May 23, 2017, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sterling Century Sea Maid restoration

Hi,
New member here and this is my first post. I've been a longtime lurker reading all of the awesome build threads. I'm starting on a project for my dad restoring this beat up old Century. As you can see there is a lot of damaged areas that will need attention.

I've tried searching here and elsewhere but too no avail... Has anyone actually gone ahead and finally made a pattern from one of these yet? If so, a link or scan would be great. Most of the deck framing is missing on this boat as is the engine hatch, seats etc and I would like to get this back as close to original as possible. I purchased an NOS deck fitting set on eBay but haven't found a reasonable kit for the instructions or missing parts.

Any tips on how to loosen up that old glue would be great so I can get into the stem and do a proper repair?

Thanks,
Joe
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2017, 06:47 AM
Put a wanted add in the boat classifieds section.
May 24, 2017, 08:23 AM

Sea Maid Plans

Hi , Please send me an email and I can send a pdf file of the Sterling Sea Maid plans . the size will not allow me to post them here. Sterling never put drawing s of their parts in their plans . I currently do not have the parts drawings. [email protected] Thank you, Gary
May 24, 2017, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glgirvin
Hi , Please send me an email and I can send a pdf file of the Sterling Sea Maid plans . the size will not allow me to post them here. Sterling never put drawing s of their parts in their plans . I currently do not have the parts drawings. [email protected] Thank you, Gary
Hi Gary,
Thank you. I'll send an email to you shortly. I am surprised that after all of these years, nobody has taken the time to make a drawing of the parts from an unbuilt kit.

Hopefully, I can get my questions answered with the instructions. 😉

Thanks again,
Joe
May 24, 2017, 04:42 PM
Boats on the brain!!
By the time I got into boats, all I wanted to do was build then. Never thought about tracing parts.
May 24, 2017, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
By the time I got into boats, all I wanted to do was build then. Never thought about tracing parts.
I might try it... I have to remove some of the mahogany from the boat to make repairs so while it's apart, I can try to make paper patterns from the frames and stem/keel. Worth a shot anyway, haha.
May 25, 2017, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrkhotrods
I might try it... I have to remove some of the mahogany from the boat to make repairs so while it's apart, I can try to make paper patterns from the frames and stem/keel. Worth a shot anyway, haha.
if you do, and if you can scan them, we can put them up on the forum, and on a web site ; http://oldboats.tk/Sterling1.html

This way, we can save the old boats for the generations to come....
May 29, 2017, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
Deconstruction has begun. The glue literally is just flaking off but the filler they used on the stem is like concrete... I'll be making patterns while it's apart, that is my project for the day... 😉

Joe

Gary, thank you for the copy of the instructions! I'll message you with the deck members I need patterns of...
May 29, 2017, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Well, deconstruction of the hull is mostly complete. I removed the one half of the bottom since there was a substantial amount of buckling and numerous large splits. I will reuse the front portion and splice in a piece about 8" back from the stem to the stern. The balsa stem was broken which helped greatly to gain access to the bow once it was removed, allowing me to be able to remove the 3/16" of plastic wood they used to repair the stem. The wood now will fit back together the way it's supposed to. The sides both have a few splits at the stem that will close up pretty good once reassembly begins. I will have to use a little amount of filler. That will be made using wood glue and sanding the piece removed from the bottom.

I have to make a few repairs to the frame where it's mainly broken but also one section that has rotted. I will be taking patterns of the frame members tonight.

Joe
Jun 01, 2017, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
I ended up taking the entire boat apart. The glue that was used is complete garbage. Since it's completely apart, I can now make proper repairs to the frame members. I will be making patterns from this for future use/reference.

Here's some pics from today's adventure...

Joe
Jun 02, 2017, 12:09 PM
If you just put the parts on a scanner you can easily get some patterns. If you do that, put a backing sheet with a 1" marker on the scanner, and if you have any long parts, they can be scanned on two sheets so long as you can make some kind of mark where they need to be joined...
Jun 03, 2017, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
If you just put the parts on a scanner you can easily get some patterns. If you do that, put a backing sheet with a 1" marker on the scanner, and if you have any long parts, they can be scanned on two sheets so long as you can make some kind of mark where they need to be joined...
Hi Dodgy,
That would be awesome but I don't have access to a scanner. I did it the old fashioned way and traced the frames. I can have kinkos scan it in once I'm finished and post up the PDF file for future use by others. Here's where I'm at so far. This is the keel, stem, ribs and transom. The other sheet is the floorboard and side panel for the interior and the last sheet is the chines and sheers. I have to fabricate the deck frames then I can make drawings from them also for a complete set of patterns.

Joe
Last edited by Hrkhotrods; Jun 04, 2017 at 06:26 AM.
Jun 04, 2017, 02:57 AM
They look brilliant!! But, if you are going to have them scanned to a .pdf, please do include a 1" (or any other measurement!) marker.

The scanning process can often change dimensions slightly, and then when people print off .PDFs on their own printer their local settings may alter the scale again. It's really handy to be able to measure a known dimension and confirm that the sizes are accurate.
Jun 04, 2017, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
Will do... :-)
Jul 02, 2019, 01:49 AM

Sterling Seamaid Parts Drawing

Hi Joe, did you suceed in restoring your Dad's Seamaid?

I am extremely interested in the pdf of the Sterling Seamaid parts (frames, keel, sides) , can somebody share them, pls. If it is too large I can provide my e-mail in a private message.

Quick Reply