The ReadyMadeRC Strix Stratosurfer - RCGroups Review - RC Groups

The ReadyMadeRC Strix Stratosurfer - RCGroups Review

The new Strix Stratosurfer from ReadyMadeRC is durable and quite agile. A new take on the surfer style airframe, the Stratosurfer features a plastic fuselage and a ballistic 2212 2200kv motor. Join editor Matt Gunn as he builds and flies the Stratosurfer fast and low!

Splash

A New Take on a Classic FPV Airframe

Product:Strix Stratosurfer
Price:$139.99 PNP
Wingspan:59"
Motor:$2212 2200kv
ESC: 30a
Servos:4x 9-gram
Battery used:3s 4000mAh and 3s 5000mAh
Flight Controller used:Eagle Tree Micro Vector
VTx used:RMRC 600mw 1.2GHz
Antenna used:TrueRC Canada Singularity
FPV Camera used:Runcam Swift
HD Camera used:Foxeer Legend
Available from:ReadyMadeRC

The pusher-style foam airplane that resembles the classic "EZ-Star" and Skysurfer has been around for a while, and has seen countless versions, but one design that's taken it a step further is the new Strix Stratosurfer. Constructed of EPO foam and injection-molded orange plastic, the Stratosurfer is both durable and nimble. In this review, I'll outfit the Stratosurfer with an Eagle Tree Micro Vector, a Dragonlink 433mHz LRS, and a 1.2GHz FPV system, and do some down-low proximity flying at my favorite FPV spot. Let's get started!

What's Included

The Strix Stratosurfer PNP includes a 2212 2200Kv Motor, 30A esc, 9 gram servos (flap servos are not included) and a 6x4 propeller.

The fuselage is made of injection molded plastic and is actually very light; definitely not any heavier than my Bix3 and Bixler 2 FPV airframes. The plane assembles quickly by joining the wings and dropping the motor pod down on top; four machine screws hold everything tightly together.

The tail surfaces also attach quickly with a single machine screw through the bottom of the fuse. Although not necessary, I added some Goop adhesive when bolting them together for a permanent fit

The wings come with 9-gram servos installed, and as with most pushed planes of this style, flap servos are not included. It should be noted that the aileron pushrods required a few turns of the clevis to center them when everything was plugged in.

The motor pod bolts to the top of the fuselage and holds the wings on. It comes with a 2212 2200kv motor that's usually reserved for racing quads in the 250-sized class. The 6-inch propeller looks deceivingly small, but I'll address that in the flight report...

The Eagle Tree Micro Vector

I installed an Eagle Tree Micro Vector in the Stratosurfer, although a full-sized Vector could easily fit. The Vector's GPS unit was placed on the rear deck, and the Dragonlink 433MHz long range antenna was routed out the fuselage in front of the GPS. The Micro Vector is a flight controller, OSD, and "insurance policy" packed into one compact plastic case. Coupled with the GPS, the Micro Vector allows for a very robust data stream that tells the pilot info about the aircraft's speed, altitude, location, distance from home, direction home, battery amperage and voltage, and many other important aspects of the flight. The Micro Vector retails for under $120, with add-on's for the GPS and current sensor.

CLICK HERE for more info on the Eagle Tree Micro Vector and Vector controllers.

TrueRC Canada Singularity 1.2GHz Antenna

The Singularity (outside of simple astrophysics) is a compact 1.2GHz antenna developed by TrueRC and available at ReadyMadeRC. Traditional omni antennas in this frequency have always been large, subjecting the aircraft carrying one to increased drag and decreased flight performance. Now you can say goodbye to parasitic drag with the Singularity 1280. The Singularity boasts a very respectable 1.6 dBic with a 1.0 axial ratio. The Singularity 1280 is available at ReadyMadeRC for $29.99.

CLICK HERE to order the TrueRC Singularity 1280

Review Video

ReadyMadeRC Strix Stratosurfer - RCGroups Review (8 min 32 sec)

Flight Report

Ok, I'll admit it, I didn't expect the Stratosurfer to be this much fun, nor to have such agile flight characteristics; I should have known better though... after all, the Stratosurfer is from ReadyMadeRC! The plastic fuselage adds much needed rigidity to the surfer-style airframe, and the 2212 2200kv motor does all the rest! Launch the Stratosurfer at 3/4 throttle for a nice takeoff with just a little sink. Once on the wing, you can now explore your field at an easy 1/2 throttle cruise, or go full-tilt and push the airframe to speeds around 65 mph with help of the little 6x4 prop. Down low and on the deck, the Stratosurfer responds quickly to inputs from the ailerons, elevator, and rudder. I found that coordinated rudder really helped turn the nose when I was near fixed objects, and it made me feel much more at ease about proximity flying than some of my rudderless wings.

Amp draw is right at 20 amps max on a topped off 3-cell pack, and with 5000mAh, I was easily able to get 12 minutes of almost wide-open flight time, which is quite impressive. Throttled back, you could cruise around effortlessly for nearly 20 minutes or possibly more. Landing the Stratosurfer is a textbook affair; just bleed off some airspeed and stay light on the elevator as you decrease altitude. It's easy to land hot, but rest assured that the Strix Stratosurfer and slow down nicely without tip stalling, so don't be afraid to gradually pull back on the elevator before touchdown. In the review video below, I landed it on some pretty rough terrain, and even did a high speed skip off a gravel road, with no damage to the bottom of the fuselage.

Conclusion

The Strix Stratosurfer takes the pusher FPV airplane to the next level of performance with a plastic fuselage, double carbon-sparred wings, and a racing quad 2212 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop; the combo is quite fast on 3s and provides plenty of thrust as well. If you're looking for your next FPV aircraft that can easily pull double duty as an FPV trainer and a high performance FPV sport flyer, look no further than the Strix Stratosurfer, available from ReadyMadeRC.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 23, 2017 at 04:28 PM..
May 23, 2017, 11:08 PM
Permanently Banned
This looks awesome. How is the thrust angle?
May 23, 2017, 11:33 PM
Not a fan of putting servos in the tail ... every ounce in the tail needs 4 ounces in the nose to counter . If the fuse is any thing like the first star and raptor it would be heavier than a normal bixler . looks too much like my raptor v2 and I dont use it because its a whale .
May 24, 2017, 07:07 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackkanga
Not a fan of putting servos in the tail ... every ounce in the tail needs 4 ounces in the nose to counter . If the fuse is any thing like the first star and raptor it would be heavier than a normal bixler . looks too much like my raptor v2 and I don't use it because its a whale .
Did you watch the video? She's very nimble and fast... the word whale shouldn't be used in the same room as this plane!
May 24, 2017, 07:08 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac96
This looks awesome. How is the thrust angle?
Only the slightest hint of down thrust at full speed.; it's very minimal. If you trim for straight and level at 3/4 throttle, you won't even notice the change at different throttle settings.
May 24, 2017, 05:36 PM
I get high when I fly
Great review Matt!!
May 24, 2017, 06:45 PM
Matt,
What is the the weight of your aircraft?
What is the max gross weight for the StratoSurfer?
May 24, 2017, 07:24 PM
Strix Stratosurfer Is an absolute Incredible plane. Great all around plane!
May 24, 2017, 10:33 PM
Permanently Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Only the slightest hint of down thrust at full speed.; it's very minimal. If you trim for straight and level at 3/4 throttle, you won't even notice the change at different throttle settings.
That's great. The plastic fuse seems to really stiffen it. How well would it fare in a crash?
May 24, 2017, 11:11 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidchisel
Matt,
What is the the weight of your aircraft?
What is the max gross weight for the StratoSurfer?
I'm weighing it in the morning for ya!
May 27, 2017, 12:15 PM

Strato Surfer

Matt
Thanks for the review.
I have placed an order for one to replace my Phat EPP Phoenix after it went down in flames with folded wings.
Do you know what the max. flying weight is for the StratoSurfer?
I don't want to repeat my Phoenix Phail.
May 29, 2017, 12:40 PM
+1 on the weight question. I didn't like how the Firstar Raptor flew due to the extra weight of the plastic fuse, but maybe this has enough wing area to counter it.
May 30, 2017, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Did you watch the video? She's very nimble and fast... the word whale shouldn't be used in the same room as this plane!
The motor is 3 times the size of a bixler .. so yeah I guess it would be fast .. but the attraction of the original was it was a light weight floater and thermaling glider. running a 2200mah ... I doubt the surfer would even balance with a 2000mah lipo.
The Raptor is in the same boat .... huge motor with big power needs .. once again a fast plane but no good for thermaling as its way too heavy as well. The Ranger was a flop for the same reasons....heavy arrrgh the Ranger really was a whale Not a fan of heavy plastic fuses. But it really does not matter as the cost is almost $200.00 AUD + another $100.00 AUD for postage so that means that I dont think I will be ordering one any time soon .
My Zeta draws less than 10 amps and weighs in at only 1.4kg fully loaded .. it will thermal for hours with no power on . A rock will fly fast with enough power .. I am old school ., keep the plane as light as possible and use efficient motors ...
Last edited by outbackkanga; May 30, 2017 at 04:58 AM.
May 30, 2017, 07:39 AM
RCGroups Editor
Because you like to thermal FPV doesn't necessarily make you old school - I've been flying FPV since the Black Widow days with on 900mhz and there's always been an equal mix of duration flyers and performance FPV flyers. There's different airframes for different purposes, and this one falls into the performance category nicely. Want to fly duration and distance? Pick a Skyhunter or a Bix2 with an 8" prop (or many others), but please don't discredit an airframe just because it doesn't fall into your style of flying.
Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 30, 2017 at 09:52 AM.
May 30, 2017, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Because you like to thermal FPV doesn't necessarily make you old school - I've been flying FPV since the Black Widow days with on 900mhz and there's always been an equal mix of duration flyers and performance FPV flyers. There's different airframes for different purposes, and this one falls into the performance category nicely. Want to fly duration and distance? Pick a Skyhunter or a Bix2 with an 8" prop (or many others), but please don't discredit an airframe just because it doesn't fall into your style of flying.
Not a really discredit , just a mite disapointed as there are not really any other 1600 "Bixler style "Class available, and the bix 3 is not even in the running was hoping this may of fit the bill so to speak .