by Ssayer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 24, 2017, 03:03 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
Discussion

Hubsan H501A review

First, I got this from Banggood for testing and review. Thank you very much!

Name: D.jpg
Views: 174
Size: 199.5 KB
Description: Name: E.jpg
Views: 179
Size: 521.6 KB
Description:
Both Pics=H501A on left, H501S on right. Please note that I changed the front props to gold.

http://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-X4-AI...campaign=H501A

Unlike other things that I've reviewed, this review is a little tricky because there are three different ways to review this quad and I would like to give each way it's due. The three ways that I will review it are:

1. Stock quad (what you get in the box is what you've got) plus cellphone (the Android App is great!).
2. Stock quad plus cellphone plus FPV Monitor (or goggles).
3. Stock quad plus cellphone plus Standard Transmitter (that's what I already own). It would be the same for the advanced transmitter. I'll add also using an FPV Monitor at the end of this particular segment.
3a. add FPV Monitor.

Ok, here we go (short version):

1. Stock quad. If you're flying low and close to stuff, the only way to fly it is LOS. Period. Flying it LOS, you will see that the controls don't have any discernible lag, so... have fun. FPV though, I see the video seesaw between practically no lag all the way up to around 6 seconds lag, and if you're flying it strictly looking at your cellphone, you're cruising for a bruising. Once you get above the trees, who cares about the lag, you have time to react.
Why fly it with just your cellphone? To me, the biggest reason is way points on a map. It flies them and it does it well. That said, it also has Orbit, Follow me, Headless (which I didn't test as I will never ever use it) and RTH. One key takeoff works, once again this is a feature I don't see me using much. Another reason is that there is simply less to bring with you wherever it is that you are going to fly.

2. Stock quad plus cellphone plus FPV Monitor. See (1.) plus add the fact that you don't have FPV lag, with the added benefit of a larger screen (I have 7" monitors and a 20" monitor!). With this setup, you can fly low and close without crashing your semi-expensive quad! I only took it out about 150 meters by 100 meters up, but it was all good there.

3. Stock quad plus cellphone plus Standard Transmitter. Here, IMHO, is the sweet spot for this thing. You get all the gimmicks of the cellphone plus you get all the precision of a real controller. I don't see one yet, so I'm going make up a bracket to mount the cellphone to the standard transmitter (unless someone comes out with one first). You ask, "how can you use both?". GPS mode works great on this thing. Fingers off the controls and you have all the time in the world to switch between controllers.
---3a. Add an FPV Monitor and you can see what you're looking at WAY better, though I have to be honest, I'll probably fly this most of the time with just cellphone plus Standard Transmitter.

Ok, allowing that I've only got 4 batteries run through on this thing so far, let's touch on the features:

A. WiFi controls: Little to no lag on controls. Little to 6 seconds lag on Video.
B. Way point: This is the gimmick that has had me waiting for this thing to come out. Hubsan has done an excellent job with this, and I already love it!
C. GPS mode: Rock solid. Just make sure that you've calibrated the compass and CHECKED it with a short fly out first.
D. One key takeoff: Works as advertised.
E. Follow me: Works as advertised.
F. Orbit (Circumvolant): Works as advertised.
G. Headless: No clue, but I have every faith that it works .
H. Video/photo: Both work well. 1080P HD video. Just remember that there is no image stabilization. If it's windy, if you're flying herky jerky, you get what you get. To get pictures off of any of my quads, I don't even bother with picture mode, I just use VLC media player and pick the exact frame that I want from the video and take a snapshot.
I. Return to Home: Very good with the exception that I would (will) mod it to a greater minimum height.
J. 20 minutes Flight Time: Pretty darn close to 20 minutes.

As I get more batteries through it, I'll be updating my review (I've reserved the next post for updates). Even at this point though, I have to say (and remember these are only MY opinion *and we all know that opinions are only worth what you paid for them* )...

Stock: Good.
Stock plus FPV Monitor: Better.
Stock plus Standard Transmitter: Best

You can buy the transmitter separately. I got mine when I bought my H501S... Just in case anyone is interested, here is a link to just the transmitter.
https://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-H501...p-1045995.html
Last edited by Ssayer; May 25, 2017 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Edited caption for the pictures
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2017, 03:04 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
I'm no where near done with this review so I've Reserved this post for additions as my flight time increases...

Just a thought... in the next post down on my blog here, I talk about a gun case that is perfect for transporting this quad with all the accessories!

05/27/17: Update #1... The rains finally stopped and I got a couple more batteries in this morning. I flew about 50% with the phone's controls and 50% with the standard transmitter. LOS while down low, the phone's controls are actually very good. Also, for whatever reason, the video wasn't as laggy as my previous trials. It's REAL nice looking at the (almost) live video on the phone (presuming you have a decent phone). I'm getting more and more used to controlling with it. That said, if you already own a H501S, this quad is a very nice upgrade because of the WiFi goodies. If you don't own a H501S, you really want to get the transmitter. You get the best of both worlds that way!
Last edited by Ssayer; May 27, 2017 at 09:34 AM.
May 24, 2017, 10:14 PM
Banggood Staff
Nice! Thank you!
May 25, 2017, 07:07 AM
Does it come with Gold and Black Propellers? I thought they were all black.
May 25, 2017, 07:16 AM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGusano
Does it come with Gold and Black Propellers? I thought they were all black.
Ahhh, I wasn't even thinking about that when I took the pictures of the two quads side by side. You are right that the stock props are all black. I bought gold props for the front so that I could have an easy reference when flying LOS for which way the quad is facing. I'll update the caption for the pictures. Thanks!
May 27, 2017, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssayer
If you don't own a H501S, you really want to get the transmitter. You get the best of both worlds that way!
Is it flyable to you with just the cell phone or do I need to get the standard transmitter right away or will I be happy enuf to start with and get the transmitter down the road???
May 27, 2017, 01:10 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
It's very flyable with my cellphone, just takes some getting used to. Just remember... close to the ground or close to anything else... LOS is the only way to fly it. Up and away from things, you're good to go with your cellphone. So, certainly you'd be fine to just use your cellphone to start with. Like I said though, the sweet spot is when you use both controllers (in MY opinion only, of course)...
Jun 07, 2017, 11:17 AM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP

Extra camera mount

Since I do most of my flying at home, and I have a ton of trees on my acreage, just looking straight out doesn't do it for me. So, I made up some extended legs and a camera mount (can't beat a 3D Printer, eh?).

Pics of the legs and the mount for my Eachine 3-in-1 200mW camera from Banggood (https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX0...p-1088368.html ):
Name: 20170607_112502a.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 111.8 KB
Description: Name: 20170607_112514a.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 113.8 KB
Description:

I'm still printing the mount for my Mobius camera (records at 1080P, don't you know!) which I'll use with my Vtx02 ( https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-VTX...p-1114204.html ).

I'll put pics for it up when I get to that point.
Jun 13, 2017, 10:36 AM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
Here it is simply with the Mobius. No transmitter yet as I'm still debating on getting the Mobius Mini and putting the transmitter on it.
Name: 20170613_110445a.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 167.9 KB
Description: Name: 20170613_110511a.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 163.1 KB
Description:
Jun 27, 2017, 02:18 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
I've got a Runcam Split coming to get FPV and HD with the cam that's pointing down at a 30 angle with less lag then I get from the Mobius (supposedly). It's on the way, so it shouldn't be too long before I find out. Seems promising!
Dec 06, 2017, 10:02 AM
Sorry for replying on an older post. I just ordered the H501A and I'm very excited. Does anyone know if the TX for the H107D would work with the H501A?

Thanks!
Dec 06, 2017, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTheGreat
Sorry for replying on an older post. I just ordered the H501A and I'm very excited. Does anyone know if the TX for the H107D would work with the H501A?

Thanks!
yes it would be working
Dec 06, 2017, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokelat70
yes it would be working
Cool. I'm actually thinking of picking up the H907A TX. I'm wondering if someone with the WiFi Repeater could tell me what the hole is at the bottom of the unit. From pictures, it looks like a tripod mount. If that is the case, it would probably be easy to mount the repeater to the H907A TX.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777J7S6F or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07538BHBL
Last edited by AdamTheGreat; Dec 06, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Dec 06, 2017, 03:59 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTheGreat
Cool. I'm actually thinking of picking up the H907A TX. I'm wondering if someone with the WiFi Repeater could tell me what the hole is at the bottom of the unit. From pictures, it looks like a tripod mount. If that is the case, it would probably be easy to mount the repeater to the H907A TX.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777J7S6F or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07538BHBL
The hole on the bottom is unthreaded. That said, seeing as it's plastic, I don't see how it would be that hard to either thread it, or make up an adapter to mount it if you're any kind of a DIYer.
Dec 06, 2017, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssayer
The hole on the bottom is unthreaded. That said, seeing as it's plastic, I don't see how it would be that hard to either thread it, or make up an adapter to mount it if you're any kind of a DIYer.
Cool. I'll give it a shot and post the results.

Quick Reply