Pitcairn PA36 in EPP - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 07, 2017, 09:56 PM
Werner
Comparing your plan with the three view at the same size that Joe found...there is very little difference and so I must complement you in able to draw up such a good plan.
I must admit that the three view doe's not look the same s the flying footage.
Your plan looks more like the flying footage than the three view..
I'm thinking that Joe must have a book as reference for the pictures ..because I have been hunting all over the place and came up empty handed.
Chris...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2017, 03:47 AM
A minute decission made me spray the body silver. The result is "as expected", but I think once the windows are back and maybe a few extras it might be an improvement. Unfortunatelly forgot to make a befor -after weight comparison.
Sep 11, 2017, 07:37 PM
Good thinking. I'm sure that it will look great "in flight"..and isn't that what it's all about.
Do you think the paint stay on after the body takes one of your major ..lets say abrupt landings.?
Chris...
Sep 12, 2017, 01:53 AM
I am not planning for any more "abrupt landings" !!! . But I test the paint on a piece of scrap EPP, bent an bounced it a bit and it held on surprisingly well . There should be a lot of experience with all thouse Whippits.
Sep 12, 2017, 04:48 AM
I'm sure you'l keep us up to date with the paint work......."abrupt landings"---I like that
Chris...
Sep 15, 2017, 10:59 AM
Don't blame me! You asked for it
Thinking about adding rivets and splice lines with black edding.
Sep 15, 2017, 11:11 PM
RC Group therapist

Nice build

Hello Wernersen,

I like your EPP mold technique very much. Did you post somewhere about the positive blank you made? If so I missed it. I was curious as to how you made the positive blank. Cooking the EPP in the fashion you did seems like brilliant simplicity to me. It made me think of the abundance of scale wood models available on ebay. It's a fine Gyro you've built, and from the videos; it's clearly very durable.

Regards,
-Mike
Sep 16, 2017, 12:20 AM
That scale touch really set's it off.............may be needing some decals like that soon ..if all goes to plan.
happy Landings
Chris...
Sep 17, 2017, 05:19 AM
Mike... There is a little bit in the other PA36 thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...PA36-Parkflyer
The plugs were wire cut in two dimensions from bluefoam, then cut and sanded to shape. Later I covered them with plaster and sanded again. For the epp molding I placed the plug halves on a sturdy wooden board cut to schape and covered them in aluminum foil as heat protection.
You need the wooden board as it takes quit some force to wrap the EPP. Don't know if foil or plaster is necessary. Heatprotection seemed reasonable as blue foam melts at about 100C EPP at around 130C.
So by rights the whole process can't work

Turns out the plug has suffered as I just realized removing the aluminum for the picture.
Sep 17, 2017, 05:51 AM
RC Group therapist
Thank you Sir. Very interesting technique.
Sep 17, 2017, 11:39 AM
Mike, what kind of "abundance of scale wood models" did you have in mind? sounds interesting.

first flights in new desing:
PA-36 in a new dress (1 min 21 sec)
Sep 18, 2017, 12:41 PM
Final touches and air outlets finished.
Sep 19, 2017, 09:59 PM
RC Group therapist
I'm referring to all the craved wood models you can find on Ebay. Just search scale wood model.
Sep 20, 2017, 08:07 PM
Very neat air duct.
Sep 28, 2017, 07:55 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
NICE! Love that model!