Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Tower Hobbies MkII Mustang - RCGroups Review

Tower Hobbies has taken advantage of the P-51s historical past with their new line of MkII Mustangs. These little racers come with everything but your favorite radio system pre-installed, and have the options for functioning flaps and retracts. With four color schemes to choose from you will be sure to find the one that suites your personal style. Let's jump right in and take a closer look at these great handling racers.

Splash

Tower Hobbies MkII Mustang

Product:Tower Hobbies P-51 MkII Mustang
Retail price:$109.99
Wing Span:40"
Length:34"
Construction:Aerocell foam
Motor:1000kv brushless
ESC:30A
Weight:30-35oz
Batteries:3s 1000-3300Mah
Retracts/Flaps:Optional
Available from:Tower Hobbies

Once WWII ended, the North American P-51 Mustang was looking for a new gig. After very little debate, it settled on air racing! With its speed and agility it was a perfect fit for this action packed adrenaline junkies dream.

Tower Hobbies has released its line of MkII Mustangs to pay homage to this decorated war hero and race champion. With four schemes to choose from, optional flaps and retracts, this little racer would be the perfect addition to your pylon racing hanger. Let's speed on down and take a closer look at this historic airframe.

On the Bench

The Tower Hobbies MkII Mustang arrived at the shop in a well-packed box with no damage. This version came with all the electronics pre-installed with the exception of the radio equipment and the optional flaps and retracts. I decided to go with all of the available options on this bird, so all I had to do was install the flaps hardware, servos, and the retracts. Everything fit as intended so this process only took me a few minutes to complete.

Reviewers Note: Make sure you use a new blade while cutting your flap surfaces free from the wing to prevent "pilling" of the foam. Foam dulls hobby blades very quickly, so I used a new blade on each side just to be safe. Blades are cheap and both are still usable for other applications. You will also want to make sure and use a "foam safe" CA for your control horn installation. I always test a little drop somewhere on the inside of the fuse to make sure it works without damaging the foam.

On the Servo itself, I just used a little dab of Foam Tac by Beacon Adhesives to secure it to the wing. This should be plenty of holding power for the flap servos. Again make sure you test the glue on a hidden part of the airframe to check to see that it doesn't damage it. Even when I have used adhesives on other planes of the same construction, I still test it to make sure it's good. The chemicals used to make all these things can vary from run to run causing the chance they may react differently. So I just play it safe!

A nice feature I wanted to note is that Tower had the great idea of making channels on the inside of the wing to run the wires that lead to the flaps and retracts. This prevents the use of the tape you see on many models of this type needed to hold the wires. This version is much cleaner, and more scale looking as well. It takes a bit of finesse, but you should have no problem with the install. What this review does is use a bit of old servo rod wire I happen to have laying around. I take a small piece of masking tape and tape the servo lead to the end of the rod. Then I just work the wire through the wing using the rod. Easy Peasy!

Flight Review

So now that I have the simple build all done, it's time to get to the field to check out how this bad boy flies! One of the first things I noticed right off the bat, was that the smaller wheels made it a little difficult to take off from a grass field. I shot this video at Joe Nall, and that grass is like a putting green, so most people will need to make use of a hand launch to get the MkII in the air. It has plenty of power to make a hand launch very simple to perform, and you should have no problem getting airborne. With a plane this size, the wheel issue is very common on grass fields.

Once in the air, I found the MkII Mustang has plenty of power and flies great. I had no issues at all with any and all sport aerobatic maneuvers. Loops, rolls, inverted, knife edge, etc., the MkII has plenty of power to perform these with ease and it tracks like an arrow. If there was anything that I would like to see Tower do with this line, it's to add a little more speed. If they went to say a 400-500kv motor it would be more of a racer. The 1000kv that is pre-installed has plenty of power mind you, I would just like to see some more speed.

I noticed no bad flying tendencies with the MkII Mustang at all. I didn't set this one up with any kind of stabilization system and still flew very well. We had a slight wind of around 5-8mph, and the airframe didn't even notice, which for a plane this size is very nice. The optional flaps slowed the MkII down nicely, and it only required a 5% mix of down elevator to keep it from ballooning once the flaps were deployed.

Video Review:

Tower Hobbies P 51 MkII Mustang Review (3 min 26 sec)

In Closing

In closing, the Tower Hobbies MkII Mustang is a great flying little park flyer with plenty of power and stability for all of the sport aerobatics you can throw at it. With a little more speed it would be and excellent pylon racer style airframe that would just be a blast to race with. Having four available color schemes, there is something for every taste and I am sure they have one that matches yours. So if you are looking for a great flying little racer with great looks and performance then the Tower Hobbies MkII Mustang should definitely be on your short list! ~Mean Joe

More Info

For more information on the Tower Hobbies MkII Mustang and the gear used, check out these links:

Tower Hobbies MkII Mustang

Radio Used: Futaba 10J

Receiver Used: Futaba 2006GS

Battery: Electrifly 3S 2200MaH

Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 30, 2017 at 08:58 AM..
May 30, 2017, 09:20 AM
Its EPO so any CA glue will work. I like the colors on this one.
May 30, 2017, 09:48 AM
KY3JBD
Throw a 4cell in there, you will have more speed.
May 30, 2017, 09:51 AM
My friend has one and he said hes going to put a 3536 1400kv and 4s , should really make it go. We used to run that setup in the old Parkzone P-51
May 30, 2017, 10:19 AM
KY3JBD
I run a 4s 2200mah in my all stock Millinium master that has the ssame power train as this Mustang and it really wakes it up! unlimited vertical! No issues so far!
May 30, 2017, 08:08 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Cool.

They stuck the aircores into a machine and hit the supersize button.
May 30, 2017, 08:22 PM
Out Standing In The Field
No need to swap out the motor or go 4S for more speed.
The stock motor really likes the Master Airscrew 10x8E prop. I have one on my MKII Racer Red, Hellcat and Corsair. Great pull & speed without a lot of current. They do need to be balanced, though.
All the Tower warbirds fly way better without gear. Also, they mount the gear too far back for grass field operations.
They are best value for this type of foam warbird I've found!
May 30, 2017, 09:02 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
If this thing is anything like the Hellcat in design it'll be a great plane for the price. I like the option for adding the LG. I had the Hellcat on stock motor using 2 blade prop and 4s for a long time, it was a VERY stable plane and loved it.
Jun 02, 2017, 10:34 AM
MN WATTS Master
A 9x9 APC prop is a nice balance for this plane on 3s or 4s. You do want to be careful not to overdo the 4s speed runs as it's pushing the ESC at it's max. It's best to have a cooling lap or two before landing after running it hard. But a fun plane indeed.